• Not sure, I fell asleep like the VP.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Great.

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
the past......the past......get over it. You can take every dollar from all the so called rich and you still won't have enough......something Odrama doesn't seem to comprehend.

Here's a real gem.

We are sitting on a 15 trillion dollar obligation as a nation. There is over 100 trillion in wealth out there in our country. If we took EVERY DIME, we could pay our debt off over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over....ok infinity.

Do the math.

Peace.

klein

Für Meno :)
TOS, I certainly don`t disagree with you often, but this time I must.

Where is $100 Trillion ?
It's in the US, I give you credit for that, but much of it is foreign owed.
UPS for example, you're not the only ones that have stock options thru payroll. It's worldwide.
Same with Coca Cola, GM, Ford, Apple, and the never ending list.
My major savings are in the Nasdaq..... so please.... leave my share(s) alone and out of paying down the US debt ! LOL

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The past , the past the past...

I didnt bring it up, Islandfox did. He made a comparision between himself vs the lazy americans over the last 40 years. I extended the argument to the begining of the United States of America.

I hear many complaints about ghettos and lazy minorities, but who put minorities in those ghettos? Before we can get up on our pedalstools, we have to fully understand the advantages and disadvantages of each race of people in this country.

We cannot ignore history as if it played NO part in our future.

Unintended consequences are a big factor when looking at the american workforce. 50 years ago, islandfox could go to school, attend college, get loans and live wherever he wished. Minority americans, did not have that option 50 years ago.

Minorities, especially african americans had it the worse, not only were they forced into ghettos where industries were leaving, they couldnt attend public schools or college. It took legislation and not the "free market" and "capitalism" to get them employeed, educated and fed.

While 20 years later there are more african americans and hispanics in the workforce, there are still thousands who are stuck in those ghettos with no way out. Fortitude, Attitude, Initiative and every other right wing buzzword will not help these people and they still need to eat, sleep, learn, earn and live.

In todays business climate, corporations looking out for their own interests and that of the stockholders, would rather unemploy ALL americans than keep the nation working. They are not concerned with the "unintended consequences" of the massively unemployed.

The tax revenue that goes uncollected ( federal, state,fica, social security, disability etc etc) drives up our federal deficit and the goverment is forced to ask for a bigger piece from the rest of us that are still working.

Good Bottom lines for corporations have led this country down the abyss of financial doom and now those who support the billionaires and millionaires are willing to hurt themselves instead of helping their own country.

Business first, country second.

How does this figure?

Peace.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
TOS, I certainly don`t disagree with you often, but this time I must.

Where is $100 Trillion ?
It's in the US, I give you credit for that, but much of it is foreign owed.
UPS for example, you're not the only ones that have stock options thru payroll. It's worldwide.
Same with Coca Cola, GM, Ford, Apple, and the never ending list.
My major savings are in the Nasdaq..... so please.... leave my share(s) alone and out of paying down the US debt ! LOL

Klien,

thats my point.. the quote was EVERY DIME, and EVERY DIME means from every pocket, us or worldwide.

I wanted to demonstrate the foolishness of the claim.

peace.

island1fox

ISland,

My ole my, the wonder of self righteousness and overglorification of "hard work". When this country was founded, hard work was NOT REWARDED, it was taken. The national anthem at the time was shameful as it did not represent all people living in the United States.

Africans, Irish and Chinese were brought into this country as slaves and forced to do the "hard work" you proudly claim. They were not paid, they were not rewarded and they were not respected. In fact, not until 1929 did this country even take up the issue of hard work and a fair wage.

It wasnt until the mid 60's the african americans would be considered regular americans and it took another 15 years for afirmative action to get more minorities in the workforce.

You call them lazy? Because it took the goverment to correct a very wrong?

You say you are a proud american to be the first to work hard and be successful, but how do you think african americans , mexicans and other minorities feel today about their chances at success over the last 20 years?

Its amazing how many people want to buy into the "i am in the rich catagory"....so stop attacking me.

Get real. There are tons of "rich" people who support raising the tax on the top 1%, and you my friend are not in the top 1%.

You would have to have a "taxable" income of over 1 million dollars a year to be affected.

This country created "lazy" people when it tried to keep them out of the workforce, cities and suburbs. Its only been 20 years since integration has taken hold and people allowed to live freely among each other.

Better reflect on your research a little better.

Peace.

TOS,

You seem to live your life looking in the rear view mirror and alot of what you see is backward.
In 1629 the English Empire along with the Spanish Empire and the African Slave traders bought the first slaves to Jamestown Virginia. No one can deny a terrrible day for what would eventually become the United States.
At the same time the English Empire had my ancestors as conquered people and slaves in Ireland. They faced poverty ,starvation and death.When they fled to the new world many were taken off the ships to fight and die for other peoples freedom in the civil war. My father arrived in Ellis Island alone with no money in the early 1900's as a teenager and was subject to racism in the"NEW YORK" of course you know the old York was in England.
He found many places with "Irish do not apply" -of course old Al and Jessie and affirmative action was not around then --so he did what he had to do --work or starve--he dug ditches for the railroads for 44 years until he died, he and my Irish Mother Raised six children in the slums of the South Bronx. No welfare ,no food stamps, no education,no house and no car. He worked all day she worked as a cashier nights. The only thing they had to give us was love,teach us a hard work ethic and altough Catholic told us not to bring children into this world unless you could afford them.
They also taught us honesty and to value our Catholic educations that they desperately paid for to keep us out of the Public schools.
Do not preach to me how hard people have it today. Way to many are LAZY, create chaos in schools,are allergic to work. With all the entitlement programs and affirmative action in the U.S. even a black man from a broken home rose to become the most powerful man in the world--you cry about the top 1% and envy them and through your rose colored glasses you do not see the lack of personal responsability, lack of work ethic and people not moving forward but complaining about the past.
I am surprised that a well read person such as yourself cannot realize that I too have decended from slavery and as Jim Casey would say "Determined people make their conditions, they do not become victim of them.
Anyone in America can be successful if THEY choose to be.In this country EVERYONE has the opportunity to have a better life than the past generation had.
My father and Mother worked hard and their reward was to have Six college Graduates all successful and contributing to society.
Stop being stuck in the past --no one can change it--but the future --it is there for anyone to grasp.:peaceful:

klein

Islandfox, you think your family is the only one that immigrated to North America ?
They all went into hardship, my mother and father included.

But, I have to agree with you on 1 thing.
When I moved back from Germany, being educated and as a skilled worker at the German government expenses, I had work here already waiting for me.
(Because, I applied while I was on vacation here earlier that year).

Anyways, a few employees at the dairy were actually landed immigrants from Polen and the Phillipines.
When I heard they got a $20.000 interest free loan, with very minimal payments from the Canadian government just to get started, I wasn't very pleased about it.
But, even more outrageous, that they didn't have to pay any income taxes whatsoever for 2 full years, as a government grant, too.
Well, needless to say, those 2 foreign workers bought homes, while I was still struggling to get a whole entire household started, after comming over with only 2 suitcases.
And, that just didn't seem right to me.I'm Canadian born, and came finally home, and got the shaft, compared to these new immigrants.

I would have been much better off, to hide my birth certificate, and just come as a German immigrant.
Stupid me, didn't do that though !
And I know, I would have been hired as a foreigner, too, because the Plant Manager at the time, thought it would take atleast 3 months to get my papers in order and be able to work in Canada.
I told him otherwise, that I have cdn citizenship.

Like I said, should have kept it all secret ! ???

island1fox

Klein,
Again you missed my point --not just me --all immigrants have had rough times but through hard work many, many have been successful.
Welfare and entitlement programs chain people to dependency and poverty. Hard work and success set them free.

bbsam

Staff member
Klein,
Again you missed my point --not just me --all immigrants have had rough times but through hard work many, many have been successful.
Welfare and entitlement programs chain people to dependency and poverty. Hard work and success set them free.
Hard work? Where does that set you free in this country anymore? Hard work let's you continue on in life, but it doesn't exactly bring success anymore and free from what? The government? And chains one to a company that is chained to...yep, the government.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was delivering to the social services (welfare) office one day. It was their monthly shipment of paperwork, 30 boxes worth. As I was hauling the second of four handtruck loads up the ramp one of the "clients" asked me why I was working so hard. It took all I could muster not to say "to pay for your lazy ass"--instead I ignored him and completed the delivery.

bbsam

Staff member
I was delivering to the social services (welfare) office one day. It was their monthly shipment of paperwork, 30 boxes worth. As I was hauling the second of four handtruck loads up the ramp one of the "clients" asked me why I was working so hard. It took all I could muster not to say "to pay for your lazy ass"--instead I ignored him and completed the delivery.

Yeah, I see the same "lazy asses" at the VA offices in the area.

klein

That wouldn't even bother me, because who knows his/her background ?
They could have been laid off, like millions other have.
Or have chronicle diseases, like my brothers short-lived recent ex-girlfriend.
You think she is completly normal, and is capable of working, but it's not the case.

What bothered me more, is when I seen this handicapped person, with a wheelchair, going into a foodbank (was just parked there with my UPS truck at the time).
Thought instantly, gee, the government isn't doing enough for those less fortunate.

island1fox

Hard work? Where does that set you free in this country anymore? Hard work let's you continue on in life, but it doesn't exactly bring success anymore and free from what? The government? And chains one to a company that is chained to...yep, the government.

bbsam,
I just do not understand you. Let me give you a direct hardwork/reward/success real life, present day.
TOS speaks of the tradgedy of slavery and the civil rights movements of the sixties.
TODAY--Present Time --The evil Corporate Company United Parcel Service--The Chief Operations Officer is a Black Man --the Twenty District Managers that Run UPS ---50% Black.
How ?? Hard work and opportunity thats how !!! Hard work and reward in America TODAY --no matter who you are White, Black, Red-Male, Female. These people could have easily hid behind their color and played victims. Instead they educated themselves ,took advantage of opportunities and are doing way more than as you say"continue on in life"
Odds our next year UPS will have a Black man as CEO. I only say Black man because of people like you and TOS. I know this man and his hard work and integrity will be further rewarded.
Also . lets see--Godfather Pizza --must be run by a big white Italion Mafia guy ---Holy cow !!!! The guy is Black ---OH my God --He is running for President of the United States----Stop my Heart --He can't be Republican !!!
There is a brave new world out there --embrace it !!!:wink2:

klein

Island, your telling me all this just today, after I seen a CNN report ?

Seggration is still alive and well.
The school districts are in certain states and communities in a small war.

Some want to stop bussing kids around, just for the good that miniorities mix in with the caucasians.
Now, they want to go back to naighborhood schooling, and some argue that's a step backwards, because they won't have "mixed" schools in black neighborhoods.
And no mixed schools in white neighborhoods.

So, don't just call it history ! History is hardly over within 1 generation alone.
The crap is still going on, on how to intergrate society from those past years.

island1fox

Island, your telling me all this just today, after I seen a CNN report ?

Seggration is still alive and well.
The school districts are in certain states and communities in a small war.

Some want to stop bussing kids around, just for the good that miniorities mix in with the caucasians.
Now, they want to go back to naighborhood schooling, and some argue that's a step backwards, because they won't have "mixed" schools in black neighborhoods.
And no mixed schools in white neighborhoods.

So, don't just call it history ! History is hardly over within 1 generation alone.
The crap is still going on, on how to intergrate society from those past years.

Klein,
Why don't you stick to your own countries problems. During a recent debate between the four Canadian parties Harper was under attack for not being Quick enough about letting entire famlies Immigate to Canada from countries like Pakistan and India.
Many of the "general population white Canadiens" are sick and tired of entire generations of old , sick, untreated people coming to Canada to put more pressure on an already overextended health care system. Worry about the Racist remarks about "towel heads" in your own country.
For many years now Canada cannot even agree on a majority government --- if you listened to the four people running like I did --you should be very concerned with your own problems.