Obamacare

Goldilocks

Oh, stop. Fedex has never taken care of us in Ground and we are ridiculously profitable. Fred has to be looking at Express and ask, "What have you done for mee lately." It's one of thr freedoms at Ground: nothing promised, nothing stolen.

Agree, thats why I dont work for Ground...

thedownhillEXPRESS

What are you paying for insurance now for a family? Is it something like $1000 per family member deductible and $300 a month? And that doesn't count the percentages the insurance doesn't cover for procedures? To me it seems that 300*12=$3600 and in your scenario $4200 is the max, for that extra $600 you have no deductibles and you are covered 100% on all visits and operations. Is that correct? To be honest, that would be a lot cheaper for the person making 45K with a family, a lot.

Again, the subsidy goes up with more family members.
I was using the example of one person and their subsidy (for Vans case)..
A family of 4 would qualify for a subsidy if income did not exceed 89,400....

vantexan

What are you paying for insurance now for a family? Is it something like $1000 per family member deductible and $300 a month? And that doesn't count the percentages the insurance doesn't cover for procedures? To me it seems that 300*12=$3600 and in your scenario $4200 is the max, for that extra $600 you have no deductibles and you are covered 100% on all visits and operations. Is that correct? To be honest, that would be a lot cheaper for the person making 45K with a family, a lot.

No, I'm single, have the $1000 deductible with no monthly premium, except for dental and vision which are minimal. If I make $36K with less hrs and I'll have to shell out $4200 hundred a year it will effectively end my employment. By law I have to be under doctor's care so I'll have to have insurance, not just pay a penalty.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Of course most of us don't want to lose our insurance, but if Fedex wanted to get rid of our insurance they could have done it at any time, Obamacare will only cost them MORE money if they decide to do that, thanks to the Obamacare penalty they would have to pay...

LOL!! Fred wants Express employees to have insurance and he has paid to make sure that we have insurance. Under Obamacare, he can cut off health insurance, direct us to the alternatives that are enumerated in the law, pay the penalty that's cheaper than paying for our insurance, and pocket the difference. I'm not saying that will happen, but my God, if you think that doing so would cost him MORE money, you're smoking crack laced with D-Con.

vantexan

Yeah but its still going to be capped at a fixed % for your cost.
Companies can drop insurance NOW without any penalty.
Obamacare will only punish them for doing it in the future.

Doesn't help me either way. The only affordable option I have is that FedEx decides to keep their coverage. This is a physical job and people get hurt. They may find it hard to keep people if they don't offer a plan. Or even find enough people willing to risk injury for as little as they're paying with no coverage. They may just keeping shifting more each year on the employees which will still be better than getting my own.

TUT

No, I'm single, have the $1000 deductible with no monthly premium, except for dental and vision which are minimal. If I make $36K with less hrs and I'll have to shell out $4200 hundred a year it will effectively end my employment. By law I have to be under doctor's care so I'll have to have insurance, not just pay a penalty.

You don't have money coming out of your check monthly to cover insurance? Well that's pretty good. Who was saying Fedex Medical isn't that special? Even though around $100 is or so is typical for an individual.

vantexan

Oh, stop. Fedex has never taken care of us in Ground and we are ridiculously profitable. Fred has to be looking at Express and ask, "What have you done for mee lately." It's one of thr freedoms at Ground: nothing promised, nothing stolen.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose..."

thedownhillEXPRESS

LOL!! Fred wants Express employees to have insurance and he has paid to make sure that we have insurance. Under Obamacare, he can cut off health insurance, direct us to the alternatives that are enumerated in the law, pay the penalty that's cheaper than paying for our insurance, and pocket the difference. I'm not saying that will happen, but my God, if you think that doing so would cost him MORE money, you're smoking crack laced with D-Con.

It will cost him MORE money to DROP coverage than it would now.

Of course it would still be cheaper than offering insurance, but so would it pre Obamacare.

vantexan

You don't have money coming out of your check monthly to cover insurance? Well that's pretty good. Who was saying Fedex Medical isn't that special? Even though around $100 is or so is typical for an individual.

I shell out about $115 a month for meds so I rolled the dice and went with the cheaper coverage. Anything major happens I'm on the hook for a lot more. UPS gives 100% coverage to it's employees AND their families. You'd think that FedEx could at least cover an employee 100% like they used to, no matter the higher costs. But I'll take what I can get.

vantexan

Of course it would still be cheaper than offering insurance, but so would it pre Obamacare.

But it'll still cost the company less if they drop coverage under Obamacare and just pay the penalty. Doesn't matter that it'll still cost them more to drop coverage then compared to now because NOW won't be a factor. It's just keep coverage pay more or drop coverage pay less.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

You're missing the point. He doesn't want Express employees to go without insurance. There has never been an issue with him dropping it. It has not been an option.

Obamacare theoretically provides alternative comparable insurance coverage, thus making it profitable for FedEx to drop it. In short, it encourages the company to eliminate a benefit that we would keep in the absence of the law.

STFXG

A company the size of express will not save money by dropping insurance benefits and paying the yearly penalty. Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

vantexan

A company the size of express will not save money by dropping insurance benefits and paying the yearly penalty. Where do you guys come up with this stuff?

If it costs them more per employee to offer insurance than to pay the penalty per employee then yes it will save them money. When Fred said they'll be looking at Obamacare's costs what do you think he meant? That they have nothing better to do so thought for fun let's crunch numbers to see how costs compare?

TUT

I shell out about $115 a month for meds so I rolled the dice and went with the cheaper coverage. Anything major happens I'm on the hook for a lot more. UPS gives 100% coverage to it's employees AND their families. You'd think that FedEx could at least cover an employee 100% like they used to, no matter the higher costs. But I'll take what I can get.

I guess what I'm hearing is Fedex is the minor leagues to UPS. So there is your career path for an Fedex employee.