Obamacare's effect on Teamsters 2013 contract

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Evenly split also means it's completely false to say "most people do want ObamaCare."

I don't disagree with that. But the platform promoting ObamaCare was decisively reelected. And polling shows that people that tend to be more informed about ObamaCare tend to support it in larger numbers. Reality is that only a small number of people are aware of what the bill is, what it does, what it costs, etc.

The blind sheep followed the liberal smell!

Aww... poor thing, having to live in the south....

thedownhillEXPRESS

The blind sheep followed the liberal smell!

I meant your news and polling sources were quite idiotic and very misinformed(Dick Morris, Karl Rove, 100 other Fox News personalities) and republicans fell hard for it.

My news sources were correct, thats reality, step into it more often then once every 4 years after you take a drubbing.

Atomic_Smurf

Do you have any evidence to support that ObamaCare is the reason UPS is asking its rank-and-file to pay toward their heath care?

Consider:
- Nationally, on average, health care premiums have soared over the past 30 years; since 2001, they have nearly doubled.
- UPS's work force, both management and hourly, is rapidly aging.
- FedEx Ground, UPS's largest competitor, pays NOTHING toward health care for its workforce. FedEx Ground's volume continues to rapidly grow while UPS's is more-or-less stagnant.
- UPS is a publicly traded company that has to respond to its shareholders.

The reality is that even without ObamaCare, UPS would still be asking us to pay toward health care. Don't like it? Stop voting, for example, for right-wing politicians who rule that FedEx Ground's business practices are legal.

Obamacare was sold to the people on the premise that it would solve the nations healthcare problems. Not exacerbate them. yet since it's passage the costs & consequences have continued to compound. You guys can point the finger elsewhere but if this were happening after a republican had forced through healthcare legislation, our union bosses would be loading busses to take to Washington D.C. to march around the capital & yell profanities. Obamacare mandates that kids can stay on their parents plan until they are 26, ends cost containment measures like lifetime caps & removes an important pressure valve by forcing people to purchase insurance. You can argue the merits of these changes but they in no way help to keep costs low. Add that to the increased taxes & the other 2,300+ pages of legislation & we have a real mess to deal with. It only begins to make sense when you understand that there are now more people riding in the wagon than there are pulling the wagon, & they vote. Obamacare wasn't designed to help working class people afford insurance. It penalizes employers that provide it, forces others to buy it & the only people that get it for free are already living off our taxes. You can deny it till we are all on the government plan which according to Obama will take a decade, or 15 or 20 years.
SHOCK UNCOVERED HIS OWN WORDS Obama says His Health Care Plan will ELIMINATE private insurance - YouTube

Last edited:

thedownhillEXPRESS

Obamacare was sold to the people on the premise that it would solve the nations healthcare problems. Not exacerbate them. yet since it's passage the costs & consequences have continued to compound. You guys can point the finger elsewhere but if this were happening after a republican had forced through healthcare legislation, our union bosses would be loading busses to take to Washington D.C. to march around the capital & yell profanities. Obamacare mandates that kids can stay on their parents plan until they are 26, ends cost containment measures like lifetime caps & removes an important pressure valve by forcing people to purchase insurance. You can argue the merits of these changes but they in no way help to keep costs low. Add that to the increased taxes & the other 2,300+ pages of legislation & we have a real mess to deal with. It only begins to make sense when you understand that there are now more people riding in the wagon than there are pulling the wagon, & they vote. Obamacare wasn't designed to help working class people afford insurance. It penalizes employers that provide it, forces others to buy it & the only people that get it for free are already living off our taxes. You can deny it till we are all on the government plan which according to Obama will take a decade, or 15 or 20 years.
SHOCK UNCOVERED HIS OWN WORDS Obama says His Health Care Plan will ELIMINATE private insurance - YouTube

Again all false and unsubstantiated claims.

How come I didn't read anything about hall blaming Obamacare from today's conference call?

Weren't you guys saying he said this in the past?(like yesterday)

He actually offered to take over the Healthcare from UPS as I read it..............

Atomic_Smurf

And polls show they do once they know the facts and not the distorted right wing jibber jabbish out there.

Pollster- Do you like this?

Respondent-why yes, that sounds excellent.

Pollster-you know that is a key provision of Obamacare right?

Respondent-silence.....................click.....

Pollster- Do you want free stuff?

Respondent- Why yes I would love some free stuff

Pollster- Do you know that Obamacare provides free stuff?

Respondent- Oh, so you mean working class people will pay half the bill & future generations will be stuck paying the rest?

Pollster-Silence............Click*

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There is no health care "crisis" in America and even if there was the government is the worst place to look for answers. Not to mention the fact that it's not the government's place. The crisis is that we have a plague of uninformed and downright idiotic of voters representing the democrat party.

My ex-wife is a RN who works in the ER----she would be the first to tell you that there most certainly is a health care crisis in America.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Pollster- Do you want free stuff?

Respondent- Why yes I would love some free stuff

Pollster- Do you know that Obamacare provides free stuff?

Respondent- Oh, so you mean working class people will pay half the bill & future generations will be stuck paying the rest?

Pollster-Silence............Click*

Yeah because that wasn't proven to just be another race baiting tactic............

Original thought- something missing from republican minds for 10 years

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Obamacare was sold to the people on the premise that it would solve the nations healthcare problems. Not exacerbate them. yet since it's passage the costs & consequences have continued to compound. You guys can point the finger elsewhere but if this were happening after a republican had forced through healthcare legislation, our union bosses would be loading busses to take to Washington D.C. to march around the capital & yell profanities. Obamacare mandates that kids can stay on their parents plan until they are 26, ends cost containment measures like lifetime caps & removes an important pressure valve by forcing people to purchase insurance. You can argue the merits of these changes but they in no way help to keep costs low. Add that to the increased taxes & the other 2,300+ pages of legislation & we have a real mess to deal with. It only begins to make sense when you understand that there are now more people riding in the wagon than there are pulling the wagon, & they vote. Obamacare wasn't designed to help working class people afford insurance. It penalizes employers that provide it, forces others to buy it & the only people that get it for free are already living off our taxes. You can deny it till we are all on the government plan which according to Obama will take a decade, or 15 or 20 years. (removed video link)

This posting may have set the record for most misnomers ever in a single posting on BrownCafe...

Your UPS-provided insurance isn't free. When somebody without insurance, or who is under insured seeks medical care, but cannot afford to pay for it... it isn't free, either. Those costs are spread around, which ultimiately leads to people/employers paying more and/or an increase in un/underinsured. It's just one giant snowball. The hope is that the costs of ObamaCare will be less than those costs, which will stabilize the system. Supporters on each side have calculated numbers in their favor, but we won't know until the law takes effect.

See what hall has to say here about Obamacare. Enjoy.

Some Unions Grow Wary of Health Law They Backed - WSJ.com

LOL, hall didn't say anything negative about ObamaCare. Did you bother to read the contents/context of the article you linked to?

Atomic_Smurf

This posting may have set the record for most misnomers ever in a single posting on BrownCafe...

Your UPS-provided insurance isn't free. When somebody without insurance, or who is under insured seeks medical care, but cannot afford to pay for it... it isn't free, either. Those costs are spread around, which ultimately leads to people/employers paying more and/or an increase in un/underinsured. It's just one giant snowball. The hope is that the costs of ObamaCare will be less than those costs, which will stabilize the system. Supporters on each side have calculated numbers in their favor, but we won't know until the law takes effect.

LOL, hall didn't say anything negative about ObamaCare. Did you bother to read the contents/context of the article you linked to?

hall isn't going to continue to remind people of what enthusiastic supporters the Teamsters were just a few years ago if he can avoid it. Teamster reps are in damage control. He is no doubt dealing with the consequences of that decision though. He's claiming that some of the provisions are driving up costs & are going to make unions less competitive. He's asking the White House for subsidies to help pay for the Unions contribution in cases where the union pays half the tab. (Mostly carpenters, laborers & others that work out of a union hall). In our case however, UPS picks up the entire increase in costs. If hall says that Obamacare is driving up the unions health care costs in situations where they are paying half, does it not stand to reason that Obamacare is driving up costs where the company is concerned as well? Probably not to many of you on here. Like most libs, choosing to believe what they would prefer to be true. Doesn't even sound like you read it.

Last edited:

Atomic_Smurf

What do you guys think about the video I posted of Obama talking about getting rid of employer plans over time? Maybe it's easier to look away.

kingOFchester

What do you guys think about the video I posted of Obama talking about getting rid of employer plans over time? Maybe it's easier to look away.

I try not to think about Obama'hole. Actually, in fairness to the almighty messiah, I don't listen much to any of the left or right wingers. For every time they say it is white, they will then say it is black. "Read my lips" is another doozy!

Griff

Why are you fighting with this guy over this Obama crap? Look at his join date.

He's a worthless troll trying to push company propaganda and nothing more.

If Romney would of won the election, UPS would have come to the table with the exact same proposals and anyone who thinks otherwise is completely delusional. UPS has proved since the 2009 debacle (the official bending over of main street) that they are on a mission to bring this company up to speed with all the other greedy fortune 100 companies. They have promised to vastly accelerate top executive pay, which they have done. They have promised to come out of the recession leaner and a stronger company. Phase one of this part of the plan is complete because they have beaten lower management over the head with the bat and straight robbed them. Phase two will be this contract negotiation, in which they plan to do the exact same thing.

Screw Obama, Romney, all the puppets and apologists in Washington and to hell with Scott Davis and the rest of the crooks in Atlanta.

Atomic_Smurf

Why are you fighting with this guy over this Obama crap? Look at his join date.

He's a worthless troll trying to push company propaganda and nothing more.

If Romney would of won the election, UPS would have come to the table with the exact same proposals and anyone who thinks otherwise is completely delusional. UPS has proved since the 2009 debacle (the official bending over of main street) that they are on a mission to bring this company up to speed with all the other greedy fortune 100 companies. They have promised to vastly accelerate top executive pay, which they have done. They have promised to come out of the recession leaner and a stronger company. Phase one of this part of the plan is complete because they have beaten lower management over the head with the bat and straight robbed them. Phase two will be this contract negotiation, in which they plan to do the exact same thing.

Screw Obama, Romney, all the puppets and apologists in Washington and to hell with Scott Davis and the rest of the crooks in Atlanta.

Actually Romney ran on the full repeal of Obamacare. Obama promised to keep in intact. You guys won. Get over it.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

Your argument loses a lot of credibility when you link to heavily edited video montages featuring clips from a broad period of time sewn in & out. You can find similar montages that 'prove' 9/11 and Sandy Hook were inside jobs.

And yes, I read the article with hall quotes. I myself have many times used selective topical quoting to twist people's arguments to appear in my favor ... which is what the WSJ did with Hall. He certainly wasn't questioning his support of ObamaCare.

Actually Romney ran on the full repeal of Obamacare. Obama promised to keep in intact. You guys won. Get over it.

Per your admission, a clear majority voted in favor of ObamaCare ... but you're not over it.

Atomic_Smurf

Your argument loses a lot of credibility when you link to heavily edited video montages featuring clips from a broad period of time sewn in & out. You can find similar montages that 'prove' 9/11 and Sandy Hook were inside jobs.

And yes, I read the article with hall quotes. I myself have many times used selective topical quoting to twist people's arguments to appear in my favor ... which is what the WSJ did with Hall. He certainly wasn't questioning his support of ObamaCare.

Per your admission, a clear majority voted in favor of ObamaCare ... but you're not over it.

Thats what I mean when I say there are now more people riding in the wagon than there are pulling the wagon. People want free stuff. They want Santa Clause & those of us that work & pay taxes are paying for it. It's nothing to be celebrated unless your simplistic view of politics is, my team vs. your team. True...I'm not over it. Our kids are paying for this. Any idea how much Obama has added to our nations debt since becoming president?

Please tell us what Obama words meant in this video. I've seen it in full context before & it is exactly as it appears. But if you disagree, then please put his words in context so that we can have our employer insurance plans back. Maybe Obamacare is just one big misunderstanding.

Bad Gas!

I meant your news and polling sources were quite idiotic and very misinformed(Dick Morris, Karl Rove, 100 other Fox News personalities) and republicans fell hard for it.

My news sources were correct, thats reality, step into it more often then once every 4 years after you take a drubbing.

I didnt take a drubbing..I dont like the republicans..but I dislike the liberals more...If you ask me, they are all crooks...And why cant Obama be under Obamacare if it's so great?..And Romney can go back to wherever he came from..Politicians on the lft and right are a bunch of lying basterds if you ask me..I can't take over 10 minutes at a time of Fox or CNN..Some the other cable political stations make me wont to puke, so why watch that crap!!