Obamacare

moreluck

golden ticket member
SchhaBZ.jpg

bbsam

Staff member
Well this is strange. Kept hearing how premiums would be going up for 2017 by 30% or more. Found BC/BS $200/month less than United Healthcare in 2016. So still no payments to the government for my insurance and still rates going down. Strange.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Aetna Is Latest Health Insurer to Quit Obamacare Markets

Aetna Inc. will leave the few remaining states where it had been selling Obamacare plans next year, making it the latest health insurer to pull out of the health law as Republicans attack the program as failing and work to dismantle it.

While the move is likely to attract outsize political attention, the decision affects just Delaware and Nebraska. The Hartford, Connecticut-based insurer already said last year it would pull out of 11 states, and in the last month announced plans to exit Iowa and Virginia.

“At this time have completely exited the exchanges,” Aetna said in a statement Wednesday. The insurer will also stop selling non-Obamacare individual plans in Delaware and Nebraska.

Aetna had indicated it might pull out earlier this month, when Chief Financial Officer Shawn Guertin said the company would take steps to limit its financial losses in the program. Aetna has said it expects to lose more than $200 million on individual health plans this year in the four states where it’s still selling Affordable Care Act plans.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
19th Obamacare Co-Op Folds, Leaving Only 4 Operating in 2018 - Washington Free Beacon
'Unfortunately, the program has not worked as intended'
Minuteman Health was awarded $156.4 million in taxpayer-funded loans

Minuteman Health of Massachusetts and New Hampshire announced it is withdrawing from the Affordable Care Act exchanges in 2018, leaving only four co-ops in operation. The co-op will stop writing business on January 1 and organize a new company, Minuteman Insurance Company, instead.

The company cited issues with Obamacare’s risk-adjustment program, which is the program that shifts money away from those with healthier customers to those with sicker enrollees. Minuteman Health said that the negative impact of this program had been “substantial.”

“Unfortunately, the program has not worked as intended,” the company said. “It has been difficult for insurers to predict their risk-adjustment obligations, which has led some to withdraw from the ACA market.”

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I challenge you to show that the exact same thing was not happening (even faster) before Obamacare. Fact is we will either fix Obamacare or we will get to single payer. There is no going back.
Meh. Don't feel like it. All I know is that since Obamacare, I pay a lot more for insurance and deductibles as well as many of my friends and family.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I challenge you to show that the exact same thing was not happening (even faster) before Obamacare. Fact is we will either fix Obamacare or we will get to single payer. There is no going back.
Rather than overhauling the insurance industry in the first place, they should have concentrated on improving Medicaid.

bbsam

Staff member
Meh. Don't feel like it. All I know is that since Obamacare, I pay a lot more for insurance and deductibles as well as many of my friends and family.
Lol. Ok then. Just remember "The good ol' days weren't always good, tomorrow's not as bad as it seems."

Btw, your increased pay could have more to do with Fred S using O'care as a cover. Nah. He'd never do THAT!

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Lol. Ok then. Just remember "The good ol' days weren't always good, tomorrow's not as bad as it seems."

Btw, your increased pay could have more to do with Fred S using O'care as a cover. Nah. He'd never do THAT!
Oh, I'm sure that's EXACTLY what he did. I stopped being fooled by the purdy words many years ago. Lol.

bbsam

Staff member
Rather than overhauling the insurance industry in the first place, they should have concentrated on improving Medicaid.
The whole idea that insurance companies (whose reason for being is to turn very large profits) should be in the mix where people's health and very lives hang in the balance is obscene to begin with.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
The whole idea that insurance companies (whose reason for being is to turn very large profits) should be in the mix where people's health and very lives hang in the balance is obscene to begin with.
I know. And they prove that every time they deny procedures recommended by qualified physicians.

It will be fine

There's 2 factual errors in this article.
1. It says childless couples need to purchase pediatric dental coverage. That's not true, you add in the dental coverage for your children when selecting a plan, it isn't part of your base coverage.

2. It lists costs for a market priced plan bought outside of the exchanges as too high priced. If you don't buy through the exchange you don't get the subsidies that bring the premium down. It's intentionally misleading the actual costs to middle class people.