not taking lunch and getting paid

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
so can someone answer my question?
No, because there are way too many variables, like the individual work histories of those twenty drivers, the temperament of your center manager, whether or not your DM get's involved, etc.

If you really want an answer, get 20 guys to follow your plan, and the next day you will know.

Just for the record, I fail to see how the day being "such a clusterf..." qualifies as a reason not to put a lunch in your board.

UPS Lifer

No, because there are way too many variables, like the individual work histories of those twenty drivers, the temperament of your center manager, whether or not your DM get's involved, etc.

If you really want an answer, get 20 guys to follow your plan, and the next day you will know.

Just for the record, I fail to see how the day being "such a clusterf..." qualifies as a reason not to put a lunch in your board.

Progressive disciplinary steps need to be followed unless you are involved in a cardinal sin. If you have a warning letter in place you can be separated. HOWEVER, the company would have to prove to a panel that it was a just and fair termination. Going from a warning letter to termination would be very very difficult. Some how there would have to be gross negligence involved.

If you failed to put in a lunch and took a lunch, management could argue that was a cardinal sin.... stealing time for monetary gain. BUT, again they would have to prove that to a panel.

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
it comes down to
1. i've already done 80 stops
2. i have to drive 25 miles back to center to drop my air before its too late
3. its getting dark
4. they are asking me to go help in an area that has a no street light ordianance
5. the area is also high in the mountains with very narrow and curvey streets
6. many of these streets are at a steep grade and if youre lucky enough to get your p1000 up it, you probably have no safe turnaround spot
7. the driver that i helped went out overdispatched because he is a full-time driver and mngmnt expected him to perform

....the later it gets- the darker it gets. if there is ONE thing that I CAN control out of my day- it will be not delivering on these streets in the dark. after a certain point it becomes a matter of my safety and I don't know about the rest of you but I refuse to put my safety at risk for my mngmnt team and their packages.

rod

Retired 22 years
....the later it gets- the darker it gets. if there is ONE thing that I CAN control out of my day- it will be not delivering on these streets in the dark. after a certain point it becomes a matter of my safety and I don't know about the rest of you but I refuse to put my safety at risk for my mngmnt team and their packages.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this failing to work as directed? Unless UPS has changed the way it operates doing this would be a BIG no no where I worked. Around here it gets dark at 4:30 so everyone spends about a 3rd of their day running around in the dark. Dispatching yourself is a neat idea but UPS wouldn't last long if this was company policy:peaceful:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
it comes down to
1. i've already done 80 stops
2. i have to drive 25 miles back to center to drop my air before its too late
3. its getting dark
4. they are asking me to go help in an area that has a no street light ordianance
5. the area is also high in the mountains with very narrow and curvey streets
6. many of these streets are at a steep grade and if youre lucky enough to get your p1000 up it, you probably have no safe turnaround spot
7. the driver that i helped went out overdispatched because he is a full-time driver and mngmnt expected him to perform

Sounds like a tough day, but I still don't see how it qualifies as a reason not to take a lunch, much less enter your lunch in your board, especially if you have been instructed to do so.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this failing to work as directed? Unless UPS has changed the way it operates doing this would be a BIG no no where I worked. Around here it gets dark at 4:30 so everyone spends about a 3rd of their day running around in the dark. Dispatching yourself is a neat idea but UPS wouldn't last long if this was company policy:peaceful:
Rod, normally I would agree with you and actually in principle I do agree with you. However this situation kind of sounds like a Tooner situation (del. the hood).
I am assuming (maybe wrongly so) that 46+2 has discussed this with his mgt and I can't blame him for wanting to get a certain area del. before dark. I frequently have areas that I want to del before dark because of lighting or road issues. I personally wouldn't take a late lunch because of it though.

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
sorry if i was a bit unclear on my last post. i'm not at all saying that i didn't deliver the packages. they all got an honest attempt. most were delivered. one was a not in because the resident had a gate at their driveway and they weren't home and i didn't have a gate code so NI1.
all i meant by saying that the later it gets the darker it gets was that if i take my hour lunch at 515 like i was going to, by 615 it would've been even worse. hopefully i still have a job come monday.

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
upstate, you assume that because i said part-timers were working the day after thanksgiving that they worked less than 8 hours which was not the case in my building. they redid how they dispatched all the routes. my center goes out with 70 routes everyday and on black friday we were condensed down to 21 routes. everyone was overdispatched with their airs and the avg stop count was 70 per car.

Forty6and2

I'm Broken
Relax--you will be fine and your job will be waiting for you Monday morning.

yeah i know- i'm a little worried about whats going to happen. i normally don't cause trouble but this time i was pretty upset and just wanted to go home. i am mostly worried that the supervisor who told me he would write me up on monday for not taking a lunch will upgrade the punishment to a firing just to prove a point.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

yeah i know- i'm a little worried about whats going to happen. i normally don't cause trouble but this time i was pretty upset and just wanted to go home. i am mostly worried that the supervisor who told me he would write me up on monday for not taking a lunch will upgrade the punishment to a firing just to prove a point.

You never mentioned that part.

dirty moose

Usually you eat with other drivers and shoot the breeze.During the summer go to the beach.Read a newspaper.Go shopping.Etc. Its your hour,do as you wish.Also our hour can be taken any time between 1pm and 3pm.You could also break it up.20 min for breakfast and then 40 min for lunch.An hour seems like a long time but you would be surprised how fast it goes by sometimes.

maybe some new park pizza?

New Englander

We were told to take a full hour lunch if we requested 8, as I did. Though for two weeks now I have yet to take an hour lunch. 15min at best do to dispatches. So I did my two 10 minute paid breaks and one 10 minute lunch. Stopped for thirty Friday.

Screw them if we don't have to on the other days but we did Friday. It's every day and every driver or buck off :)

The best PCM I've ever heard.

We were to have outbound back in the building by 1600.
Letter box pick ups did not get an early pick up for the excuse they didn't want to anger potential DHL customers.

So I casually asked them how when my last letter box is a 1700 pick up and I'm 30 minutes away - how I could get it back in by 1600?

It amazes me sometime when management blindly reads the impossible from up above :)