Not Runner Gunner But Don't Eat

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
QWgEoY.gif

BrownTexas

I've only been a driver for 5 months. After making seniority I started taking lunch. I need that time to relax. Its actually super unhealthy to not take a break. Its good to get away from this job. Who cares about numbers? I'm a cover driver, so some weeks I may work 3-5 different routes. They don't expect me to be as fast as the seniority drivers who know their customers and their routes. Take it easy on yourself and do yourself a favor. Take lunch, take break, get away from this job whenever you can.
Good to see that some people actually get it. Bravo sir. You seem to have realized what others with much more experience cannot.

bham brown

I have been to 1 of the best centers in the country for knee issues, The Rothman Institute and the doctor I saw works with some pro level sports teams. I won't say more than that because I don't want to give away my location.

I'm not quite sure about filing an injury report because there wasn't one specific thing I did that made my knees start suddenly hurting. It wasn't like I fell in a driveway or off a the truck and bam my knees started hurting.

I guess part of what I'm saying that doesn't seem to make sense to anyone is that I choose to move a little more slowly than how we are trained aka "walking at a brisk pace" all the time and as such choose to use this as my lunch because that's the best I can do. I rather walk a little slower or exit the truck more carefully than we are supposed too.

I used to exit the package car carrying heavy packages to try to save a second. Now anything over 10lbs I put on the floor and slide off into my arms to take pressure off my knees. Therefore, I can't retrieve a package and be off the car in 18 seconds or less as we are trained.

I UNDERSTAND the contract DOESN'T acknowledge numbers but for me "a fair days work for a fair days pay" might be slower than the better drivers.

I'm all about giving my best but unfortunately it is at a slightly slower speed than other people.

I don't need help all the time and I would like to keep it that way. I'M ASHAMED of myself when I need help and apologize to whoever is helping me for having to help me because I feel bad.

I'm sure I will be a hit if I start taking lunch only to need help all the time.

You do realize that age AND physical condition has to be considered in how fast you can do the job. Quit being a wuss and man up and do the job the right way. I've been told many times my pace is slow. But I've yet to be written up for it. I'm closing in on the end of my marathon and speed is not on my list of concerns nor has it been since I got my days in.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Two things happen that adversely affect my day when I take a break for lunch.
1- I get out of my rhythm
2- my back and legs get stiff and I have to limber up all over again.
I don't take a lunch. I rarely have under a 12 hr dispatch and I want to get off the clock ASAP. I never donate my lunch to UPS as I make it back in bonus.
Until I am forced to take a lunch, I won't unless it is on my own terms.

billerz

I'm so confused by the OP. He said he has made seniority, so what is the need to skip lunch? I understand completely the bonus center thing, or if you have kids and don't care about the money. But the OP seems young and may/may not have kids.

Why not just work at your slower pace and just get off an hour later? And you would be able to eat lunch and relax for a bit. It's only an hour more dude like wtf?

billerz

Two things happen that adversely affect my day when I take a break for lunch.
1- I get out of my rhythm
2- my back and legs get stiff and I have to limber up all over again.
I don't take a lunch. I rarely have under a 12 hr dispatch and I want to get off the clock ASAP. I never donate my lunch to UPS as I make it back in bonus.
Until I am forced to take a lunch, I won't unless it is on my own terms.
The OP isn't in a bonus center, he is required to put in an hour lunch unpaid every day. So he codes out a full hour lunch, works through it for free, so he looks better on over/under. Even though doing this in no way benefits him.

He says he can't work at he-man speed, but dude you've made seniority, it doesn't matter lol. Work at your speed.

mrbrownstone

Ok I am in a bonus center and have a 3 year old and 9 year old.

So yes I just want to get home at reasonable time.

But I'm tired of everyone accusing lunch skippers of "running and gunning" I don't run.

Last edited:

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day

But I'm tired of everyone accusing lunch skippers of "running and gunning" I don't run.
You can't fool us. You would run if you could. You physically can't.
You're just UPS slowest runner gunner

billerz

So you don't have enter a lunch but you do anyways, and do you get paid for the lunch you code out?

Btw getting home to your kids is a very valid reason to skip lunch, even though I personally wouldn't do it.

mrbrownstone

You can't fool us. You would run if you could. You physically can't.
You're just UPS slowest runner gunner

Lol yes I am. The fast runners are done by 430 with an 1hr or more bonus. I get a few min bonus but finish at what I feel is a reasonable time.

billerz

We are pushed to take a full lunch unpaid.
So why not just take what lunch you can, sit down eat something, then go back to work. Or just not take any lunch and get paid all day. I could see why you would skip it completely to get home early, but why code out a lunch, work for free, when you don't have to? Literally makes no sense to me.

Brown_Star

Methods Man
I'm not a runner but always put in for lunch with the rationale that I prefer to sometimes walk a little slower or work at a slightly relaxed pace to make it through the day.

I know I can't move at the desired UPS speed and even after driving a few years am not always the most efficient.

Puttting in for my lunch and break usually puts me about scratch or say 15-20 clicks under. Which means I'm simply not fast enough to take and hour lunch and not run over.

Yes, I have senority and am aware that I'm not supposed to care about numbers but it keeps me from being harassed.

In my mind I'm not falsifying documents or running and gunning because I don't literally run and am never done until 6 or after anyway. Also I'm simply too slow to take a legitimate lunch and run scratch.

Anyone else this way?

Edit: I drink GNC Mass Gainer Complex shakes for calories and energy while I'm working but don't stop to eat.

Did you take lunch on ojs?

mrbrownstone

So why not just take what lunch you can, sit down eat something, then go back to work. Or just not take any lunch and get paid all day. I could see why you would skip it completely to get home early, but why code out a lunch, work for free, when you don't have to? Literally makes no sense to me.

Because I don't have the balls to be called out every morning and I really don't want a production ride.

I tried not putting for lunch for a while and whenever I was 50 clicks over I was being questioned about why I don't put in for lunch.