Obamacare socks Union Health Plans with 40% tax

bogeyball

Complain and moan. At least you know who will be your Health Care provider unlike other working Americans who are starting to fear what their employer will do at annual enrollment.

Remember this is the Affordable Care act.

Key word is Affordable.

You are kidding, right?

The act has nothing to do with the affordability, and most assuredly has nothing to do about care.
It is control they seek....

Atomic_Smurf

Complain and moan. At least you know who will be your Health Care provider unlike other working Americans who are starting to fear what their employer will do at annual enrollment.

Remember this is the Affordable Care act.

Key word is Affordable.

You are kidding, right?

The act has nothing to do with the affordability, and most assuredly has nothing to do about care.
It is control they seek....
when does the affordable part kick in? Obama said premiums would come down $2500 dollars but since its passage they are up $3000.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
when does the affordable part kick in? Obama said premiums would come down $2500 dollars but since its passage they are up $3000.

I think the affordable part is for people who did not have insurance before and may have it now.
And it has not kicked in yet.
​Let's see in 5 years.

brown_trousers

Re: Obamacare socks union helath plans with 40% tax

It very well may. It isn't fully implemented. I don't know how folks attribute increases that have been going on for decades to something not yet up and running.

I dont think healthcare was rising quite that fast. If the above healthcare tax is actually true, then our healthcare costs as a UPS employee will have increased 100 fold in just a few short years. I dont think healthcare costs were rising THAT fast without obamacare!

Atomic_Smurf

I think the affordable part is for people who did not have insurance before and may have it now.
And it has not kicked in yet.
​Let's see in 5 years.
That's not how it was sold to those that bought it. It was supposed to make healthcare more affordable for everyone. I guess telling the truth wouldn't have gained much support. Also, being able to opt out of buying a product controls inflation. The individual mandate removes that pressure valve. The "free riders" will still be free riders but with a sense of entitlement. So the part that hasnt kicked in is just as predictable a failure as what already kicked in was.

Atomic_Smurf

Amazing that our union leadership enthusiastically supported this law with a $27.5k threshold on family plans. It since has been raised but still caps our bennies. Imagine our union agreeing to cap our pay 20 yrs ago & we were reaching that cap now. That's what this law does not only for our future healthcare plans, but for our current to keep them as far away from the 40% tax as possible. It's just one of the 21 new Obamacare taxes that are pushing working class Americans out of their employer health plans.

This is yet another example of people not getting the the full story on how something is or works and then interperting and speculating it into some big scarey dooms day scernario that is not even close to reality.

1st it is stated that we will be taxed 40% without knowing how it works or if it is true.

2nd someone posts a threshold amount without even knowing or explaining what that means.

3rd a formula is posted which produces a number which may or may not be correct.

4th since the number above does not sound too unreasonable, another calculation is done jacking the numbers way up, again may or may not be correct

5th then a post demonstrating that it is possible that it will have no affect at all, all current information being considered.

6th there is no point even saying "IMAGINE IF" the union 20 years ago would have accepted a wage cap...........because they didn't!!!! again a statement to just make your post a little more scarey.

I have rambled on far enough, the point being........ lets try and deal in facts and leave the fantasies and speculation out of it. There is so much misinformation about this whole process in circulation many people will end up throwing their hands in the air and their ballots in the trash because they won't be able to make an informed decision.
that's a lot of not knowing anything about anything packed into one post. You meet the basic qualifications to work in our presidents inner circle.

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
Honest question...I am a retiree whose healthcare is pretty much non existent at Medicare age. My question is, why should benefits be tax free? If you are given X amount of benefits/month, shouldn't they be taxable?

Inthegame

I have rambled on far enough, the point being........ lets try and deal in facts and leave the fantasies and speculation out of it. There is so much misinformation about this whole process in circulation many people will end up throwing their hands in the air and their ballots in the trash because they won't be able to make an informed decision.

So now you want to shut down FOXNews?

bbsam

Staff member
Honest question...I am a retiree whose healthcare is pretty much non existent at Medicare age. My question is, why should benefits be tax free? If you are given X amount of benefits/month, shouldn't they be taxable?

Of course it should be, but nobody wants that. It's kind of hard not to see that "compensation" not taxed at all and complain that billionaires only pay a relatively small percentage in tax on their "compensation". Kind of like the mortgage tax deduction. There is no real rationale for it, but it is wildly popular. Some day we will need a new and intelligent tax code. For now, it's tax by popular demand. And yes, you may vote early and often with your political contributions.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have no problem paying tax on that portion of my healthcare benefits which exceed the threshold.

Atomic_Smurf

Tax free benefits is a way of incentivising employers to provide health insurance to their employees. Democrats are sure fixing that problem.

Last edited: