Not Passing probation

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Scuderia, May 15, 2015.

1. Scuderia

Scuderia Member

I'm on my 4th week, and this job is stressing me out. Every morning is like this rock in my gut. It's 3 am right now and I woke up from a dream I had over the day's work.

I've been on 3 routes, and this last route is kicking my ass. I finished at 20:30 yesterday. There's a lot of nf's on my PC, which I find later on in the wrong places (5 shelf package in RDL). And I think I found out I may be dyslexic, cause for the life of me I can't remember address, package count, and hin, let alone 5 of them. My sup says I should be running my routes to scratch, but I just can't. I'm trying like hell though.

I don't know how you guys put up with this. Is the money really worth it? You're basically giving up 80% of your life to UPS. Customers treat you like :censored2:. And you're body takes a pounding. I'm already having hip problems on week 4, which I think is from using their unorthodox "methods".

Sorry for venting, kudos to you guys who have done it for years. I'm probably getting my walking papers today, or i may just resign. Back to the hub, I can squeeze out 35 hours with my seniority till I get a 40 hour job.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Dyslexia has nothing to do with your memory skills.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Scuderia

Scuderia Member

It might when the reason I can't remember them is because numbers get mixed up in my head. 2535 might turn into 2553 in my head.

4. UpstateNYUPSer

Perhaps you should get tested.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

It gets easier greenhorn. Just keep your head down and keep on... Well you know.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. DOK

DOK Active Member

When I first started I had the dreams too. Perhaps you should get in there early and go through your truck and rearrange it to make your day go smoother. A lot of guys do that when just starting out.

Also, the methods work, they're far from unorthodox. 25 years from now your body will thank you for using them, yes they are monotonous but they work.

Over the course of a career, in the end I'd say yes it is worth it, but this job sure isn't for everyone.

7. Scottyhawk

Scottyhawk What is it? A brown box. Duh

Umm, you are only supposed to be on 1 route if you are qualifying. I would get with a steward.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • List
  8. box_beeyotch

box_beeyotch Well-Known Member

This. Supposed to be the same route for 30 days in a row which is labeled a "training" route. As for the rest, we all got to start somewhere. Do you really want to quit just because it's more difficult than you expected? Quitters never win.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Be very careful here. The more you get the union involved while your making book the less likely they are to hire you FT.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

I'm sure many here will back me up on this: After 8 to 10 years of doing this, it gets better!

11. Scottyhawk

Scottyhawk What is it? A brown box. Duh

I agree about staying under the radar but if the op gets dq'd, has a good grievance. I at least think the op should speak to the steward for advice before hand to at least have a fighting chance to keep their job

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Scuderia

Scuderia Member

13. Scuderia

Scuderia Member

Well If they fire me so be it, if they don't I will put my head down and carry on.

14. ManInBrown

ManInBrown Well-Known Member

YES

15. livin the dream

livin the dream Active Member

I've had the problems with addresses too. after trying to remember so many numbers it starts to get harder to concentrate. I'll say it gets better once you get to know an area.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. UpstateNYUPSer

His posts are far too coherent for someone w/dyslexia.

17. Pooter

Pooter Active Member

Sounds like you have given up OP.

I think the perks outweigh the stress. And it gets sooo much easier once you realize how all the gears work.

One of the things that help me stay focus and happy is the load quality. 90% is loaded like garbage so I find a good stopping point (after business are done, etc) and sort that truck. Makes the rest of the day go smooth. Simple tip.

I know it's stressful trying to qualify but just keep trying! If u need a break to get your composure then take it! A small break does wonders.

Go in early and check ur dispatch. Look over the map and visualize how the day will be ran.

18. I just remember the next stop when I'm driving. The walk to the truck I'll look at all 8 and make sure the order is right. That 5 stop thing is just dumb.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. jibbs

jibbs Long Live the Chief

Trivia:

"Dyslexic with numbers" is known as "dyscalculia," and a common symptom is being unable to subitize (keep track of) the average 3-4 objects/numbers most people can hold in their mind.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. jaker

jaker trolling

Lies just lies