NTSB wants to ban cell phone use of any type by commercial drivers

brown bomber

brown bomber
what about feeder drivers......everyone one of them has a cell phone permanently attached to their face............as do most Police officers I've witnessed..........who's gonna enforce, when the enforcers are non-compliant ???????????

bluehdmc

I've heard that talking on a hand-held cell phone is the equivalent of drunk-driving, maybe if a: They enforce the law. b: Made the penalties the same and as progressive as DWI less people would be talking on that phone.

I see it constantly, usually when I see someone driving erractically, (no signal, speeding up-slowing down) and I get an opportunity to pass, there they are with the cell to their ear, sometimes with the shoulder scrunched to hold it. Or they put the phone on speaker and hold it 6" or so from their mouth.

A

anonymous6

Operator speaking : "stay on topic"

pardon moi, i said please.

btw. i agree with the ban. practically every near miss i have in my feeder is with a 4 wheeler or another truck with the driver on the cell.

believe it or not there was life before cell phones........ a simpler life ( but that's another topic )

menotyou

bella amicizia
pardon moi, i said please.

btw. i agree with the ban. practically every near miss i have in my feeder is with a 4 wheeler or another truck with the driver on the cell.

believe it or not there was life before cell phones........ a simpler life ( but that's another topic )
My profound apologies for my rudimentary translation. :).

Life would be better without cells. No one can smile at you when you pass in the store because their hand is now surgically attached to their ear. Life is so impersonal, now.

over9five

Staff member
I once watched a girl leaving the hub texting on her phone. She wandered off the pedestrian crosswalk and ended up in dolly staging. I couldn't stop laughing when she finally stopped, looked up, and had to look around to figure where the guardshack was!

isguy

From BlueHDMC: "I've heard that talking on a hand-held cell phone is the equivalent of drunk-driving".
This statement is partially true, as it has been shown repeatedly that the act of TALKING on a cell phone, hand held or otherwise, is the equivalent of drunk driving. The act of carrying on a conversation, be it on a hand held phone, hands free device, or to a passenger in your vehicle, or even listening to the radio, are equally distracting. That's what amazes me about all of the laws in the majority of states that prohibit talking on a hand held phone. There is no data to indicate there is actually any benefit to the law, but it makes the politicians feel good because they've done something, and the lobby for the phone accessories industry is laughing all the way to the bank.

On a side note, the quote from Clevon Little may be what he is best known for from an all time classic Mel Brook's movie!

over9five

Staff member
How about talking on the CB radio? It is not hands free, so must be at least as dangerous as a cell phone. Why isn't the NTSB or UPS trying to ban talking on the CB????