Obamacare,Cadillac plan,2018..

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
For now. There's already talks of bailouts coming for insurance companies. Why do you think premiums are doubling and tripling right out of the gate? Only way to meet their costs. It's only going to get worse.

Think about logic for a second. When you mandate that an insurance company start covering pre-existing conditions it renders the "insurance" company a welfare handout entity. It's no longer insurance.

If you ran a car insurance company and the government came in and mandated that you now have to allow customers to sign up after pre-existing damage to their automobiles, what would that mean to your business? Customers could drive around without insurance until they get into an accident and significantly injures a family. Now after the fact, they can go shopping for insurance and the company now has to pay out huge sums as a result of those injuries. How long could you run your company for?
Not long, unless you forced people that didn't drive to buy auto insurance and imposed extra taxes on drivers with good insurance to help keep the system afloat.

JL 0513

My local covers my insurance, not UPS. She was dropped when she turned 26.

Perhaps you mean your local arranges your plan. UPS pays for everything. Unions don't pay for anything. They just collect our money and go to bat for us once and a while. ALL of our benefits come from UPS.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Perhaps you mean your local arranges your plan. UPS pays for everything. Unions don't pay for anything. They just collect our money and go to bat for us once and a while. ALL of our benefits come from UPS.

Correction. We pay for our benefits through our hard work. UPS simply pays us what has been agreed upon.

Where do you think UPS's money comes from? Their savings account?

JL 0513

Correction. We pay for our benefits through our hard work. UPS simply pays us what has been agreed upon.

Where do you think UPS's money comes from? Their savings account?

You know what I mean. Of course we EARN our benefits. Yes we generate UPS's revenue but customers don't pay us directly last time I checked.

Point is, UPS writes our checks, and they pay our health premiums and contribute to our pensions. I wonder how many people actually think the union provides our benefits.

Rainman

Its all good.
Bankrupt insurance companies? You haven't been paying attention, bud. Obamacare is the biggest insurance handout in US history.

Just as Bush's Prescription Pill Medicare bill was.

The insurance companies are driving the car, man.

You're losing the shell game, bro.
Someone has to pay the bill in the end. Massive tax hikes paid by us, the working middle class. The rich will find loopholes, as will large corporations. The poor can't/won't pay. That just leaves us. I wish it was just a shell game, but it looks like we are going to get royally screwed. And if the nation is going to be solely under Obamacare, then how can the insurance companies stay in business without customers?

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
The misinformation and blatant partisanship in this thread sadly is unsurprising at this point....

I'm just gonna respond to the OP.... the "cadillac" tax threshold is $10,200 for individuals, and $27,500 for families. If you check your W2 from last year you'll see the cost of your health care was below that. Even if it was above the limit, the 40% tax is only on the amount you went over that threshold, not the entire cost of your health insurance.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Agreed. Just saying the rules are decided by the plan Im in, not by UPS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am also in a Union healthplan. UPS pays a set hourly amount to the Union who in turn shop around for the best deal----in our case, BC/BS administers our plan and the Union pays the bills.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The misinformation and blatant partisanship in this thread sadly is unsurprising at this point....

I'm just gonna respond to the OP.... the "cadillac" tax threshold is $10,200 for individuals, and $27,500 for families. If you check your W2 from last year you'll see the cost of your health care was below that. Even if it was above the limit, the 40% tax is only on the amount you went over that threshold, not the entire cost of your health insurance.

What I and others worry about is cost creeping up to the point where, that the tax kicks in. This whole plan is driving costs up. It is not a stretch to see this tax kick in either. I think a 30 to 40 percent increase should do it. Over a few years, that is easy to do.

JL 0513

The Union does provide our benefits using funds UPS is contractually obligated to pay to the Union on our behalf.

Yes, but UPS still pays the bills. The Union may set it up and run it but I'm talking about where the money comes from.

Just like there's some people who actually believe their welfare checks originate from "government money" and is therefore free money. Not realizing they're taking from their neighbors. The government runs it and writes the checks but not $1 of it is theirs.

We are to government as UPS is to the union in this situation.

Don't give the union too much credit. They take an enormous amount of money that isn't fully justified. How much of it goes to political purposes even against the will of those of us who don't believe in those politics?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Money designated for the H&W funds can only be used for those purposes.

I do give our union local credit for their use of our healthcare funds----we have an 18 month surplus in that fund.