Obama calls Eagles owner to congratulate for signing Vick....

Lue C Fur

Evil member
Michael Vick(notes) has been getting support from all sides during his road to redemption. He's now getting it from the leader of the free world.
NBC's Peter King reports that Barack Obama called Philadelphia Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie earlier this week to congratulate him for giving Vick a second chance after his release from prison. According to King, the president said that released prisoners rarely receive a level playing field and that Vick's story could begin to change that.

What a bunch of crap!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...-owner-to-congraulate-him-for-?urn=nfl-300632

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Michael Vick(notes) has been getting support from all sides during his road to redemption. He's now getting it from the leader of the free world.
NBC's Peter King reports that Barack Obama called Philadelphia Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie earlier this week to congratulate him for giving Vick a second chance after his release from prison. According to King, the president said that released prisoners rarely receive a level playing field and that Vick's story could begin to change that.

What a bunch of crap!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...-owner-to-congraulate-him-for-?urn=nfl-300632

Vick's story will have little to no effect on the ability of other inmates to become productive members of society upon their release; however, that doesn't mean that we should diminish the effort he has put in to taking advantage of the second chance that he has been given. He should be named NFL Comeback Player of the Year and very well could lead the Eagles to the Super Bowl. I applaud the President for making the call.

I know I will catch hell for this as well but I also support Vick's desire to adopt a dog in the near future with the support of the ASPCA.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Obama has his nose where it doesn't belong................he has no qualifications for being president and now he wants to run the ex-cons programs, the NFL and all other "rock star" stuff that's not important for the country. He's so scattered he can't focus on anything.....maybe he should be the mayor of Chicago too.

curiousbrain

Vick's story will have little to no effect on the ability of other inmates to become productive members of society upon their release; however, that doesn't mean that we should diminish the effort he has put in to taking advantage of the second chance that he has been given. He should be named NFL Comeback Player of the Year and very well could lead the Eagles to the Super Bowl. I applaud the President for making the call.

I know I will catch hell for this as well but I also support Vick's desire to adopt a dog in the near future with the support of the ASPCA.

I'd agree that Vick's effort and willingness to take advantage of his release is to be commended; however, it does bother me on a somewhat personal level (albeit my personal feelings are somewhat irrelevant) that he gets a second chance. The majority of us common folk (exceptions probably exist, I would think) would be given nary a second glance, nevermind a chance. To be a bit more concise in that, if one of us committed comparable offenses in our profession, would we be treated with the same amount of support and understanding that Vick has? Granted, it doesn't hurt he probably has a large PR machine.

As to him adopting a dog, it strikes me that that is sort of akin to a person guilty of child abuse asking for custody back - however, I find that metaphors lend themselves to poor arguments so I can't really rely on the former one. Given his history, I don't think Vick shouldn't be allowed to adopt a dog, although I do think that if he is allowed to (who could stop him, I suppose), special considerations should be made - a monthly visit from Animal Control, perhaps? And if Vick is genuine in his rehabilitation, I don't see why he would object, really.

As for Obama, it doesn't bother me in the least he made the call. Even the President is not exempt from personal feelings or actions, I should think.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I agree he should be given a chance. Dont have an opinion about the presidents call.
I do not think he should adopt a dog. At least not yet. do we let a pedophile adopt a kid, when he has served his time. Sorry to me a dog is just like a person, and shouldnt be put in an unstable situation.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis

I agree.
The ASPCA will have him under a microscope and perhaps this would end up being the greatest lesson Vick would learn.
The unconditional love from a dog.
Perhaps, someday, Vick would look Buster in eyes and feel the souls of those lives he destroyed.
He will understand how much his past actions hurt many....

tieguy

Banned

What a bunch of crap!!!

I wonder if Obama spoke out against the abuse of innocent animals when Vick was being arrested for his crimes. Probably too much to ask.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I will concede that Vick being given a second chance is something most of us who committed similar offenses would not be afforded.

If you or I were convicted of this, we would get a fine and probation ... it's a double-edged sword.
People get convicted of this all the time and for a first offense, rarely go to jail.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If you or I were convicted of this, we would get a fine and probation ... it's a double-edged sword.
People get convicted of this all the time and for a first offense, rarely go to jail.
There's some truth to that, a friend of mine is a P.O. for the feds and knows some of the guys that did the investigation on Vick. They actually weren't planning to throw the book at him initially, they knew that a lengthy jail term would probably be the end of his career and they were going to offer him a plea deal that likely would have gotten him a suspended sentence and a lengthy probation but little to no jail time. What changed their mind was that Vick lied to them and continued to deny everything when they knew they had him cold, that's when they decided to hammer him. If he wasn't a multimillionaire sports hero with access to the best lawyers, he probably wouldn't have done that, he probably would have taken the plea deal which is also probably what you or I would do.

diesel96

What a bunch of crap!!!

Thank you for posting this. Of course it would be too much to expect the MSM media (especially Fox, Drudge, and Breitbart) to have reported the real reason for the President's contact of the Eagles. It's easy to distract people. Our media is the perfect medium, and our intelligence agencies are expert at it. It's disappointing that people are focusing exclusively on the Michael Vick part of the equation. The president didn't call Lurie to thank him for hiring Michael Vick alone. He wanted to thank Lurie for doing something much more important. Read between the headlines people.....

Babagounj

Strength through joy
could Bo's next owner be Vicks ?
obama-bo-dog-president-photos1.jpg

Babagounj

Strength through joy
diesel96; here's the real story............
Parents of Soldier Killed in Afghanistan Feel Slighted by US Senator and President Obama

(The Tacoma News-Tribune)
The parents of a Yelm soldier killed in Afghanistan earlier this month have received cards from friends and strangers expressing condolences, and they’re grateful for the support. “As a father of someone killed, it is overwhelming,” said Lt. Col. Patrick Collins (Ret.). His son, Sgt. Sean Collins, was buried Wednesday at the Tahoma National Cemetery.Among that outpouring of empathy, two politicians inadvertently stung the family.
One slight came in a letter of condolences the family received from the office of Sen. Maria Cantwell, D-Wash.
“Again, please accept my warmest condolences. May your memories of Bryn and the knowledge that he made a positive impact on the lives of so many serve as a source of comfort to you during this time of sorrow.”
The letter was dated Dec. 20 and delivered to Sean Collins’ mother, Linda Collins of Yelm. The error conveyed to the family that Cantwell had sent a form letter.
“They couldn’t even proofread it,” she said. “I’m sure if her son had died, she would’ve at least wanted his name spelled correctly. That’s just sloppy staff work, that’s an embarrassment,” Patrick Collins said.
The other slight came when Patrick Collins called the White House and asked to have President Obama call his ex-wife, Linda, to talk about their son. He was told that Obama did not regularly make phone calls to the families of fallen soldiers.
Later, Patrick Collins read a story about Obama’s phone call to Philadelphia Eagles owner Jeffery Lurie. Obama reportedly praised Lurie for giving quarterback Michael Vick a second chance to play football after serving time in prison for running a dog fighting ring.
“That burns,” Patrick Collins said Thursday. “Any soldier that gets killed in action, you’d think the president would be calling someone in the family. There’s no politics in it. His predecessor did it,” Collins said.
2010 By Far The Deadliest Year For U.S. Troops in Afghanistan: One American Killed Every 18 Hours…

tieguy

Banned
Thank you for posting this. Of course it would be too much to expect the MSM media (especially Fox, Drudge, and Breitbart) to have reported the real reason for the President's contact of the Eagles. It's easy to distract people. Our media is the perfect medium, and our intelligence agencies are expert at it. It's disappointing that people are focusing exclusively on the Michael Vick part of the equation. The president didn't call Lurie to thank him for hiring Michael Vick alone. He wanted to thank Lurie for doing something much more important. Read between the headlines people.....

lol. So you're denying the conversation about vick took place? Or are you saying the greening project negates the comments obama made about vick?