Nurses forum group degrades UPS drivers and our salary

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

some fathers make a commitment to pay for there child's college education and some don't. some fathers can't afford to pay it all in the 2 or 4 years there kid is in school, so the agree to pay there kids loans.

...and I have no problem with that...at some point you have to cut the cord, especially if the child is making just shy of six figures...

Gear

Parts on Order
OK I was unclear, I was under the impression the only thing UPS mechanics know how to write is "part ordered OK to drive" Your long winded responses threw me off. The trade off for the money is a destroyed body and lost time with the family.

Destroyed bodies. Most labor jobs destroy your body, driving for UPS is no worse then the garbage man picking up heavy bags of garbage. How about the Pepsi guy delivering cases of pop for 12 hours a day. Both of those jobs are Teamsters (not all garbage companies are Teamsters), who work long days in snow, heat and rain. Only difference is we make double what they make. Next time you go to a general meeting sit down with the fellow non UPS Teamsters and tell them about how difficult your job is and how much money you make. See what they say.

Lost time with families. I work a late 2nd shift, so I miss alot of time with my family. But in return I make more money then other mechs, have excellent health care and I WILL get to retire some day. I dont feel like I sacrifice anything. I dont understand why you guys act like victims. Everyone earns and deserves their paycheck. We work for a large company who makes tons of money, we deserve what we get. Its give and take, we are not victims.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Destroyed bodies. Most labor jobs destroy your body, driving for UPS is no worse then the garbage man picking up heavy bags of garbage. How about the Pepsi guy delivering cases of pop for 12 hours a day. Both of those jobs are Teamsters (not all garbage companies are Teamsters), who work long days in snow, heat and rain. Only difference is we make double what they make. Next time you go to a general meeting sit down with the fellow non UPS Teamsters and tell them about how difficult your job is and how much money you make. See what they say.

Lost time with families. I work a late 2nd shift, so I miss alot of time with my family. But in return I make more money then other mechs, have excellent health care and I WILL get to retire some day. I dont feel like I sacrifice anything. I dont understand why you guys act like victims. Everyone earns and deserves their paycheck. We work for a large company who makes tons of money, we deserve what we get. Its give and take, we are not victims.
yeah,, ok. You have no idea

By The Book

...and I have no problem with that...at some point you have to cut the cord, especially if the child is making just shy of six figures...
Yeah that kids cord got cut 2 months into that job. When most of us 25 year drivers went to college, or didn't we didn't have parents who paid for everything......we had to support ourselves.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If you can get into the schooling for that. I hear it is hard to get into. But well worth it.
It's what my wife does.

If you're willing to kind of go wherever and have the requirements one can probably get in but if you need to stay local your options may be very limited.

She should look at my salary... lets see 108k gross for 2015 + benefits and pension, I'm probably at the $145,000 total

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
Yeah, be sure to tell her it's 3600 a month for a 2 bedroom flat to rent too?

Ha, yeah it's disgusting. I'm a peninsula guy born and raised and I bought a house in the east bay last year...crossing the San Mateo bridge every morning is worth paying $200K less for my home.

underworked1

Where I'm from that position starts at $250k. If my wife did that I'm be a stay at home.
We have a driver who's wife makes 300K a year. He does the driver gig to stay busy. Because he doesn't need this job he rides the :censored2: out of management. Screams at them. Files 10+ grievances at a time. One day it was pouring rain. He stops the truck and calls in to request a raincoat because he wasn't provided the tools to do his job. He sat there for 2 hours until the rain died down. Wish I didn't need the money lol

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
We have a driver who's wife makes 300K a year. He does the driver gig to stay busy. Because he doesn't need this job he rides the :censored2: out of management. Screams at them. Files 10+ grievances at a time. One day it was pouring rain. He stops the truck and calls in to request a raincoat because he wasn't provided the tools to do his job. He sat there for 2 hours until the rain died down. Wish I didn't need the money lol
they dont provide raincoats to drivers and this guy sounds like a pos

Orion inc.

I like turtles
My wife makes close to that and I would never act like this. I like to stay busy but I had my job at ups before I met my wife and we met before she started doing well. I look at it as being a team and not expecting one or the other to bring everything to the table.

I guess it comes down to work ethic.

And this guy sounds like a jerk. Being comfortable in life doesn't entitle you to be an ass.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Why is he a "pos" for giving back to management what management has/will continue to give us?

Is it because you just wish you were in his position of giving management crap without worry of recourse?

He is not a pos, but it is the drivers responsibility to make sure he has all the tools necessary to do the job before he leaves the building.

This cannot be the first time it has rained in this drivers career.

It is drivers like this that make management act even worse to everyone else. One driver can affect how management treats every other driver.

Choose your bwttles wisely.