Notifying the Union of an employee

UPSGUY72

I have written him up before. He does not care at all. He has been suspended but will come in during his suspension. I am good friends with our shop steward and joke around with the guy constantly and have been asking what I can do about the situation.

Troll. Your story doesn't make any sense. Next time get your story correct first so it's at least some what believable.

hyena

I am a part-time supervisor working on the sort isle after being moved from running an unload belt. However, I have a bit of a problem. There is an extremely lazy employee that missorts on purpose, purposely gets in other peoples way, and will not go where I ask him to go. He has filed a grievance against me accusing me of singling him out for being on his phone... The irony in it... But he is on his phone non-stop through the entire shift. I usually don't mind if its a quick text here and there just as long as they don't have the phone in their hand longer than 15 seconds. I am wondering how I deal with this. I was thinking of writing everything he does wrong such as not obeying directions, or missorting, or playing on his phone in a journal and reporting it to management and our local once I have enough "evidence". Normally, I don't care if someone is lazy, they dig their own grave and I send them home and I get rid of the problem, however this employee will never go home and stays the full shift fiddling around on his phone or spending forty minutes in the bathroom. Any opinions?
image.jpg

cmoll

I am a part-time supervisor working on the sort isle after being moved from running an unload belt. However, I have a bit of a problem. There is an extremely lazy employee that missorts on purpose, purposely gets in other peoples way, and will not go where I ask him to go. He has filed a grievance against me accusing me of singling him out for being on his phone... The irony in it... But he is on his phone non-stop through the entire shift. I usually don't mind if its a quick text here and there just as long as they don't have the phone in their hand longer than 15 seconds. I am wondering how I deal with this. I was thinking of writing everything he does wrong such as not obeying directions, or missorting, or playing on his phone in a journal and reporting it to management and our local once I have enough "evidence". Normally, I don't care if someone is lazy, they dig their own grave and I send them home and I get rid of the problem, however this employee will never go home and stays the full shift fiddling around on his phone or spending forty minutes in the bathroom. Any opinions?

Why don't you quit... Then you won't have to deal with him anymore

Overpaid Union Thug

If what you say is accurate then that guy definitely needs to go. You can easily get rid of him if you are patient and willing. But I can tell you right now that you guys need to ban cell phone use during the sort.

trance

Not sure if you got an answer that wasn't someone being rude, but what has always worked for me is, do a sort test evenly on every sorter, watch a sort line for 15-20 minutes and document the mis sorts, convey to all sorters that phones are a distraction in the workplace and can get them hurt as they aren't aware of their surroundings. Continue the documentation trail and he will either get fixed or fired. Message me on here if you want any other advice.

cmoll

I hear McDonald's is looking for part time ups sups for fry cooks. Aprons are provided and no cell phone use allowed

I am a part-time supervisor working on the sort isle after being moved from running an unload belt. However, I have a bit of a problem. There is an extremely lazy employee that missorts on purpose, purposely gets in other peoples way, and will not go where I ask him to go. He has filed a grievance against me accusing me of singling him out for being on his phone... The irony in it...

But he is on his phone non-stop through the entire shift. I usually don't mind if its a quick text here and there just as long as they don't have the phone in their hand longer than 15 seconds. I am wondering how I deal with this. I was thinking of writing everything he does wrong such as not obeying directions, or missorting, or playing on his phone in a journal and reporting it to management and our local once I have enough "evidence". Normally, I don't care if someone is lazy, they dig their own grave and I send them home and I get rid of the problem, however this employee will never go home and stays the full shift fiddling around on his phone or spending forty minutes in the bathroom. Any opinions?

I would focus on discipline that is based on verifiable facts (like missorts) rather than more subjective issues (like using the phone too long). Can you pull up his daily stats that show the number of bags he labeled & compare these numbers to the numbers of his coworkers?

J

jibbs

You know, you could always try to pull some strings and get him moved off the sort.

See how much time he's got to :censored2: around on his phone while he's unloading trailers non-stop for 5 hours.

I know he's a Teamster and I should have his back, but it's hard for me to sympathize with the guys that do less than the bare minimum day-in and day-out.

jamescasey420

I know. But a steward is like a lawyer. He has to defend everyone equally, right or wrong.
Wrong, they defend who they want. Not a big deal, but I'm glad there defending me. I should have lost my job along time ago. Just do a little more work than the least productive employee. Its a teamsters job to make sure we make more jobs out of one! Yes I read the 24/7 book. I'm avoiding all my risk by not doing too much. Thank god we have a lot of interesting packages and can't get in trouble for miss deliveries, damages, or racking up the miles because of our miss sorts. Was told to deliver them. I said request acknowledged and accepted. I had 180 miles that day. I was in the next town over. Currently on the 9/5 list. I got paid that day.

Last edited:
Wrong, they defend who they want. Not a big deal, but I'm glad there defending me. I should have lost my job along time ago. Just do a little more work than the least productive employee. Its a teamsters job to make sure we make more jobs out of one! Yes I read the 24/7 book. I'm avoiding all my risk by not doing too much.
Some cases you can't defend.

Wilson

Video tape the guy and show it to his local BA. Then when they guy cries foul when written up you'll be on the same page with the BA. I have know a lot of BA and I have never met one that would be used by a lazy employee to keep their job. Fighting for a person job is one thing. Being a patsy is another.