Numbingly Cold

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Farmer's Almanac calls for "Numbingly Cold and Snowy" for two thirds of ther country. The West and Southwest will still experience colder than normal temps.

How many of you think Farmer's Almanac is accurate in long range predictions?
They cant even be close. After all, they have not talked to Al Gore. There is Global Warming going on.:wink2:

I do find it interesting that when I was in grade school, they were talking about the global cooling, and that by the 21st century, we would be headed for the next Ice Age.

The scare mongers keep making killings with the tactics that they use, and us regular people just ignore them and continue on.

I would put a lot more stock in the Farmers Almanac than I would Al Gore.

d

beatupbrown

Weather prediction is one of the toughest things to compute. There are only several things that they actually use a supercomputer for one is nuclear dentations and weather forecast.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Weather prediction is one of the toughest things to compute. There are only several things that they actually use a supercomputer for one is nuclear dentations and weather forecast.

The both have parallels too. Interestingly, meteorology is the 2nd most difficult cirriculum to nuclear engineering. :knockedout:

Raw

Raw Member
My grandma used to say when your swamp-ass starts to clear that means your not sweating as much , hense it`s less humid. :anxious:

Brown_Eyed_Girl

It was sooooooo cold in the unload last year............

Wore underarmour, long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, winter jacket, underarmour mask hoodie thingy, knit cap and gloves. Probably looked like the Michelin Man. Wonder if UPS would allow me to transfer to FL for the winter, then come back in the summer. LOL

beatupbrown

They cant even be close. After all, they have not talked to Al Gore. There is Global Warming going on.:wink2:

I do find it interesting that when I was in grade school, they were talking about the global cooling, and that by the 21st century, we would be headed for the next Ice Age.

The scare mongers keep making killings with the tactics that they use, and us regular people just ignore them and continue on.

I would put a lot more stock in the Farmers Almanac than I would Al Gore.

d
Are global climate is A very complicated system on how it works .We are in a 2 million cycle of an ice age. We are due for another ice age in 10 to15 thousand years .One strange fact is when earth warms up it cools down, the ice melting from the poles shuts down the ocean currents that carrying warm water north making that area warmer.
Global warming is a natural thing that happens. 85%of scientist thinks man is responsible for this current warming phase. I wonder if million and millions of new internal combustible engines, power plants spewing carbon monoxide in the atmosphere can affect are climate. China has hundreds of new coal burning plants coming on line each month and they are not alone most are not using scrubber’s new technology due to the high cost to take some co2 out of the smoke.
China and India have a middle class adding thousand of people each month who want to buy motor cycle’s cars, and all consumer based items spewing co2. So I guess the argument is can million and millions of cars internal combustible engines and hundreds of new coal burning plants ,china has the 2 most coal in the world, make the earth climate warm Up ?
Just thinking about it seems simple to me, it must be a factor is just a mater of how much. The earth temperature rising only 2 degrees can have a huge impact on earth climate the research has shown.
One way to do research on this topic is to take ice core samples that can show thousands of years of earth’s climate and what effect co2 it had on it. It is amazing how much information they can get out of an ice core sample with modern technology.
:smart:

NHDRVR

Yeah the U.S. is pretty safe here out.

Nothing is impossible, but none of those years were El Nino years, which is not a cooincidence. Pacific is El Nino right now and most of this summer, which puts a lid on tropical forcing and upper air features in the Atlantic that promote tropical systems.

All of those summers, 50, 54, 95, 98, 05 were more or less La Nina or at least cooling.

Temperature hit 34 at the house last night! Forgetting about hurricanes, we're not far from snowing (usually Oct. we get a first snow here in Southern NH). Nothing more fun than sliding around in 12" of snow! :D

Speaking of first snow in southern, NH....

Last peak during the ice storm....that was a friggin nightmare

I tried making it to Nashua and my 45 min trip (normally) took 2 plus hours and that was with no traffic. Looked like a war zone...

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Speaking of first snow in southern, NH....

Last peak during the ice storm....that was a friggin nightmare

I tried making it to Nashua and my 45 min trip (normally) took 2 plus hours and that was with no traffic. Looked like a war zone...

Yes, what a storm that was. What area did you drive to Nashua from?

Worcester and central MA was crushed by that storm. Even here in the Hudson/Windham area there was quite a bit of damage and no power for 8 days, but nothing compared to MA. The scarring on the trees off of Route 2 in Fitchburg/Ashburnham is really incredible; the trees are still nuked.

Not a fun couple weeks to be driving a fully loaded car trying to get home in 8 or 9.

up-E84E7H82PEPOJH72.jpg

NHDRVR

I go right through your neck of the woods...Up Rt. 111, hopefully make it under 93, past the new high school and on through Hudson.

The ice storm hit on December 11, my B-day, and we were without power for 7 days. Makes for a long peak...

over9five

Staff member
Here's my ice storm thread from that.

Trees are still ugly. So many broke near the top. After the leaves fall, I plan on trying to chainsaw some of the broken branches from the trees in my yard.

brownrodster

Every fall I wonder if I will be abe to make it the entire winter while still wearing shorts.

I wear shorts even when it gets down into the 20's which is about as cold as it ever gets here. I even wear shorts when it snows. Last year I wore pants for about 3 weeks when we had a foot and a half of snow (rare) and I was chaining up every day. It has to be really bad before I will drag my ratty pairs of pants out of storage.

I've got the same weather as you. Right now it's 75-80 and I wish we could finally get some cooler fall weather. Typical winter/fall day is around 50 degrees and raining. Which is actually decent weather to work in.

ups1990

Today, I had a numbingly cold drink at 7/11. It was around 90 degrees on my route. Any of you East Coasters want a cocktail?

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
Today, I had a numbingly cold drink at 7/11. It was around 90 degrees on my route. Any of you East Coasters want a cocktail?

Triple digit here for parts of the day...but it's a dry heat :wink2:

Soon, the night horizon will be aglow with the So. Cal. "aurora borealis" and we will know fall is in full swing here.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Heat index here was 106 today. I had that same drink in my hand. Filled up my 64oz cup about 6 times today. Some people are amazed when they see me go into a store/restaurant and fill up my cup.

Triple digit here for parts of the day...but it's a dry heat :wink2:

Soon, the night horizon will be aglow with the So. Cal. "aurora borealis" and we will know fall is in full swing here.
Fully wet heat here. If it was anymore humid today, I would have turned into a giant rain drop.