Nuclear Option

island1fox

:happy-very:Democrats demonstrate what lying phonies they are.

When Republican's threatened using the option --Senator Obama--Senator Biden --and Senator Reid --along with dozens of other Democrat Senators gave long winded speeches of the evils of Changing the rules.

Now --they go against 200 + years of rules ---go nuclear and state how honest and truthful they are.:sad-little:

What comes around goes around --the Dems will not control the Senate forever !!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
:happy-very:Democrats demonstrate what lying phonies they are.

When Republican's threatened using the option --Senator Obama--Senator Biden --and Senator Reid --along with dozens of other Democrat Senators gave long winded speeches of the evils of Changing the rules.

Now --they go against 200 + years of rules ---go nuclear and state how honest and truthful they are.:sad-little:

What comes around goes around --the Dems will not control the Senate forever !!

I think it is a plausible theory that the Pubs maneuvered the Dems into this so that when the Pubs have both Houses and the Pres, they will take the next logical step and change the Senate rules so that a simple majority will apply to Legislation and will repeal Obamacare as well as other laws they don't like.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think it is a plausible theory that the Pubs maneuvered the Dems into this so that when the Pubs have both Houses and the Pres, they will take the next logical step and change the Senate rules so that a simple majority will apply to Legislation and will repeal Obamacare as well as other laws they don't like.

Now the Talk Shows are realizing this and MSNBC hacks are cringing.

bbsam

Staff member
​Regardless, it is just a matter of a few years before the Senate conducts all business based on a simple majority.

Why is that bad? Seems to me we'd finally get to bi-partisan governance with polarization finally nullified. You don't really think Republicans in Maine are going to follow Ted Cruz and the like, so you?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Why is that bad? Seems to me we'd finally get to bi-partisan governance with polarization finally nullified. You don't really think Republicans in Maine are going to follow Ted Cruz and the like, so you?
Why do you think I think it is bad?

I was just predicting a future event.

For those that want to get rid of Obamacare, 2017 looks like a doable date.

And that's just the beginning and this is the only bad thing resulting from today's Senate actions ...
Every time one party gets control of the Congress and the Pres, everything that was enacted before is now up for change.

bbsam

Staff member
I think you are using current gridlock calculus to predict a future unknowable political calculus. I think Republicans and Democrats will be freer to vote their conscience and for their constituents, many of whom will be benefitting from Obamacare.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think you are using current gridlock calculus to predict a future unknowable political calculus. I think Republicans and Democrats will be freer to vote their conscience and for their constituents, many of whom will be benefitting from Obamacare.

That's pretty naive coming from you ... you know better than that.

Political leaders of each party will dictate what happens unless it is reliant on a handful of National government politicians who fancy themselves Statesmen.
Can't think of one of the top of my head ... maybe McCain but he'll probably be dead by 2017.

bbsam

Staff member
I think you are being naive. It didn't always take 60 votes to move legislation and yet Social Security hasn't been repealed.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Why do you think I think it is bad?

I was just predicting a future event.

For those that want to get rid of Obamacare, 2017 looks like a doable date.

And that's just the beginning and this is the only bad thing resulting from today's Senate actions ...
Every time one party gets control of the Congress and the Pres, everything that was enacted before is now up for change.

Doable date?

you have to be joking, oh wait, you support the biggest political joke in history, yet you believe the republicans have a chance in 2016. Good luck with that.

The GOP will lose the house, and the dems will keep the senate and the white house in 2016.

The majority of americans will continue to elect the democrats to rebuild this country. Its clear by the established record, that the republicans have done nothing but be political obstructionists in the recovery of the USA.

Today, the first time in history, the stock market closed above 16K, a long cry from the destruction of the stock market under the BUSH Regime.

Lets see? 6800 for BUSH to 16K under Obama.

Hmm? Yeah Hoax, americans will vote to return to the days of the bush policies, it worked out so well for all americans over 8 years.

You people just hate this president and his efforts to get this country back on its feet. You would rather have the country crash than support the efforts to put americans back to work.

Ridiculous hearings to nowhere. Millions of taxdollars wasted by Darryl Issa on worthless, fruitless hearings that have NO RESULTS.

2014 will be a disaster for the republicans. I hope they put Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, Sarah Palin and Marco Rubio out front and then for chitts and giggles, Give Dr Ben Crazy a platform to put his feet back into his stupid mouth.

The party of loonatics will see its worst year in political history since putting Romney on the Ticket. Back to Back wipeouts.

Time will tell.

For now, you cling to gridlock and nonsense and the rest of the country will move forward and continue to rebuild this nation.

TOS.

oldngray

nowhere special
Obama 2005: "I rise today to urge my colleagues to think about the implications of what has been called the nuclear option and what effect that might have on this Chamber and on this country. I urge all of us to think not just about winning every debate but about protecting free and democratic debate." In 2005, Joe Biden said the following: "This nuclear option is ultimately an example of the arrogance of power." " We have been through these periods before in American history but never, to the best of my knowledge, has any party been so bold as to fundamentally attempt to change the structure of this body."

moreluck

golden ticket member
Obama 2005: "I rise today to urge my colleagues to think about the implications of what has been called the nuclear option and what effect that might have on this Chamber and on this country. I urge all of us to think not just about winning every debate but about protecting free and democratic debate." In 2005, Joe Biden said the following: "This nuclear option is ultimately an example of the arrogance of power." " We have been through these periods before in American history but never, to the best of my knowledge, has any party been so bold as to fundamentally attempt to change the structure of this body."
When the shoe is on the other foot, he puts his balls in that court!!!

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The government has NO option but to by pass the GOP obstructionists and move this country along. The GOP continues to block appointments and hold up the operation of government.

The GOP continues to attempt to pass bills that hurt middle class americans ( like HR1406/2013) and yet, the faithfull on this board, who will be affected by this bill the most, continue to support them, even though they would LOSE big dollars in the process.

Its the classic example of brainwashing.

The DEMS and the country at large (outside the tea party fanatics) want this country to move forward and not backwards. The senate will now be able to get some things done. The GOP has had 5 years to strike a compromise with the dems in washington, and they have failed to do so.

With the GOP having a 9% approval rating, the country will hardly cry about this move.

TOS

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
Also from Obama's speech of 2005:

[FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]"The fact is that both parties have worked together to confirm 95% of this President's judicial nominees. The Senate has accepted 205 of his 214 selections. In fact, we just confirmed another one judge this week by a vote of 95-0. Overall, this is a better record than any President's had in the last 25 years. For a President who received 51% of the vote and a Senate chamber made up of 55% of the President's party, I'd say that confirming 95% of your judicial nominations is a record I'd be pretty happy with."[/FONT]

See what's changed since then?