number of hours a driver can work in a day

Johney

I'm perfectly capable of keeping up, it's not a hard concept. Are you saying that all of you violated, then?
None of us violated. But the train was so late that several drivers who usually two trip loads couldn't, otherwise they would have really held up preload and drivers. A couple went over 14 but didn't have to be picked up like myself I had started very early in the afternoon the day before.
Myself and a few others weren't even scheduled for the railyard that morning, but do to the train being so late they sent us there.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I'm perfectly capable of keeping up, it's not a hard concept. Are you saying that all of you violated, then?
UPS can extend either your drive time by 2 hours or your 14 hours by 2 hours, not both. It is also up to UPS to classify what the exception is to extend your hours. This can only be done once a week, and only once a week.

Basically, it is anything that comes up during the day that was not foreseen before starting work.

A late train. A late plane. Highway shut down due to accident. A breakdown. A snowstorm.

ArcherUTR

But if a sate law is stricter than Federal Law or policy then that should be the standard for the state so long as it does not contradict Federal Law that causes an undue burden.

Else how can California be so hippie?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Well, I guess I'll add that to the reasons to succeed from the Union.

Does this mean that you want to help the union succeed?

succeed

/səkˈsēd/

verb

1. achieve the desired aim or result.
2. take over a throne, inheritance, office, or other position from.

secede

/səˈsēd/

verb

withdraw formally from membership in a federal union, an alliance, or a political or religious organization.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I believe it's once a month, and it can only be extended if you were going somewhere, where normally you'd be back before 14 hours, but due to an accident/breakdown (or other unforeseen issues) come up

It's once a week, I believe. I've had a 18+ hour day in a snow storm a few years back. Another driver, on the same road, was on the clock for 22 hours.

Dracula

I'm not denying that it happened, I'm saying that if your delay was because you were waiting at the railyard, then they should have told you to roll out

I've always been told that the delay has to be something that dispatch could not foresee before you started.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I've always been told that the delay has to be something that dispatch could not foresee before you started.
That is the way it is. If the train was not showing late before you started work, UPS can extend you.

Snowstorms are the same way. They may know snow is coming, but they cannot foresee the accidents that may hold you up or the road that closes after you have already started.

Dracula

That is the way it is. If the train was not showing late before you started work, UPS can extend you.

Snowstorms are the same way. They may know snow is coming, but they cannot foresee the accidents that may hold you up or the road that closes after you have already started.

Actually, they're not SUPPOSED to claim ignorance when you got caught up in a snowstorm that was predicted to be a real mother-scratcher. That was the case for us that night. But I didn't care. I thought it was funny that they had to load up an SUV with five new drivers and drive over 250 miles round trip to come corral all of us. I waited for three hours, sleeping. I found out that day that a great use for your snow chains is to leave them on your gas pedal to keep your tractor running while you sleep.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Actually, they're not SUPPOSED to claim ignorance when you got caught up in a snowstorm that was predicted to be a real mother-scratcher. That was the case for us that night. But I didn't care. I thought it was funny that they had to load up an SUV with five new drivers and drive over 250 miles round trip to come corral all of us. I waited for three hours, sleeping. I found out that day that a great use for your snow chains is to leave them on your gas pedal to keep your tractor running while you sleep.
I know, but they do.

They say that they knew it would be slow going, but did not count on accidents or road closures.

They sent me out in a level 2 snowstorm in December of 2004, knowing full well that we were forcasted to get 12 inches of snow in an 8 hour period and it would most likely turn into a level 3.

I did not get extended, but only made it 150 miles in 10 hours before they shut the highway down.

Was only going about 30 mph on the highway and stopping every 10 miles to clear the snow and ice off the wipers and windshield.