Numbers Question on Union stats and Voting!

RealPerson

Who knows how many employees work for UPS.
How many are in the Union or %

For the National Contract, what Percent of Union Members Voted??

What % did the Master pass by?

Then, I heard in Local 89 only 3000 out of 8000+ voted this last time around? Correct? Reasons why?

RealPerson

I know there could be many reasons, even the fact that most knew it would go down, so why vote.... Just wondering if anyone heard....

Still love to know the numbers, above. If I remember right it is even a Low Percent that voted on the master that narrowly passed the second time...

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
There are 322,400 UPS employees in the US. Approximately 235,000 of those are teamsters. The final count for the vote on the national Master was 34307 yes to 30202 no. As you can see there were about 65,000 votes counted, or less than 30% of the members returned their ballots. The Master was a very close vote as you can see.

You heard correct the vote in the last proposal to local 89 was voted down 2804 to 185 on the second vote. The first vote was voted down by 3520 to 441 so you can see that almost 1000 less votes were counted on the second vote. There are over 8000 UPS Teamsters in local 89.

There are as many theories as there are fish in the sea as to why people don't vote. My personal opinion is that most people are to lazy to take the time to do the due diligence necessary to form their own opinion therefor they just don't vote. It is no different in any election. 30% of the people decide the fate of the entire group. I will never understand how people sit back and watch as the world takes them by the balls instead of being active and taking the world by the balls!!!

govtmule

At local 89, the question is simple to answer. Most of the voters are part-time kids that don't understand the significance of voting. However, most of those that did not vote are very much in support of local 89's effort to win a fair contract. I have seen first hand those that don't vote voice their disapproval of current disputed issues.

govtmule

In addition, I have read posts that state that since less then 50% did not vote, the national could force through a contract. If it came down to getting 50% to vote to show the national that members support local 89, this would not be a problem. Getting those did not vote to vote is not very hard. Many of those did not vote because they knew that it would be voted down. They felt their vote does not matter because the overwhelming majority of voices are supportive of local 89's position.

I just hope that other teamsters around the country will support local 89's efforts to win a fair contract. If those that can empathize with 804 can do the same for 89, local 89 can win a fair contract. I suggest looking at the members offers at 89 and those facts surrounding the offers. You will be shocked at how minor those issues are compared to size of the company.

RealPerson

There are 322,400 UPS employees in the US. Approximately 235,000 of those are teamsters. The final count for the vote on the national Master was 34307 yes to 30202 no. As you can see there were about 65,000 votes counted, or less than 30% of the members returned their ballots. The Master was a very close vote as you can see.

You heard correct the vote in the last proposal to local 89 was voted down 2804 to 185 on the second vote. The first vote was voted down by 3520 to 441 so you can see that almost 1000 less votes were counted on the second vote. There are over 8000 UPS Teamsters in local 89.

There are as many theories as there are fish in the sea as to why people don't vote. My personal opinion is that most people are to lazy to take the time to do the due diligence necessary to form their own opinion therefor they just don't vote. It is no different in any election. 30% of the people decide the fate of the entire group. I will never understand how people sit back and watch as the world takes them by the balls instead of being active and taking the world by the balls!!!
Thank You!

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
With local 89, it was clear that the vote would be an overwhelming NO vote this time around. With "LITTLE" support for a YES vote, members just didnt get involved.

Why? Because it was going to get shot down anyways.

Dont blame 89 for holding this up. They are "fighting" for a better contract. Something the international should have been doing, instead of trying to ram a "backdoor" deal down our throats at our own expense.

If the WEST had actually had enough members voting originally, the national would have been shot down as well and we wouldnt be in this mess.

But in the west, getting people to vote is near impossible. 100% will bitch about it, but less than 20% will actually return a ballot.

If you want to blame anyone, put it on the west and more over, put it on local 396 who had a 95% rejection of both the national and riders, yet, more than 4000 members didnt vote at all.

If they had, the national would have gone down and the international would have had to renegotiate the whole contract.

89 was able to separate themselves from the B.S. and stand up to the company.

Additionally, its the IBT to blame for this contract. They "thought" they had it in the bag, shooting for a 51% passage.

They miscalculated and now have to face the music.

TOS.

RealPerson

Someone just posted this,
"Local 89 AIR RIDER only covers air employees. Drivers and part timers in other buildings do not get to vote"

So, if true, how many Air Employees are there? My thoughts are I thought it was an Air hub only, so ummm.....

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Local 89 has over 16,000 members. Not sure the total number that are UPS elsewhere but there are 8000 at the worldport facility the way i understand it

Last edited:

AlwaysChafed

99% of the people who work for UPS are morons. They'd rather drive their F350 PowerStroke and drink two cases of beer on Sunday to watch NASCAR and when they see "$37.00 an hour in 2016?!?" "I'm signing!" Without reading the fine print.