Obama Wins - Unionizing Fed Ex

rod

Retired 22 years
First, I would venture to say that FedEx employess do not feel "screwed over",

It's a VARY rare person that actually likes their job and enjoys going to work. I could introduce you to a couple of friends of mine who retired from Fedex who would argue the "screwed over" point with you. Their pension sucks! I always said that if you think UPS employees complain about their jobs - you should talk to a Fedex worker. They are in a catagory of their own.:peaceful:

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
And you confuse the hell out of me, in other posts you seem to be all about the union. In your later post your equate unionized ups as a drag car with 4 flat tires? Which is it? Are you dripping with sarcasm and I missed it? You have to be sarcastic cause your go Bethlehem Steel and Fly Eastern signature are companies that don't even remotely exist anymore. They both closed down in the 90's and were once prominent in their respective industries. Reading about their collapse though shows that unions had little to do with Bethlehem's case, it was management's failure to change with the times and Eastern' problems were already happening when the strikes took them out.

pkgdriver

It's a VARY rare person that actually likes their job and enjoys going to work. I could introduce you to a couple of friends of mine who retired from Fedex who would argue the "screwed over" point with you. Their pension sucks! I always said that if you think UPS employees complain about their jobs - you should talk to a Fedex worker. They are in a catagory of their own.:peaceful:

After talking to the FredExers on my route and reading the http://www.fedexaminer.com forums I've also come to the opinion that they are in their own category. Express,Ground,Home and possibly Freight also.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Without thinking - quickly name one Company in the USA - Any company.

Now go look up that company on Yahoo finance, or google. Find what thier largest single annual expense is, overall.

Payroll, employee entitlements. 95% of the time. (It is #1 with UPS, by the way)

In UPS's situation, it's called a boat anchor. And for reasons I am unable to comprehend, we think we would save FedEx employees, level the playing field by wrapping this anchor around them. I don't get it.

Level playing field? Guess what? Life isn't fair - get a helmet (Learned that when I was 6 years old for God's sake)

Random Question of the moment - Why did they get rid of this little wing-windows on the front windows of cars? They were great!

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
If unionizing creates job losses at FedEx it will create job gains for us. The packages exist no matter who delivers them. I would rather my company deliver them.

A company that, because of our union, must take care of it's people to the tune of the best compensated employees in our industry. UPS make money, we make money, win win. Maybe the stockholders don't make as much as they would like, but they are making a profit. Just not at their employee's expense.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
But look what they do in a day...nothing. I see some of them sit in their rig at docks for 25 minutes talking on the phone and filling out their logs and paperwork. They sit in the receiving areas drinking coffee and bs'ing with the businesses.They also have decent benefit packages. They will be able to walk upright when they retire, try saying the same thing for the "hunchback" ups retiree named "igor". Ups is making a killing on drivers....period. They want to downplay everything, keep on dangling the "for gawds sake you make 28 dollars an hour" line over, and over again. Not trying to bash you, but do you know what I mean?

Ground drivers have zero benefits, and Express employees no longer have a bona fide pension plan, so you're way off-base on the "benefit packages" comment. And while it's certainly true that UPS drivers work harder in most cases, Fred definitely gets his money's worth from most of us. While volumes are way down, management continues to collapse routes so productivity is actually rising at FedEx Express. Ground will go union before Express because they're not restricted by the RLA like we are. UPS would obviously benefit because the competitive advantage of Ground's ultra low-cost structure would evaporate.....level playing field.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
who said anything about leveling the playing field? if fedex gets unionized, then ups picks up business because they won't be able to be competitive.

S hammer

I was a new driver (not UPS) when in 98? there was a strike @ UPS ;Is that when FEDX got alot of our business (customers) ? because; They were left hanging in the wind and vowed to Never be a UPS customer again , Ever. Their businesses were brought to an impass because they could not send a $2.00 part and they could not receive a $2.00 part too!(less freight cost) I would have been ------off too. Well, guess who has a good labor `contract` to accomodate these trying times. Right now i believe it would be alot more critical than in `98 to loose customer loyalty! I`m union & thankful hauling,freight.......

Without thinking - quickly name one Company in the USA - Any company.

Now go look up that company on Yahoo finance, or google. Find what thier largest single annual expense is, overall.

Payroll, employee entitlements. 95% of the time. (It is #1 with UPS, by the way)

In UPS's situation, it's called a boat anchor. And for reasons I am unable to comprehend, we think we would save FedEx employees, level the playing field by wrapping this anchor around them. I don't get it.

Level playing field? Guess what? Life isn't fair - get a helmet (Learned that when I was 6 years old for God's sake)

Random Question of the moment - Why did they get rid of this little wing-windows on the front windows of cars? They were great!
Even small companies that do not have the entitlements are facing the high cost of employees. I don't know what the % of payroll is the total expense but it is normally the highest. People can't work for nothing for very long. Even with UPS having the best compensated employees in the industry, the company is making profits in the multi-millions yearly.

What part of, "FedEx ground employee's do not have "entitlements". " do you not comprehend? With unionization they would have insurance that helps control the cost of Living. I have talked with several FE ground guys that are unhappy with their jobs and their income, but say they can't do anything about it because they owe too much to the company store. And all this misery with out one little bit of input from me.

And you are right, life isn't fair. If it were I would have a full head of hair.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Ground drivers have zero benefits, and Express employees no longer have a bona fide pension plan, so you're way off-base on the "benefit packages" comment. And while it's certainly true that UPS drivers work harder in most cases, Fred definitely gets his money's worth from most of us. While volumes are way down, management continues to collapse routes so productivity is actually rising at FedEx Express. Ground will go union before Express because they're not restricted by the RLA like we are. UPS would obviously benefit because the competitive advantage of Ground's ultra low-cost structure would evaporate.....level playing field.

i was talking about ups freight drivers here mr.fedex.

filthpig

I don't make over 250,000 dollars a year. So he won't be touching my money.
Okay, so you actually BELIEVE that he won't tax the middle class? If you believe Obama won't raise you taxes, then I'll tell you some of my best friends are jewish and I'll only put the tip in. You'll obviously believe anything.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
Even small companies that do not have the entitlements are facing the high cost of employees. I don't know what the % of payroll is the total expense but it is normally the highest. People can't work for nothing for very long. Even with UPS having the best compensated employees in the industry, the company is making profits in the multi-millions yearly.

What part of, "FedEx ground employee's do not have "entitlements". " do you not comprehend? With unionization they would have insurance that helps control the cost of Living. I have talked with several FE ground guys that are unhappy with their jobs and their income, but say they can't do anything about it because they owe too much to the company store. And all this misery with out one little bit of input from me.

And you are right, life isn't fair. If it were I would have a full head of hair.

I greatly appreciate the way you debate - I appreciate that you have not gone to the "Oh yeah, well you suck" mode that many here do.

Here is the rub - I agree with everything you say - we just have different views on what it means.

Couple of things I just scratch my head at, however, wondering if we are on the same subject;

".. People can't work for nothing for very long..." ??? UPS drivers and FedEx drivers are working for far more than "nothing"

"...What part of, "FedEx ground employee's do not have "entitlements". " do you not comprehend?..." ??? I understand that they don't, as sub-contractors.

As a UPS employee, why do you feel they are entitled to, uh, entitlements? (Caution - I'm setting you up)

705red

Browncafe Steward
I greatly appreciate the way you debate - I appreciate that you have not gone to the "Oh yeah, well you suck" mode that many here do.

Here is the rub - I agree with everything you say - we just have different views on what it means.

Couple of things I just scratch my head at, however, wondering if we are on the same subject;

".. People can't work for nothing for very long..." ??? UPS drivers and FedEx drivers are working for far more than "nothing"

"...What part of, "FedEx ground employee's do not have "entitlements". " do you not comprehend?..." ??? I understand that they don't, as sub-contractors.

As a UPS employee, why do you feel they are entitled to, uh, entitlements? (Caution - I'm setting you up)
Just wondering if you have applied for some fed ex "entitlements"?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
who said anything about leveling the playing field? if fedex gets unionized, then ups picks up business because they won't be able to be competitive.

Exactly my point. A lot of shippers don't like FedEx Ground, but they use them because they are cheap. "Leveling the playing field" is exactly why UPS has been lobbying so hard for both the "card check" bill and the elimination of the RLA classification for FedEx Express. UPS would pick-up additional business in both arenas because the FedEx cost structure would rise substantially. While I don't like to see the competition gain some of our freight, I also think the time has come to fight for a union. Unfortunately, the economic downturn is going to make selling the Teamsters to FedEx employees more difficult because they know that there would be layoffs, and management will surely play-up that angle in their anti-union rhetoric. In a strong economy, it would be far harder for Smith to eliminate workers. It's going to be very interesting watching what happens during the next 6 months.

"If we run into such (government) debts, as that we must be taxed in our meat and in our drink, in our necessaries and our comforts, in our labor and our amusements, for our callings and our creeds, as the people of England are, our people, like them, must come to labor sixteen hours in the twenty-four, give the earnings of fifteen of these to the government for their debts and daily expenses; and the sixteeth being insufficient to afford us bread, we must live, as they now do, on oatmeal and potatoes; have no time to think, no means of calling the mismanagers to account; but to obtain subsistence by hiring ourselves to rivet their chains on the necks of our fellow sufferers." Thomas Jefferson 1816