Obamacare

vantexan

And why shouldn't it be on the individual? For a long time it seems people have expected businesses to pay that. Why?

When there was a shortage of workers during WWII companies started offering healthcare to attract workers and other companies followed suit to stay competitive. It became an expected perk of employment. Unions got it written into their contracts. Other companies carried it and other benefits to keep unions out. Now we'll just walk out into the wilderness to die so that we won't be a burden...the old ways were truly best, right?

TUT

They can drop it because Obamacare will either cover those who are too poor to buy insurance or force individuals who can afford it to get it on their own or pay a penalty. Corporations were offering it to stay competitive for workers but now they can all just put the responsibility on the employee.

Why wouldn't they keep it to stay competitive then? I would assume the employee would still prefer the company helping out, so A vs B and one has health the other doesn't, advantage the one that does. That has always been in play.

If Fedex feels they don't need to offer it to stay competitive then that is what the market is bearing (boo) and we could possibly get to that point new health plan or not. It is so much speculation at this point. What will the individuals costs be? What kind of coverage? So many questions, so few answers. I'm siding on there will not be this massive cesspool of worsened health care, otherwise it will be changed. They are trying to improve it, seriously they are, they want to get everyone covered, that is a good thing. They want people that can't get it if they need it, to have access again to get it, another good thing. But then some feel there is this devious plan to really "getcha". I don't feel that is the spirit of this at all.

vantexan

Market. That is what you get when you have very low unemployment, you have companies competing for your services and they give you incentives, like a wage. Why should a company offer more then min wage? Health should be at the gov't to be honest, everyone else has this figured out but us. Your citizens should be covered, we are talking lives here.

Those evil capitalists...

bbsam

Staff member
When there was a shortage of workers during WWII companies started offering healthcare to attract workers and other companies followed suit to stay competitive. It became an expected perk of employment. Unions got it written into their contracts. Other companies carried it and other benefits to keep unions out. Now we'll just walk out into the wilderness to die so that we won't be a burden...the old ways were truly best, right?
Those evil capitalists.... Van, you really are conflicted, aren't you?

vantexan

Why wouldn't they keep it to stay competitive then? I would assume the employee would still prefer the company helping out, so A vs B and one has health the other doesn't, advantage the one that does. That has always been in play.

If Fedex feels they don't need to offer it to stay competitive then that is what the market is bearing (boo) and we could possibly get to that point new health plan or not. It is so much speculation at this point. What will the individuals costs be? What kind of coverage? So many questions, so few answers. I'm siding on there will not be this massive cesspool of worsened health care, otherwise it will be changed. They are trying to improve it, seriously they are, they want to get everyone covered, that is a good thing. They want people that can't get it if they need it, to have access again to get it, another good thing. But then some feel there is this devious plan to really "getcha". I don't feel that is the spirit of this at all.

You're reading too much into it. Healthcare costs go up constantly, faster than inflation. If companies are given a choice of paying through the nose keeping healthcare, or paying penalties that costs them less and let the gov't system take care of the employees, which do you think they're going to do? And Obamacare was crafted to encourage them to do just that. A single payer system is the goal.

vantexan

Just trying to figure you out, van.

It's not hard. We're on the edge of a fiscal cliff which way too many are in denial about. I know for a fact Obama will drive us over the edge and I believe Romney and Ryan will pull us away from it. Doesn't do much good to hold to ideas you believe in if they'll ruin you. And I've spent decades watching Democrats uphold noble ideas while not implementing them or pouring vast amounts of money into them without results.

bbsam

Staff member
It's not hard. We're on the edge of a fiscal cliff which way too many are in denial about. I know for a fact Obama will drive us over the edge and I believe Romney and Ryan will pull us away from it. Doesn't do much good to hold to ideas you believe in if they'll ruin you. And I've spent decades watching Democrats uphold noble ideas while not implementing them or pouring vast amounts of money into them without results.
The only reason there is a fiscal cliff is because we haven't paid our bills for 15 years. Spending cuts and tax increases should rectify the situation, but it's only fair to do both.

TUT

It's not hard. We're on the edge of a fiscal cliff

Well we fell off it some already... But face it most of our lives we've been living on this edge. Remember Reaganomics? It was thought that we were partying then to pay for it harshly in the future and we waited and waited. Perhaps that time is now, but no one party helped or hurt it more, its been through so many hands now. If it were to happen it would be almost like inevitable.

I believe Romney and Ryan will further reduce wages and perks. Yes they may create jobs, but ****tier one's. Very few talk about that, how people lost good jobs and settled for two min wage jobs. That sucks and blows. Going back to how we go health care, that is why unions are still very important to many americans even indirectly, they make a scale for the rest of us, wage and perks. IMO they want what the Chinese have, from my youth we should never have been competing, giving and sharing with them in the first place. That is the day the music died. The best news is if it ever go that bad, we'll wake up.

vantexan

The only reason there is a fiscal cliff is because we haven't paid our bills for 15 years. Spending cuts and tax increases should rectify the situation, but it's only fair to do both.

Again, in denial. Bush spent plenty, but no other president has come close to these levels, even after adjusting for inflation. 5 trillion in less than 4 years.

vantexan

Well we fell off it some already... But face it most of our lives we've been living on this edge. Remember Reaganomics? It was thought that we were partying then to pay for it harshly in the future and we waited and waited. Perhaps that time is now, but no one party helped or hurt it more, its been through so many hands now. If it were to happen it would be almost like inevitable.

I believe Romney and Ryan will further reduce wages and perks. Yes they may create jobs, but ****tier one's. Very few talk about that, how people lost good jobs and settled for two min wage jobs. That sucks and blows. Going back to how we go health care, that is why unions are still very important to many americans even indirectly, they make a scale for the rest of us, wage and perks. IMO they want what the Chinese have, from my youth we should never have been competing, giving and sharing with them in the first place. That is the day the music died. The best news is if it ever go that bad, we'll wake up.

I remember Reaganomics. He was handed a horrible economy from Carter and turned it around. Good jobs and more peacetime jobs created than any other President. Times were good and he got reelected in a landslide.

You are right in that both parties created this quagmire. But right now is where we live and right now we have a president who believes he can spend us to prosperity. Not so.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Actually, during WWII the government imposed a freeze on wages and companies offered health insurance as a way to work around the wage freeze.

/minor point of clarification
//6 of 1, a half dozen of the other

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I remember Reaganomics. He was handed a horrible economy from Carter and turned it around. Good jobs and more peacetime jobs created than any other President. Times were good and he got reelected in a landslide.

You are right in that both parties created this quagmire. But right now is where we live and right now we have a president who believes he can spend us to prosperity. Not so.

Oh again with the Reaganomics...tax cuts aimed at the rich, manufacturers leaving the US in droves, deficits exploding....love how you rewrite history. If you honestly believe that Romney/Ryan would have dug us out of the whole caused by free market conservative principles of the last 40 years, well I don't know what to say to you. NO PRESIDENT, Democratic or Republican could have dug out of the hole set for any president taking office in 2008. Part of me wishes McCain/ Palin would have won because I think it would have destroyed the Republican party for a 100 years.

But yeah, try arguing that, or any other logic with the wing nuts. I have would have better luck coaxing a groundhog out of a hole in the early winter...

vantexan

Oh again with the Reaganomics...tax cuts aimed at the rich, manufacturers leaving the US in droves, deficits exploding....love how you rewrite history. If you honestly believe that Romney/Ryan would have dug us out of the whole caused by free market conservative principles of the last 40 years, well I don't know what to say to you. NO PRESIDENT, Democratic or Republican could have dug out of the hole set for any president taking office in 2008. Part of me wishes McCain/ Palin would have won because I think it would have destroyed the Republican party for a 100 years.

But yeah, try arguing that, or any other logic with the wing nuts. I have would have better luck coaxing a groundhog out of a hole in the early winter...

Deny it all you want, Reagan won extremely big in '84. A lot of Reagan Democrats back then. And I agree Obama came in with a huge hole to fill. He should have concentrated on creating jobs and reducing the deficit. If successful he would be easily reelected and would have a mandate to tackle healthcare reform. He certainly had to spend some money but he blew threw $5 Trillion and debt is projected to rise to $20 Trillion from current $16 Trillion by 2016 based on current spending according to the CBO.

vantexan

P.S. Reagan had to work with a Democrat Congress. And businesses left in droves because of the high taxes imposed by those Democrats to pay for the big social welfare programs back then. Sound familiar?