Notifying the Union of an employee

O

OLDMAN3

Those of you that think you are entitled to "straighten out" the new lazy guy just because the boss asked you to...
Do you realize it is management using you to do their dirty work?
Management realizes that the new employee will now harbor resentment against you, and not them.

But this is what this thread is all about anyways.

It is most likely a management ploy to sew dissension among Union employees.

We see it all the time at work...managers bad-mouthing older drivers to the new drivers. Managers telling drivers that they are getting pounded with stops because so-and-so called in or requested 8, meanwhile they send other drivers home.

I will not bad-mouth other drivers at work, call them lazy or speak ill of any of them.
I will not blame other drivers for my dispatch.
I will not assume they are guilty until proven so.
I will never rat out another driver.
I will never "straighten out" another driver, or tell management how to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:

10 point

There is nothing wrong with a little peer pressure to bring a fellow driver back in to line or get them to step it up on road.
There's nothing wrong with filing an Art 37 grievance against the company for allowing another hourly to harass them and if the management cannot overly supervise an employee then the hourly should take note.

"Step it up" on road? Mind your own business or go into management.

When your name appears on the bottom or heading of my paycheck you can talk to me about my work abilities.

Otherwise, expect to be embarrassed in front of your peers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There's nothing wrong with filing an Art 37 grievance against the company for allowing another hourly to harass them and if the management cannot overly supervise an employee then the hourly should take note.

"Step it up" on road? Mind your own business or go into management.

When your name appears on the bottom or heading of my paycheck you can talk to me about my work abilities.

Otherwise, expect to be embarrassed in front of your peers.

If I am asked to go help another driver only to find that they are dogging it on road you had better believe I will say something to him or her.

BTW, I have no peers---only co-workers.

10 point

BTW, I have no peers---only co-workers.
There is nothing wrong with a little peer pressure.
That says a lot.

There's nothing wrong with working as directed and the company will have to eat the other employee's excess hrs until they get tired of it. They have the responsibility and right to manage and I can work the same speed that the slower driver does. If it's OK for that driver it's OK for me too.
When other drivers now can't get done the company has to fix the problem themselves...

without me saying a word.

10 point

What I see is that management fails to do their job in training and monitoring and rely on the other hourlies to fix the mess they've allowed to exist.

I'm not their scapegoat.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I most certainly will make moves and or say something to drivers who I think are dogging it or just being jerks.

However, I will not do it in front of mgmnt or at their direction. More of a pull aside and offer advice in a non confrontational way.

10 point

I most certainly will make moves and or say something to drivers who I think are dogging it or just being jerks.

However, I will not do it in front of mgmnt or at their direction. More of a pull aside and offer advice in a non confrontational way.
Not my job.
If the other driver can run excessive hours then I will too. The management can deal with the aftermath.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Not my job.
If the other driver can run excessive hours then I will too. The management can deal with the aftermath.
"We" are the union, and "we" are the company.

If "we" continue to not give a crap and dog it (not saying run and gun just truly doing ou best) "we" won't have jobs to complain about.

Reminds me of the old joke about the union miners sitting at a bar collecting unemployment because they struck and ran the company out of business. "We sure showed them"

There is a balance. Ups is way outta balance on both sides.

That being said, and despite all I see going wrong within our union I will stand with everyone of you lazy SOBs when the time comes.

O

OLDMAN3

You guys sure fall for management's manipulations easily.
What do you think Team Concept and Driver Mentoring were all about?
Time to wise up.
Do your job, not management's.

10 point

If I'm traning an employee to be safe and efficient then I am in management.

If someone is doing something on the job that is not safe or ethical I will probably humbly explain the repercussions of those actions to that employee.

I will not impose my work ethics on a fellow worker.
If management will not go out and police their own employees in the realm of so called standards I guarantee you I'm not going to be the one to do it because it is not my job and I will not use oppression of any level to tell another employee to speed up.

Screw that.

10 point

"We" are the union, and "we" are the company.

If "we" continue to not give a crap and dog it (not saying run and gun just truly doing ou best) "we" won't have jobs to complain about.

Reminds me of the old joke about the union miners sitting at a bar collecting unemployment because they struck and ran the company out of business. "We sure showed them"

There is a balance. Ups is way outta balance on both sides.

That being said, and despite all I see going wrong within our union I will stand with everyone of you lazy SOBs when the time comes.
I am NOT "the company".
The company is the management and I am NOT management.

I work for the company.

O

OLDMAN3

I am NOT "the company".
The company is the management and I am NOT management.

I work for the company.
I would disagree with you here.

Management tries to sell the idea that they are doing what is best for the company and the Union members are lazy or somehow a less integral part of UPS.

I have found the opposite to be true.

Most (not all) management I have encountered will fudge numbers, disregard methods, throw safety and service out the window and outright lie if it makes themselves and their numbers look better.

Who does more damage to the company:
-a dishonest, self serving manager who ruins the morale, methods, safety and service of a hundred drivers under him; just to make his numbers look good.
or
-a slow driver who does 10 less stops than he should?

Any driver who has worked TAW in the office can attest to the unbelievably inefficient use of time by sups and managers. As hourlies we are rightfully expected to work every minute we are paid. The same is not expected of sups who often spend hours each day at work doing personnel tasks.

We drivers have done more to build this company than little tyrannical managers who only care about their own bonus and promotions.

Last edited by a moderator:

10 point

I would disagree with you here.

Management tries to sell the idea that they are doing what is best for the company and the Union members are lazy or somehow a less integral part of UPS.

I have found the opposite to be true.

Most (not all) management I have encountered will fudge numbers, disregard methods, throw safety and service out the window and outright lie if it makes themselves and their numbers look better.

Who does more damage to the company:
-a dishonest, self serving manager who ruins the morale, methods, safety and service of a hundred drivers under him; just to make his numbers look good.
or
-a slow driver who does 10 less stops than he should?

Any driver who has worked TAW in the office can attest to the unbelievably inefficient use of time by sups and managers. As hourlies we are rightfully expected to work every minute we are paid. The same is not expected of sups who often spend hours each day at work doing personnel tasks.

We drivers have done more to build this company than little tyrannical managers who only care about their own bonus and promotions.
I didn't say that I don't represent the company. I said that I am not the company and/or management.

Aug 1, 1997 showed who the company was. Hearings depict who is company and who is a bargaining unit employee. I don't get paid company stock for being a company employee but company employees do.

Even tho your points about what an hourly sees while working taw or being coded as "CHSP" time is true I found out after the strike WHO I was to the company and it wasn't a "Team" effort anymore.

A supe told me early on that I was basically a Teamster represented worker and that my timecard was a bill that I present to THE COMPANY for my services rendered delivering and picking up packages from THEIR customers.
That's all I am to them...except for being an over paid liability.

To prove that point you can witness double standards when it comes to being held accountable for dishonesty, lying, and other articles 37 and 17 issues. You'll figure out who is the company and who "failed to represent" the company according to blah blah blah in a hearing.
The company dismisses their employees (supes) mistakes and holds bargaining unit workers liable for parallel issues.

If a CBA fails to ratify and a work stoppage occurs you'll easily see who are company employees.

Last edited: