Obama: "USPS should take over FedEx and UPS"

Osprey413

Bull**** Coordinator
Has anyone else heard this? Someone told me that during a conversation about health care reform Obama said that USPS should take over UPS and FedEx. I haven't been able to find anything else about it though.

I'm not trying to start some huge political debate or anything, I just want to know if he was misquoted as saying that, or if he really does think USPS should take over UPS and FedEx.

upser_J

lol no... from yahoo news article... "He actually stated, “If you think about it, UPS and FedEx are doing just fine. It’s the Post Office that’s always having problems.”"

i believe that is what u heard

Dman82

Has anyone else heard this? Someone told me that during a conversation about health care reform Obama said that USPS should take over UPS and FedEx. I haven't been able to find anything else about it though.

I'm not trying to start some huge political debate or anything, I just want to know if he was misquoted as saying that, or if he really does think USPS should take over UPS and FedEx.
Yes I have. He said it at a health care town hall meeting in Portsmouth, NH.

Apparently what he was doing was comparing how our health care system was like the post office and how he compared private insurance companies to UPS and FedEx.

M

Mike23

Man, how sweet would it be to have one of those cushy USPS (or Canada Post here) jobs.

90% of their employees are actually done in an 8 hour day UNDER 8 hours up here. Why? Because every 2 years (unlike UPS) their supervisors walk or driver the route. If they can't do it in 8 hours it gets fixed. What does that mean? You get REWARDED for doing your job well (holy crap, what a concept!) by getting paid for 8 hours even if you're done in 7. It also means that the government postal system (at least in Canada) is more intelligent in running it's company AND dealing with their employees then UPS is...Yes, that means the government supervisors are smarter then our supervisors, scary, isn't it?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Man, how sweet would it be to have one of those cushy USPS (or Canada Post here) jobs.

90% of their employees are actually done in an 8 hour day UNDER 8 hours up here. Why? Because every 2 years (unlike UPS) their supervisors walk or driver the route. If they can't do it in 8 hours it gets fixed. What does that mean? You get REWARDED for doing your job well (holy crap, what a concept!) by getting paid for 8 hours even if you're done in 7. It also means that the government postal system (at least in Canada) is more intelligent in running it's company AND dealing with their employees then UPS is...Yes, that means the government supervisors are smarter then our supervisors, scary, isn't it?

How do you like your tax rebate from the Canadian government from the excess profits from the Canada Post Office?

steeltoe

Did he just say what I think he said? In a nut shell, the private sector is doing just fine, it is the goverment sector that has all the problems. How in the world does he think nationalized healthcare is going to be any different.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Did he just say what I think he said? In a nut shell, the private sector is doing just fine, it is the goverment sector that has all the problems. How in the world does he think nationalized healthcare is going to be any different.
Yes you did, and he does not think.

overallowed

rocket man

who cares ? Half of you dont know the rules that our union has to protect you. YOU HAVE PROVED THAT TIME AND TIME AGAIN BY THE QUESTIONS YOU ASK. so if the post offfice took over half of you would not know the diffrence. But you would notice the color of the uniform changed BECAUSE thats important. you wanted CHANGE YOU GOT IT.

QKRSTKR

who cares ? Half of you dont know the rules that our union has to protect you. YOU HAVE PROVED THAT TIME AND TIME AGAIN BY THE QUESTIONS YOU ASK. so if the post offfice took over half of you would not know the diffrence. But you would notice the color of the uniform changed BECAUSE thats important. you wanted CHANGE YOU GOT IT.

Seen a sweet bumper sticker while on vacation. "I'll keep my guns and my money, you can keep the CHANGE!"

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
you ****, he is speaking of the past govt failed policies,(that you are all so fond of)

Last edited by a moderator:

beentheredonethat

Mike, think about it, USPS loses billions a year (with a B). UPS makes Billions a year. You think the USPS is run better? Also, besides the fact of the difference of profit. UPS pays property tax, USPS doesn't. UPS pays taxes on profits, when USPS does have a profit, there's no tax. UPS pays parking tickets, USPS doesn't receive them by law. USPS can put by law small pkgs into mail box I bought, UPS by law can't. Even with all the subsidies, even with all the laws on their side. USPS loses money. Why, probably from what you think is a great idea above.

FedEX 4 Life

Mike, think about it, USPS loses billions a year (with a B). UPS makes Billions a year. You think the USPS is run better? Also, besides the fact of the difference of profit. UPS pays property tax, USPS doesn't. UPS pays taxes on profits, when USPS does have a profit, there's no tax. UPS pays parking tickets, USPS doesn't receive them by law. USPS can put by law small pkgs into mail box I bought, UPS by law can't. Even with all the subsidies, even with all the laws on their side. USPS loses money. Why, probably from what you think is a great idea above.
Exactly.USPS has all the advantages and none of the disadvantages we have and they still suck.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
He just keeps making himself look bad.

He didn't even say it, and everyone is drawing "conclusions". This is like the "end of life" counseling sessions that were originally going to be part of the health plan and covered by Medicare. Suddenly, idiots like Sarah Palin were claiming that Obama was promoting "death panels", euthaniztion of the elderly etc. Are Republicans retarded, or just stupid?

Just a guess. You probably think Palin is one smart cookie, "don't ya know it". I thought so.

Last edited by a moderator:

chev

Nightcrawler
My thoughts exactly. :wink2:

bbsam

Staff member
Yes, what a ridiculous statement. So, why is everyone afraid of the "public option"? Apparently insurance companies are afraid to compete with the government. Why are we at Fedex and UPS not afraid of competing with the USPS? Because when you get past the surface of the statement, that's where the real point lies.