Nurses forum group degrades UPS drivers and our salary

rod

Retired 22 years
That gals second paragraph says it all. If she is so flabbergasted that a UPS driver makes so much that she considered quitting nursing and go driver the brown truck---she should have. I have a feeling that would shut her up.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I can understand where they come off thinking that. They're in the business of keeping people alive and comfortable as possible when things go bad. They probably don't realize that a lot of the stuff they rely on to do their job comes from people like us. As such, they are blissfully ignorant

The same could be said for teachers, firefighters, police officers, etc.

They chose the career and they knew what the salary range would be.

JL 0513

A lot of talk saying nurses should make more because they went to college for 4 years. That's not how it works. Education doesn't necessary determine earnings. Not saying they shouldn't make more than us, many do. Most RN's make more per hour I believe. Education isn't the defining factor in earnings. Most billionaires are college drop outs or never went at all.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
A lot of talk saying nurses should make more because they went to college for 4 years. That's not how it works. Education doesn't necessary determine earnings. Not saying they shouldn't make more than us, many do. Most RN's make more per hour I believe. Education isn't the defining factor in earnings. Most billionaires are college drop outs or never went at all.
Here's the problem most nursing jobs can be done with a quick cheap two year degree but hospitals are making them get their 4 year degrees. It's a massive waste of money.

NonDeliverOtherMissed

For a short stint(maybe a month) DOT changed their law/policy that 30 min of lunch must be completed before your first 8 hrs of work...ups musta argued it and won because that is no longer the case...I usually take my lunch end of day, would rather sit knowing I can go home when I'm done , then sitting know I still have a truck with 75 stops left.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
For a short stint(maybe a month) DOT changed their law/policy that 30 min of lunch must be completed before your first 8 hrs of work...ups musta argued it and won because that is no longer the case...I usually take my lunch end of day, would rather sit knowing I can go home when I'm done , then sitting know I still have a truck with 75 stops left.

Wrong thread. We're doin' nurses here!

Anyway, the DOT did not change the law. UPS does not have that kind of pull. You fall under the short haul exemption.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Well two things. First an ex center manager I had quit UPS to go onto nursing, She said with out a doubt the job is far easier than anything at UPS. I love how they all claim to be saving lives. That's like saying the toll collectors built the bridge. Second my brothers wife is a nurse and she's as stupid as the day is long.

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
Well two things. First an ex center manager I had quit UPS to go onto nursing, She said with out a doubt the job is far easier than anything at UPS. I love how they all claim to be saving lives. That's like saying the toll collectors built the bridge. Second my brothers wife is a nurse and she's as stupid as the day is long.

I hope the next time need an IV the nurse has a very difficult time finding a vein and sticks you a few extra times.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Here's the problem most nursing jobs can be done with a quick cheap two year degree but hospitals are making them get their 4 year degrees. It's a massive waste of money.

My ex received her two year degree from a local community college known for their nursing program.

You are right in that more hospitals are requiring their nurses to either have or be working toward a 4 year degree.