Not Passing probation

ups1990

Sigh.....
All of the various feelings your experiencing, I can honestly tell you we've all had them and they continue to pop up from time to time, even from very seasoned drivers. Will the work get easier? Probably not, but the mental part of this job is the number one obstacle to overcome and master. You'll get better at controlling your emotions with time. It took me 2-3 years to feel comfortable with this job and not lose sleep. I didn't eat much early on and didn't sleep well at night. The workday morning came along win butterflies and stress due to not knowing what the day had in store for me.

You have the greatest resources in the world at your disposal, your fellow drivers! Ask the other utility and cover drivers about your particular route and area. They know where to park, who signs .......

The center manager knows he can't move you around during your probation period.

There's no doubt in my mind that UPS wants a younger workforce that is accustomed to delivering to different areas on a daily basis and they'll be happy when this last huge wave of drivers that were accustomed to routes that remained the same for years to retire or quit.

box_beeyotch

Sigh.....
All of the various feelings your experiencing, I can honestly tell you we've all had them and they continue to pop up from time to time, even from very seasoned drivers. Will the work get easier? Probably not, but the mental part of this job is the number one obstacle to overcome and master. You'll get better at controlling your emotions with time. It took me 2-3 years to feel comfortable with this job and not lose sleep. I didn't eat much early on and didn't sleep well at night. The workday morning came along win butterflies and stress due to not knowing what the day had in store for me.

You have the greatest resources in the world at your disposal, your fellow drivers! Ask the other utility and cover drivers about your particular route and area. They know where to park, who signs .......

The center manager knows he can't move you around during your probation period.

There's no doubt in my mind that UPS wants a younger workforce that is accustomed to delivering to different areas on a daily basis and they'll be happy when this last huge wave of drivers that were accustomed to routes that remained the same for years to retire or quit.

As a new driver of only one year, I see the last paragraph of your post happening more and more each day.

nystripe96

Sort your truck in the am, then again on your lunch. If you don't start scratching once the truck is sorted to your liking then this job just isn't for you.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Yeah like everyone said, you're supposed to be on just one route while you're trying to qualify. The job is hard enough for a new person on just one training route for the first 2 weeks, let alone different routes. That sucks because I don't think you'd be feeling that way had they followed the procedure and kept you on one route. I still remember my training route and I remember having your same exact problems, but only for the first 2 weeks. By week 4 I felt like a damn stud on that training route. Once I qualified I felt I had the job mastered....LOL....and then reality set in as they threw me on a split route cold. Then I realized I'm still a newbooty that sucks. But as with everything, experience is the key. The 1st year is the hardest but after that it's pretty smooth sailing IMO. I say keep at it because IMO it IS worth it. ESPECIALLY when you hit top scale.

S

selfcancelsignal

Trivia:

"Dyslexic with numbers" is known as "dyscalculia," and a common symptom is being unable to subitize (keep track of) the average 3-4 objects/numbers most people can hold in their mind.

IW8simF.gif
I think I have this at times. Hate how at times, parcels are PAL'd up 6480 & 6840.

Scuderia

Well I'm still here. I don't know what route I'm doing tomorrow, they usually give me a map, manifest, and pick up log on Friday, but they didn't this time.

I looked at Monday's dispatch, but there were no routes under my name. If they show me the door, so be it. I'll go ride my bike that same day. Haven't been able to that in so long.

Thanks for the replies. Maybe this job isn't for me. The ball is in their court. I ran maybe 30 mins over on Friday, but that may not be good enough for them. They want cover drivers that can scratch an unknown/blind route. At least that's what the on-road says.

upschuck

Thanks for the replies. Maybe this job isn't for me. The ball is in their court. I ran maybe 30 mins over on Friday, but that may not be good enough for them. They want cover drivers that can scratch an unknown/blind route. At least that's what the on-road says.
Did he keep a straight face when he told you that?

UPSGUY72

One stop at a time smooth and steady wins the race. Pull over and sort your next 10 - 20 stops and more as you get more shelf space. You be surprised how much time you save by not hunting and pecking for the next package at each stop.

Everyone was there at one time some catch on quickly other never catch on. You need to adapt and overcome and stop making excuses just so you can appease yourself.

livin the dream

there were days I was shocked to find out I scratched. I think I made up all my time flying through the resis because the business was so tedious and tended to take a while. the number one thing for me was keeping my emotions under control. there's nothing more frustrating than trying to go fast and the reality of the route just doesn't allow it.

MassWineGuy

Try sticking it out to make probation. A lot of veteran drivers mention package fever, which sounds very close to what you describe.

JL 0513

The job becomes second nature after a short time, especially if you have your own route. You'll barely have to think anymore and then it feels like you are actually overpaid.

Hard to believe during your first 30, but it happens.

Dr.Brownz

I've had the problems with addresses too. after trying to remember so many numbers it starts to get harder to concentrate. I'll say it gets better once you get to know an area.

Once you know the area, it's not just a number on a box, you know the place where that number is and having an idea of the physical location of the house helps to remember it.

J

jibbs

What would a dyslexic post look like?

"prboably somfnij like thsi" initially and if it's not that bad of a case, but dyslexic people are able to overcome their learning disability with practice, concentration and familiarity.

My little sister's dyslexic. When she was young her writing was a nightmare. Now she loathes reading but can manage to put together a pretty well-written document, all things considered.

Stopher

I'm on my 4th week, and this job is stressing me out. Every morning is like this rock in my gut. It's 3 am right now and I woke up from a dream I had over the day's work.

I've been on 3 routes, and this last route is kicking my ass. I finished at 20:30 yesterday. There's a lot of nf's on my PC, which I find later on in the wrong places (5 shelf package in RDL). And I think I found out I may be dyslexic, cause for the life of me I can't remember address, package count, and hin, let alone 5 of them. My sup says I should be running my routes to scratch, but I just can't. I'm trying like hell though.

I don't know how you guys put up with this. Is the money really worth it? You're basically giving up 80% of your life to UPS. Customers treat you like :censored2:. And you're body takes a pounding. I'm already having hip problems on week 4, which I think is from using their unorthodox "methods".

Sorry for venting, kudos to you guys who have done it for years. I'm probably getting my walking papers today, or i may just resign. Back to the hub, I can squeeze out 35 hours with my seniority till I get a 40 hour job.
Don't listen to upstateNYUPSer. He is a d*ick. Sorry to say but this job is not for everyone. We all fight bad loads. What do you expect when you pay someone minimum wage to work through the night at a job that isn't all that easy? Just come in with a positive attitude and work your hardest. It will eventually come to you. Just takes longer for some drivers and no, your happiness isn't worth the money. You haven't even seen a peak season yet. Keep your head up.