Not paid for time worked.

kingOFchester

Sups and mangers that ride us and try to force us to accomplish the impossible are jerks.

Sups and managers that steal money from a part timer are scum, dirt bags, rats, snakes, :censored2:s, the epidemy of a cesspool, the lowest of lows......need I go on??

over9five

Staff member
Sups and mangers that ride us and try to force us to accomplish the impossible are jerks.

Sups and managers that steal money from a part timer are scum, dirt bags, rats, snakes, :censored2:s, the epidemy of a cesspool, the lowest of lows......need I go on??
I agree this money was stolen from him. The sup should be fired for the thief that she is.

laffter

Stop coming in early you don't have to and they can't force you to. When they ask you why your not coming in early tell you have been paid for the times you came in early before.

Why would you want to start early just to help out your sup ? If they are overloaded they need to hire more people.

The agreement was to start early to help myself, and be paid for it. Showing up to a slide 1/3 full of bulk (I have a huge slide, too) slows me down for the entire day, while making my work more difficult. Yes, I know, work as directed. In any case, the agreement involved payment, not free work. My time should have been manually adjusted either at the end of the shift each day, or at the end of the week.

I've been double shifting this week. I tracked down the steward for the twilight shift and obtained a grievance form from him. He explained how to fill it out, and I will ready it for my shift tomorrow. I will track down the steward for my shift, and if he/she is unable to fix the issue that day, I will submit the form to him/her.

The steward asked me how my attendance was, and how well I perform my work. I guess he suspects that if the answer is "poor", they might try to retaliate.

laffter

This story has a surprise ending.

Rather than taking the route suggested in this thread, I decided to speak to the preload manager on my own. On my way out yesterday, I talked to him, and he said he would look into it.

On my way into work this morning, my full time sup took me and my former pt time sup into an office to get our stories. The pt time sup didn't deny the conversation took place, but said he knew nothing of me getting paid for this early start time.

I went to my area to start working... arriving to a slide nearly full of bulk, misc packages, and packages for a car I didn't even have in my area. Hooray for Fridays. The full time sup comes by ten minutes later and tells me that she asked my former sup (the third person in our conversation), and he denied ever having the conversation or suggesting that I should come in early. She then said she will go back and check my time card for those two weeks. Later on in the day I was told to speak with the preload manager on my way out.

He took me to an office and told me he will adjust my time card for this week, adding 20min to each day.
He gave me a printout that is supposed to show where the adjustments will be made... although I don't quite understand how to read it.

It will be interesting to see if this actually happens. I've been keeping track of all my time, so I will definitely see an extra 100min added.

over9five

Staff member
How can your sup ever look you in the eye again after having lied to the managers face right in front of you? YOU will always know what a pos she is anytime you speak with her. And she'll know that you know this.

Management like this we DO NOT NEED.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
It does no good to get all over laffter here. Simple education it what he needs. To him, and any other newbies here: First of all, if a sup says something funky, like working before your start time, even if it makes your work day easier, stop and ask yourself, who really benefits from this? laffter's situation, obviously, benefits the preload and the sups more than anyone else. So what if it makes your day easier? you guys/gals are here to make money, not work as easy as possible. Too much bulk? That's a management issue. Think this through...Too much bulk, more time and money for you.

Second: always keep track of your time, whether you are a driver or a part-timer. Mistakes WILL be made. Most of the time they aren't even intentional, but does that really matter? If you don't keep track of your time, you would never know you were shorted. So always keep track of your hours.

Third: do not be surprised but your sup's actions. If you work here long enough, you will find this isn't an isolated incident. Maybe it's pressure, maybe it's just a stain on humanity, but don't be surprised when it happens, because it will.

Also--check with anonymous for sure--it used to be that if you started before your posted start time, that time before the posted time was overtime. Not sure if that is still true, but it's worth checking.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It does no good to get all over laffter here. Simple education it what he needs. To him, and any other newbies here: First of all, if a sup says something funky, like working before your start time, even if it makes your work day easier, stop and ask yourself, who really benefits from this? laffter's situation, obviously, benefits the preload and the sups more than anyone else. So what if it makes your day easier? you guys/gals are here to make money, not work as easy as possible. Too much bulk? That's a management issue. Think this through...Too much bulk, more time and money for you.

Second: always keep track of your time, whether you are a driver or a part-timer. Mistakes WILL be made. Most of the time they aren't even intentional, but does that really matter? If you don't keep track of your time, you would never know you were shorted. So always keep track of your hours.

Third: do not be surprised but your sup's actions. If you work here long enough, you will find this isn't an isolated incident. Maybe it's pressure, maybe it's just a stain on humanity, but don't be surprised when it happens, because it will.

Also--check with anonymous for sure--it used to be that if you started before your posted start time, that time before the posted time was overtime. Not sure if that is still true, but it's worth checking.
The OT before start time is probably a supplement thing. It's in our NE supplement.

Floridacargocat

Electronic records are a wonderful thing, so accurate and precise. And still they can be altered by anyone having the proper passwords, either for proper changes or for other purposes.
From my own experience, it is IMPERATIVE that workers write down their ACTUAL work times incl. remarks about approved earlier start times. Further, this helps in comparing actual work times vs. paid work time.
It is a fact that untruthful alterations can be swept under the rug for a certain time, but when the overall performance of a center becomes tainted (either too good or too bad) or when complaints reach a level, which cannot be disregarded any more, then attention is directed towards certain details. If these improper alterations are confirmed, then do not be surprised if there is a surprise change in management (and it will affect not only the Full-time Sups, but other levels can/could be involved). There is something called a UPS Ethics Commision (at least what I have heard), having quite some power.
We all know that working off the clock, i.e. start work before actual start-up time, is nothing new.
Starting work earlier than planned WITH specific approval of next higher level requires a proper change of time card. If this change is not made, then somebody is/will be on a very slippery and treacherous path.
All these "donations in time" and other "creative methods of timekeeping" of course help management in generating better performance numbers than actual truth.
FTS and PTS are not supposed to work but to supervise. Right? Guess what? Without their input (which does not go into the performance numbers), production performance will not look good.
Sometimes, management statements and expressions appear to come from the fairy tales of Hans Christian Andersen. And even when and if you have factual observations and questions, next higher level(s) simply do not want to hear it. And then they will be surprised, if one day day they hear nothing any more because they simply have projected an image of "We do not want to hear about these things" or "We cannot change the system."
Simple questions like: "In the planning phase before start-up in the morning, we should really know how many units of work we are going to have.Right? And then we get slammed with sometimes +10 or + 15 % more than what went into the daily planning numbers. Why do we not know what we are going to get, at least by e.g. 0300 h in the morning?"
My days of Brothers Grimm and Hans Christian Anderson fairy tales have gone by for more than two generations.

Last edited:

laffter

My paycheck today was exactly 1.00 hours short.

At first I thought maybe my preload manager did not keep his word about giving me that extra 20min per day for the previous week. But that adds up to 1.67 hours. It makes no sense to me that he would short me time thinking I wouldn't realize it, since he knows damn well that I keep track of my hours now.

The other possibility is that my records were off. But by a whole hour? Unlikely.

Lastly... I've been double shifting recently, working the twilight shift. I don't have any way of officially clocking in. I show up, a sup takes my start time. When I leave, a different sup takes my end time, and normally I also tell him what my start time was (so they don't work me over 5 hours). I came in today and asked for a printout of my timecard for last week. Surprising to me, the pt sup actually brought it to me. I had a copy of my own personal record with me. Mon/Fri were dead on. Tue/Wed/Thur were all off a bit. The sup took out his phone and did the math for me. I gave him the differences for those days, and they added up to exactly 1.00 hours. He told me the time will be added to Monday's shift. So I can work 4 hours, but be given 5.

Mistakes happen. But over a period of three days, exactly one hour was shorted? That isn't a mistake. I could believe a strange number like 37 minutes, but not one hour.

They were definitely happy to resolve the problem for me with no hesitation. Chances are, they're doing this to other people who come in from preload.

laffter

Regarding my previous post:

Just checked my (tomorrow's) paycheck on upsers. Magically, that week is spot on. They're actually 0.03 hours over on my overtime. I won't complain about that!

opie

Missing time on your paycheck is a common problem at UPS. I am short sometimes, but since I keep track it always gets corrected. Most people don't keep track or check their hours, so they are losing money without realizing it. This year alone I've been shorted a few hours total. A half hour here and 10 minutes there, it adds up. Then at the end of year it could wind up being a good chunk of change.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
My center recently disabled the option to alter the scheduled start time (we also use the computerized time clocks). Nonetheless, I wouldn't recommend doing so anway -- if you were to do so, and the P/T supervior denied giving you permission to start early, you could be fired for stealing time. Keep track of your time and discuss your time card with management the Monday following the work week (any changes will be reflected in your check that week). Yes, it will require you to spend a few moments of you personal time but it will ultimiately save you the aggrivation you'll endure from winding up on UPSanta Caluse's Naughty List.