number of hours a driver can work in a day

LaUpser

I haven't driven since peak ended. and I had to go back to my other job well I have given that job up to work preload and drive. what I can't remember is how many hours total in a day I can't go over. I know it's 50 a week. I can't got over. I'm only asking because Monday is my first day and they ask me to come in for 3 for preload.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I haven't driven since peak ended. and I had to go back to my other job well I have given that job up to work preload and drive. what I can't remember is how many hours total in a day I can't go over. I know it's 50 a week. I can't got over. I'm only asking because Monday is my first day and they ask me to come in for 3 for preload.
It is not not 50 in a week, it is 60.

You cannot drive more than 11 hours per day. This really never affects package car drivers.

You cannot drive after being on duty 14 hours without taking 10 hours off. This includes lunch and breaks.

You cannot drive after being on duty for 60 hours in 7 days. This does not include lunch and breaks in the 60 hour total.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Not sure what you're saying here, I drive well more than that a day. I'm assuming that the time I take with the vehicle not in motion doesn't count?
Yes. That is time behind the wheel, including stopped at traffic lights, construction, accidents etc.

Edit. Time while you are not driving, delivering packages, making pickups, does not count.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I never heard of this 11 hour nonsense

You have not heard of it because it is never, or very rarely, a concern for package car drivers.

It does affect all feeder drivers.

You have heard of the 14 hour rule and the 60 hour rule, have you not?

Most UPS package cars are classified as commercial motor vehicles for the purpose of DOT hours of service.

Most package cars have a gross vehicle weight rating of over 10,001 pounds, hence commercial motor vehicles. The drivers are then subject to DOT hours of service.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/hours-of-service

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/hours-service/summary-hours-service-regulations

Johney

It is not not 50 in a week, it is 60.

You cannot drive more than 11 hours per day. This really never affects package car drivers.

You cannot drive after being on duty 14 hours without taking 10 hours off. This includes lunch and breaks.

You cannot drive after being on duty for 60 hours in 7 days. This does not include lunch and breaks in the 60 hour total.
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you allowed 1 sixteen hour work day in a seven day period?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I officially declare this:

giphy.gif

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you allowed 1 sixteen hour work day in a seven day period?

I believe it's once a month, and it can only be extended if you were going somewhere, where normally you'd be back before 14 hours, but due to an accident/breakdown (or other unforeseen issues) come up

Johney

I believe it's once a month, and it can only be extended if you were going somewhere, where normally you'd be back before 14 hours, but due to an accident/breakdown (or other unforeseen issues) come up
Like sitting at the railyard? Been there done that.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Punched out at 17 hours -1 hour lunch =16 hours on the clock. Once. They did have to come meet me and drive me the last 1/2 hour on road.

I'm not denying that it happened, I'm saying that if your delay was because you were waiting at the railyard, then they should have told you to roll out