Notice on package

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Those latest new fangled doortags get ruined just by carrying them in the pockets of courier pants.

upsmanclt

I have a follow up question, so the notices that you leave on the package, is there a check box that reads "This is your package?"

SmithBarney

Those latest new fangled doortags get ruined just by carrying them in the pockets of courier pants.
And unless the house has a clean door(most don't) they don't stick, and blow away...have to wipe windows clean so they stick(or shove it in the door crack)
(I still have a dwindling stash of the hang style ones in my truck)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Really? That's not bad at all. Good luck.

Let me give you an example of how this service will be beneficial. I had a case of wine going to a residential on Friday. Attempted the delivery--NI1. As I was waiting for one of my drop boxes I gave the consignee a call to see if she would be home later so that I could re-attempt. She was in Tennessee but told me that she would call a friend who would meet me at the apt to receive the wine. I reattempted, friend was there, friend was over 21, consignee received pkg and I got rid of my only send again. With this service, after the first attempt, the consignee would have the option to either put the package on will call or request a redelivery with a designated delivery window.

As my center manager put it on Friday, there will be a learning curve with this service and there will be bugs that need to be worked out.

BoxDriver

Time windows in a small area can work but totally suck in a rural route. I had an evening signature stop last week in the middle of my route so there was no good way to reroute myself to end my day near there. Plus I was light for the first time in weeks that day. Ended up finishing my route then having to drive back a good 15 miles and sit waiting for about 1.5 hours before I could deliver in the time window. Of course they weren't home then either. grrrrr.......

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Customers are getting way too much control over these signature required deliveries.

And when things go wrong (which they frequently do) it's always the courier's fault for lost productivity in the management's eyes. :angry:

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
So Upstate.
In your example of the box of wine, wouldn't you guys make 3 attmpts. on three business days?
We would.

bbsam

Staff member
Before MyChoice--yes. With MyChoice the customer will have the option of deciding when and where they want their pkgs delivered.
I could see that causing problems with shippers. I believe that by law, we can't redirect alcohol shipments without consent of the shipper.

HomeDelivery

Before MyChoice--yes. With MyChoice the customer will have the option of deciding when and where they want their pkgs delivered.

I already have a couple of "re-direct to a local FedEx Office" or hold until Saturday for next attempt after the first "We're sorry we missed you." doortag was stuck on the customer's door on the 1st attempt.
--------------------------------------------
but, back to the OP post:

...leave noticies on the package telling the customer where they left the package. Why?

on the Home Delivery side, we are instructed by management, not the contractors, to scan a doortag for EVERY stop (except for signature-required ones, of course).

the "drivers" are suppose to slap the tag on the "door" & not leave it on the package itself. it's a friggin' DOOR TAG, not PACKAGE TAG!

nevertheless, I have seen them as "package tags", left blank in most cases as well, because some think it's dumb to put a tag for everyone who walks by to see where the package has been left & therefore steals it. Already have been done in the past across the country.

I think it's also dumb to have to scan a doortag for EVERY stop; but if this relieves the claim against the contractor, i'll do it.

franknitty

Homedelivery, apparently you haven't experienced customers calling in on you, and complaining that they're upset because they courier applied the doortag on their property, especially the glass on the door, and for some strange reason the customer was unable to completely remove the tag from the door, and now some of the adhesive from the doortag still remains on their door/glass. Its happened to me several times in my in my 20 years. I recall a customer came to the station to pickup his package, and he was reading a manager the riot act because a courier placed a doortag on the garage of his newly built home. I heard the guy, and he was super pissed ! It was hilarious !