Not Runner Gunner But Don't Eat

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
It does benefit me. I get done at a somewhat reasonable time and half the center or more is still back before me.

There are guys that skip lunch and are done at 430. I get back by between 6 and 7. Sometimes later on a really bad day and that never involves stopping for lunch.

A little over a week ago I had a blown out truck with 400 packages a 160 stops and an 11 hour dispatch. Truck was so full I barely could squeeze in my backpack and cooler with drinks. I got back at 8. Had I taken lunch I would've not finished till 9. Screw that. I just did it straight. That particular route is also heavy on pickups and they last about 2 hours.
What's your center's pull time? If they give it to you that hard, take your full hour and friend* up their pull time a few times. See if they keep giving it to you. 8, 9, at that point it's not like you're doing much with your evening anyway.

mrbrownstone

What's your center's pull time? If they give it to you that hard, take your full hour and friend* up their pull time a few times. See if they keep giving it to you. 8, 9, at that point it's not like you're doing much with your evening anyway.

830 and as nice as it sounds it won't happen. They will have an air driver take your airs.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
830 and as nice as it sounds it won't happen. They will have an air driver take your airs.
They'll take your airs but their feeder won't be able to leave until you're back with all your ground pick ups. It's their asses that will get reamed on a conference call when the feeder has to keep waiting a half hour thanks to their dispatch. And you get to eat instead of running yourself dry.

mrbrownstone

They'll take your airs but their feeder won't be able to leave until you're back with all your ground pick ups. It's their asses that will get reamed on a conference call when the feeder has to keep waiting a half hour thanks to their dispatch. And you get to eat instead of running yourself dry.

I'm not quite following you. I work in a large hub with 4 different driving centers. My center alone has 60 plus senority drivers. We have a separate airwall where we unload our airs and they go straight to the airport.

I think as long as they are in they don't care.

So I'm confused about the pull time thing. The rule in my center is if you can't make it back by 8:30 you have to notify the center so they can have someone take your airs.

I don't think that affects any pull times.

I see feeders coming and going so much that I have no idea about their times only the airwall time but maybe things are different because I work in a hub as opposed to a small building.

bham brown

You are obviously not listening to anyone's advice. You just try to make excuses for what you're doing. If my knees hurt as bad as you make yours out to be I would've already filed an injury report and been to the doc. Keep putting your lunch in and not taking it and worrying about their numbers and you'll find yourself without a job.

mrbrownstone

You are obviously not listening to anyone's advice. You just try to make excuses for what you're doing. If my knees hurt as bad as you make yours out to be I would've already filed an injury report and been to the doc. Keep putting your lunch in and not taking it and worrying about their numbers and you'll find yourself without a job.

I have been to 1 of the best centers in the country for knee issues, The Rothman Institute and the doctor I saw works with some pro level sports teams. I won't say more than that because I don't want to give away my location.

I'm not quite sure about filing an injury report because there wasn't one specific thing I did that made my knees start suddenly hurting. It wasn't like I fell in a driveway or off a the truck and bam my knees started hurting.

I guess part of what I'm saying that doesn't seem to make sense to anyone is that I choose to move a little more slowly than how we are trained aka "walking at a brisk pace" all the time and as such choose to use this as my lunch because that's the best I can do. I rather walk a little slower or exit the truck more carefully than we are supposed too.

I used to exit the package car carrying heavy packages to try to save a second. Now anything over 10lbs I put on the floor and slide off into my arms to take pressure off my knees. Therefore, I can't retrieve a package and be off the car in 18 seconds or less as we are trained.

I UNDERSTAND the contract DOESN'T acknowledge numbers but for me "a fair days work for a fair days pay" might be slower than the better drivers.

I'm all about giving my best but unfortunately it is at a slightly slower speed than other people.

I don't need help all the time and I would like to keep it that way. I'M ASHAMED of myself when I need help and apologize to whoever is helping me for having to help me because I feel bad.

I'm sure I will be a hit if I start taking lunch only to need help all the time.

Last edited:

underworked1

I take a full lunch and run over quite often. Their numbers are wacked, so who cares?
Out of curiosity why do you take a full lunch every day? Surely it doesn't take you an hour to eat right? You do know you don't get paid at all during that time right? I eat then get back to work where I get paid.

Faceplanted

This gotta be fake and a trill

Buddy.... You are leaving 200 dollars on the table every week. How can you not understand that. 10k a year man!!!!!

Work at the best pace u can while being safe, if a supervisor wants to come ride with you let them. Working at a safe pace and not running around all day is not stealing time, it's being smart and taking care of your self and your customers.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm not quite following you. I work in a large hub with 4 different driving centers. My center alone has 60 plus senority drivers. We have a separate airwall where we unload our airs and they go straight to the airport.

I think as long as they are in they don't care.

So I'm confused about the pull time thing. The rule in my center is if you can't make it back by 8:30 you have to notify the center so they can have someone take your airs.

I don't think that affects any pull times.

I see feeders coming and going so much that I have no idea about their times only the airwall time but maybe things are different because I work in a hub as opposed to a small building.
Thanks for starting this discussion.
Very interesting responses and points of view.
Blind Faith - Do What You Like
Open your eyes.
Realize you're not dead.
Take a look at an open book.
Do what you like, that's what I said.
Do what you like.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
As a cover driver how do you not understand their numbers are bs. I just learned a new route this past week and couldn't believe the time allowances on it. A turtle carrying packages on its back could scratch it. Other routes he-man on speed couldn't scratch it. The numbers mean nothing.
Did you run my route last Wednesday?

brownstreak86

I've only been a driver for 5 months. After making seniority I started taking lunch. I need that time to relax. Its actually super unhealthy to not take a break. Its good to get away from this job. Who cares about numbers? I'm a cover driver, so some weeks I may work 3-5 different routes. They don't expect me to be as fast as the seniority drivers who know their customers and their routes. Take it easy on yourself and do yourself a favor. Take lunch, take break, get away from this job whenever you can.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
When I look at my centers numbers everyday almost every driver is under whether they are 20+ year veterans or newer guys.

Now I don't have my own route, I'm a full time senority cover driver as we call it. Maybe having your own route makes it easier.

I just figure most of the driver's are actually efficient enough to legitimately take an hour lunch and be under.

Even on my best days when a route isn't blown out, I don't have tons of heavy packages or irregs and I say to myself that I'm really moving I look at thr numbers the next day and am amazed.
Quit looking at the numbers.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Let's just say theorically you cared about running scratch and wanted to legitimately take an hour lunch and 10 min break. I don't think there's anyway to actually do that without being He-Man.

I'm not He-Man and I'm ok with that.
I rather work a tad slower at my comfortable pace so that I can maintain a stready pace all day and not be dead tired for the next day.

So, I just consider my pace which may not be what UPS wants as my lunch. Also I count the dumb mistakes I make like taking too long to find a package toward my lunch.
I'm beginning to understand why this job is hard for you.

It does take some form of intelligence to do it.