Now we can't sheet pickups !!!!

old levi's

blank space
​This is not necessarily true. We have several P/U accts that get pre-hits. UPS store is one of them. I am not going to scan just the EOD when someone else has done a pre-hit. There are several factors in this. The most important being HI VALS. If I scan the EOD that has a hi val, I want verification of who actually picked up that hi val. If I get it, then I will sign off on it. If I don't get it then I'm not signing off on it. I will not take responsibility for something that I did NOT pick up.

The other thing is pcs count. I want an accurate accounting of the pcs picked up. If I am the only one scanning a pick up, then I will use only the EOD. If it was pre-hit, I scan every pc.

I consider myself as HI VAL. Would you pick me up? :flirtysmile3:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dilligaf, I have the same issue at two of my pickups and have asked both to hold any high values for me as I close them both out.
We've done the same thing but not everyone pays attention to that little detail. I just CMA. I won't, willingly, let myself be put in a position where there can be any questions. Especially about a hi val.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We've done the same thing but not everyone pays attention to that little detail. I just CMA. I won't, willingly, let myself be put in a position where there can be any questions. Especially about a hi val.

If the high value is not present when I close the stop out I do not sign the high value declaration.

johnoutdoors

We've had this for a while. They told us it was due to third party billing and pick up compliance not matching between the shipper and third party. Whatever BS they want....

AKX

If there is an EOD, that is the only thing I scan. If no EOD then every package gets scanned no matter how many there is. ARS and packages obtained during delivery or from walk ups go under Special Counts. There is a pickup I get occasionally when the route beside mine is cut that has 2 seperate accounts. 1 prints an EOD and the other doesnt and has the bowtie box logo on the labels. I scan the EOD and scan each bowtie box and add totals together for total pickup pieces. Personally I like to see a pickup scan but long as the package makes it from A to B on time thats all that really matters.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If there is an EOD, that is the only thing I scan. If no EOD then every package gets scanned no matter how many there is.

What purpose does this serve?

You are not the first to mention this and I have not been able to figure out why.

AKX

To show a pickup scan. Thats how I was trained. Amazing how different training is across the country.

AKCoverMan

I think basically it just means that for a short period of time the customer cannot see the package progress.

I have always done as dilli and some others have mentioned.. if I am picking up everything on the EOD I will just scan the EOD. Some accounts have stuff run on the EOD plus some other packages on GSDs or ASDs or internet or whatever.. then I scan the EOD plus the non-EOD packages. If the customer presents an EOD where there are more packages on the EOD than I am picking up I just scans the actual packages I am picking up and note the correct number on EOD.

Out here our UPS stores always get an early PU for NDA. Plus they always have a ton of dropoffs that are not on the
EOD. So I always scan the packages as I load them, it's the only way I get an accurate count.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
The End of Day contains all information of the packages processed by the customer that day. When you scan it then all tracking information for all packages is uploaded into the system showing the packages have been picked up. If there is no EOD then the packages must be sheeted to insure that the packages have been picked up. Otherwise the first scan will be at the local sort.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I scan everything I pick up, no one has ever told me not to. One thing it helps catch is customers using the same label for two different packages.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I scan everything I pick up, no one has ever told me not to. One thing it helps catch is customers using the same label for two different packages.

The average package is scanned 13 times once it reaches the first UPS facility.
All these scans are feed into one of the worlds largest databases where UPS systems crosscheck 1Zs, double check actual weight, check dimensional weight, against the actual weight, check actual delivery location against the PLD submitted by the customer, check the Origin Scan location to ensure the customer has the correct origin registered for their shipping system ... I am just getting started.
Suffice it to say, UPS uses the PLD (Package Level Detail) from the customers and compares that to the scans that occur to ensure UPS gets all funds related to the actual transportation of that package.

The scans by the driver goes into Delivery Information systems and only a small portion of that is injected into the OPLD systems used for Billing purposes.

I know that drivers think they are doing the right thing but all those scans of Daily Pickups, UPS Stores, etc serve no purpose other than to waste time.
The UPS Store scans all drop-offs and that information is injected into UPS systems so that the store gets credit for that drop-off as well as other uses.

I would be interested if any driver, in the last 5 years, has been talked to about missing a pickup scan other than
Drop Boxes
Shipping Documents (ASD, GSD, 2SD, 3SD and Waybills)
Walk ups

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The average package is scanned 13 times once it reaches the first UPS facility.
All these scans are feed into one of the worlds largest databases where UPS systems crosscheck 1Zs, double check actual weight, check dimensional weight, against the actual weight, check actual delivery location against the PLD submitted by the customer, check the Origin Scan location to ensure the customer has the correct origin registered for their shipping system ... I am just getting started.
Suffice it to say, UPS uses the PLD (Package Level Detail) from the customers and compares that to the scans that occur to ensure UPS gets all funds related to the actual transportation of that package.

The scans by the driver goes into Delivery Information systems and only a small portion of that is injected into the OPLD systems used for Billing purposes.

I know that drivers think they are doing the right thing but all those scans of Daily Pickups, UPS Stores, etc serve no purpose other than to waste time.
The UPS Store scans all drop-offs and that information is injected into UPS systems so that the store gets credit for that drop-off as well as other uses.

I would be interested if any driver, in the last 5 years, has been talked to about missing a pickup scan other than
Drop Boxes
Shipping Documents (ASD, GSD, 2SD, 3SD and Waybills)
Walk ups
Does any of that stuff catch customers using the same label for two different packages? Because I find them on the delivery end about as often as I find them on the pickup end. It happens often enough that it's not a surprise.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Does any of that stuff catch customers using the same label for two different packages? Because I find them on the delivery end about as often as I find them on the pickup end. It happens often enough that it's not a surprise.
They should since there are two physical scans on the delivery end.
I will check with the PLD guys and get back to you.