Now ive had enough!

DS

Fenderbender
Seal,I have always said your efforts to get the drivers out of thier cars before thier start times was justified .It's an admirable request to get management to enforce this rule as per the contract.I also believe it's a genuine fix for most of the unending preload problems we've had since I first started 19 years ago.As I said from the start,it should be a no brainer that going in early and "fixing" your truck should not be condoned.Some drivers have been doing it for 20 years,and as you know old habits die hard.I'll back you all the way on this if you need help,but as you know,management benefits from this,and making them adhere to this rule is paramount to trying to take a peanut from an elephant.It could take a long time to enforce,and you are but one grain of sand on a neverending beach.The teamsters here are virtually useless,and share the same silver spoon with management.
Sleeve_meet_heart...since when do you have the right to decide when midweek drinking is acceptable? I believe it was a heartfelt attempt by seal to try to do something positive to improve things,and if it seemed unintelligible to you,it's your loss.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Hey u make more on overtime than u do in bonus.

screw the bonus system. It originally was a system that the founders use to have people that wanted to take on extra work and get a bit extra in money at the end of the day. Now the numbers are so whittled down that unless you are close to running your not going to come close to anything...then ups says on top of things, "your not at scratch, your not working hard enough..." Every year or two we loose time, again, and again for the same job etc, etc, they always find something. now bonus is used as a dicipline tool. Its so damn frustrating to go out there and do the methods and this and that, and KNOW THAT YOU CANT DO THE ROUTE ANY FASTER and be 1.5 over.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Per the contract (Art 17) it IS managements job to see that no employee is permitted to work ahead of their scheduled start time without appropriate compensation.

The way I interpret this is that it is not the Unions job ... it is UPS management job.
If UPS management doesn't care, it's okay.
Did I get this right? :wink2:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
screw the bonus system. It originally was a system that the founders use to have people that wanted to take on extra work and get a bit extra in money at the end of the day. Now the numbers are so whittled down that unless you are close to running your not going to come close to anything...then ups says on top of things, "your not at scratch, your not working hard enough..." Every year or two we loose time, again, and again for the same job etc, etc, they always find something. now bonus is used as a dicipline tool. Its so damn frustrating to go out there and do the methods and this and that, and KNOW THAT YOU CANT DO THE ROUTE ANY FASTER and be 1.5 over.

Regardless of bonus, the route will still be timed and you will still have to meet a certain number. Bonus or not, someone will be on you if you run an hour and a half over. Bonus just rewards you if you are lucky enough to run under. In my experience there are alot more routes capable of being bonused than there are drivers willing to run bonus. Do you think if bonus was eliminated you could run 2 stops an hour and no one would notice?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Seal,I have always said your efforts to get the drivers out of thier cars before thier start times was justified .It's an admirable request to get management to enforce this rule as per the contract.I also believe it's a genuine fix for most of the unending preload problems we've had since I first started 19 years ago.As I said from the start,it should be a no brainer that going in early and "fixing" your truck should not be condoned.Some drivers have been doing it for 20 years,and as you know old habits die hard.I'll back you all the way on this if you need help,but as you know,management benefits from this,and making them adhere to this rule is paramount to trying to take a peanut from an elephant.It could take a long time to enforce,and you are but one grain of sand on a neverending beach.The teamsters here are virtually useless,and share the same silver spoon with management.
Sleeve_meet_heart...since when do you have the right to decide when midweek drinking is acceptable? I believe it was a heartfelt attempt by seal to try to do something positive to improve things,and if it seemed unintelligible to you,it's your loss.

DS

Your sincerity is admirable but if it was your son or daughter abusing drugs during the work week (which undeniably affects your life and your work life) would you tell them the same thing? That you have no problem with their lifestyle and even encourage it? If so, it is your business, but that is a big problem.

How am I the one "deciding" who lives that life and who doesnt as you put it? I simply gave my opinion nothing more nothing less.

It is part of my duty to give the honest to goodness truth without fluffing it up for people. sleeve, meet heart. :whiteflag:

The original post was mostly unintelligable unless you were to sit down (thank you Upstate) and begin sifting through it and translate. You can agree or disagree, but I would say most people would agree that the original post was a drunken embarrasment.

DS

Fenderbender
Ok sleeve_heart,your opinion has been noted.
I cant see how a son or daughter using drugs has anything to do with a 40 year old driver drinking on a Tuesday though.
I should be an archeologist,because although the original post lacked some basic grammatical errors,it was not like decyphering hydroglyphics.
It was from someone with a valid point and far from an embarassment.

M

Mike23

I just wish I had time for midweek drinking :(

Also the whole truck issue will keep on going until our union stewards step in to stop it. They won't though because it would mean ticking off management and losing one of their 'chips in the pot'.

sealbasher

Ok sleeve_heart,your opinion has been noted.
I cant see how a son or daughter using drugs has anything to do with a 40 year old driver drinking on a Tuesday though.
I should be an archeologist,because although the original post lacked some basic grammatical errors,it was not like decyphering hydroglyphics.
It was from someone with a valid point and far from an embarassment.

thanks DS

sealbasher

I just wish I had time for midweek drinking :(

Also the whole truck issue will keep on going until our union stewards step in to stop it. They won't though because it would mean ticking off management and losing one of their 'chips in the pot'.

my midweek drinking saved a layoff of someone that has a family,this will be my last post on here good luck all