• Not sure, I fell asleep like the VP.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Great.

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

klein

Für Meno :)
Klein,
Why don't you stick to your own countries problems. During a recent debate between the four Canadian parties Harper was under attack for not being Quick enough about letting entire famlies Immigate to Canada from countries like Pakistan and India.
Many of the "general population white Canadiens" are sick and tired of entire generations of old , sick, untreated people coming to Canada to put more pressure on an already overextended health care system. Worry about the Racist remarks about "towel heads" in your own country.
For many years now Canada cannot even agree on a majority government --- if you listened to the four people running like I did --you should be very concerned with your own problems.

Whats wrong with our 4 people of 4 parties ?
Not as good as Obama and Trump/Palin ?

Germany has 5 parties in the Bundestag, I believe.
You know how complicated it gets to get a majority there ? Doesn't happen often.
England also a miniority, they also have 3 0r 4 parties.

Lets say the Tea Party would run on their own, they get 10% of the votes(seats), the libs and reps 45% each. You would also have a minority government.
Now imagine splitting the votes by 4 or 5 parties (canada does have 5, since the green party always takes over 5% of votes).

Regarding our election, not 1 bit concerned, since we'll end up with almsot the same government as before ( miniority conservative government).
The advantage of a miniority government : They need approval from atleast 1 other party to pass a new bill and make changes or go on a spending spree. Keeps them in check !
Disadvantage: We go to the polls within a year, again, or whenever all other parties disaprove of the Prime Minister or it's Budget.

Conclusion : A minority government is more democratic, since it represents the people better, that it takes atleast 2 parties to agree for any changes.
And since it's a 4 or 5 party system, you don't feel any bi-partisanship, and they don't "play politics", and hold it hostage, to decide the future of all of us.

moreluck

golden ticket member

Of those peeps you mention ONLY Obama is a candidate as of this minute.

Germany has 5 parties in the Bundestag, I believe.
You know how complicated it gets to get a majority there ? Doesn't happen often.
England also a miniority, they also have 3 0r 4 parties.

Lets say the Tea Party would run on their own, they get 10% of the votes(seats), the libs and reps 45% each. You would also have a minority government.
Now imagine splitting the votes by 4 or 5 parties (canada does have 5, since the green party always takes over 5% of votes).

Regarding our election, not 1 bit concerned, since we'll end up with almsot the same government as before ( miniority conservative government).
The advantage of a miniority government : They need approval from atleast 1 other party to pass a new bill and make changes or go on a spending spree. Keeps them in check !
Disadvantage: We go to the polls within a year, again, or whenever all other parties disaprove of the Prime Minister or it's Budget.

Conclusion : A minority government is more democratic, since it represents the people better, that it takes atleast 2 parties to agree for any changes.
And since it's a 4 or 5 party system, you don't feel any bi-partisanship, and they don't "play politics", and hold it hostage, to decide the future of all of us.
HAHAHAm Boy did you ever miss Island's point. And you even called someone else an idiot in another thread....ya must of thought you were looking in a mirror.

klein

HAHAHAm Boy did you ever miss Island's point. And you even called someone else an idiot in another thread....ya must of thought you were looking in a mirror.

Island's point was not worth responding to, that's why !
I'm following the election here very closely. None of that crap came up, and I can't comment on something, that is not a concern and not on our news.
I guess I could google some past remarks or whatever it is, to comment on. But, it's of no irrellevancy. Not wasting my time.

As far as I'm concerned he is just trying to dig up dirt on Canada, because he once lived here, and might slowly regret his move.
He house wouldn't even buy a mobile home here, and the US dollars saved up, are of little use here, too.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
TOS,

You seem to live your life looking in the rear view mirror and alot of what you see is backward.
In 1629 the English Empire along with the Spanish Empire and the African Slave traders bought the first slaves to Jamestown Virginia. No one can deny a terrrible day for what would eventually become the United States.
At the same time the English Empire had my ancestors as conquered people and slaves in Ireland. They faced poverty ,starvation and death.When they fled to the new world many were taken off the ships to fight and die for other peoples freedom in the civil war. My father arrived in Ellis Island alone with no money in the early 1900's as a teenager and was subject to racism in the"NEW YORK" of course you know the old York was in England.
He found many places with "Irish do not apply" -of course old Al and Jessie and affirmative action was not around then --so he did what he had to do --work or starve--he dug ditches for the railroads for 44 years until he died, he and my Irish Mother Raised six children in the slums of the South Bronx. No welfare ,no food stamps, no education,no house and no car. He worked all day she worked as a cashier nights. The only thing they had to give us was love,teach us a hard work ethic and altough Catholic told us not to bring children into this world unless you could afford them.
They also taught us honesty and to value our Catholic educations that they desperately paid for to keep us out of the Public schools.
Do not preach to me how hard people have it today. Way to many are LAZY, create chaos in schools,are allergic to work. With all the entitlement programs and affirmative action in the U.S. even a black man from a broken home rose to become the most powerful man in the world--you cry about the top 1% and envy them and through your rose colored glasses you do not see the lack of personal responsability, lack of work ethic and people not moving forward but complaining about the past.
I am surprised that a well read person such as yourself cannot realize that I too have decended from slavery and as Jim Casey would say "Determined people make their conditions, they do not become victim of them.
Anyone in America can be successful if THEY choose to be.In this country EVERYONE has the opportunity to have a better life than the past generation had.
My father and Mother worked hard and their reward was to have Six college Graduates all successful and contributing to society.
Stop being stuck in the past --no one can change it--but the future --it is there for anyone to grasp.:peaceful:

Island,

I congratulate you on your efforts and in no way want to diminish the value of your "hard work". I think you do have my point however. I listed the "Irish" in my post, and pointed out how they were "trapped" into a tough life for years and once they were "integrated" into the "new world", they rose and made good lives for their generations to follow. African americans and Mexican americans are in that same mode now.

Unlike the Irish, who had the opportunity to "Assimilate", africans and mexicans have had it tougher mainly because of the color of their skin in this country. The "new world" didnt have the same opportunities for minorities of color as they did for white minorities. The new world didnt want these people in their neighborhoods so they created ghettos for them to live, out of the way and unseen in the white communities.

They created GOVERMENT programs to KEEP them there, not to help them escape and integrate.

Some lost their lives trying to break free from these ghettos and improve their lives. The new world created laws to keep them there. As more and more of them learned and yearned for a better life, they were greeted by violence and a group of new world citizens called the KKK. Knowing that the goverment was eventually going to allow african americans the freedom to move about more freely, the KKK took matters into their own hands.

This terror group was able to convince a good portion of african americans to never ever want to leave their "ghettos" out of pure fear.

Today, generation after generation live there with the help of the goverment and you call them lazy. Nobody wants them in our public schools, in our suburbs, in our restaurants or in our industries. Some have managed to escape the grip of poverty but the percentage is still small in comparision to the overall number of those still living in poverty.

For almost 200 years, african americans have been held back by either laws or social barriers.

When this is the overall concept that they face day to day, how do you expect them to think any differently? Some are just tired of trying. Others are making it. Indeed, we have a black president, but the repubicans and its followers still want to call him names, make fun of his race, connect him to every radical black person in the world and you say weve evolved?

By percentage, neighborhoods are becoming more integrated with minorities, but in some areas, once minorities come in, "white flight" takes over.

Using only the concept that capitalism and the free market will help minorities escape the need for goverment assistance is foolish at best. No matter how many tax cuts you give large corporations, they will NEVER EVER build a factory or business in a minority community. If they did, they could solve this "welfare" society and the mindset that goes along with it.

As a nation, we have created the poverty we see today. Now you want to complain about it? Americans bitch about the goverment spending tax dollars on the poor minorities because its costing millions of dollars every year and climbing, but nobody was complaining about it when it kept those minorities out of the suburbs.

We need to change the mindsets of not only those trapped in the ghettos, but also those in the rest of america to open their minds to accepting them in the communities as they did the Irish back in the 1800's.

I dont cry for the top 1%, they had all the opportunities that the rest of us dont have. Not all of us follow the carrot at the end of the stick ISland. Some of us dont even see the stick.

I am also a minority. I grew up in a hispanic ghetto as a child, watched and suffered with my relatives. My grandfather worked hard and put my father in school and then a community hispanic college. My father then worked hard and was able to get me to a better school and college but it wasnt that easy. We were targeted by other kids and families as we moved to a "white area" in 1965 and they just didnt want us there. It was tough as a kid dealing with this kind of discrimination but our father asked us to be brave.

At the end of the day, we made it out, went on to have great lives, I have two sisters who are now lawyers, my brother is a captain with LAPD and this with hard work from all of us. I recently took my own daughter to the area where I grew up and showed her around town. We eventually made it to the one bedroom home we lived at with 2 parents and six kids. She about cried. She wondered how I escaped from that environment and was able to live where we live today.

Hard work, determination, leadership and acceptance. Without acceptance, everything else means nothing. Sure it was tough, but today, its tougher than ever. With millions of jobs leaving the country over the last 25 years, there are fewer opportunites for minorities to make it on their own without the help of our goverment.

We can agree that all people should be given a chance to succeed in this country, but it starts with the top 1%. They have to "invest" into america and not third world nations. The unintended consequence of investing overseas is the collapse of our own society at large. Those of us that are left with jobs and assets are being asked to pay MORE for the rest of america as the top 1% ask for a tax break.

At no time in the history of tax breaks for the top1% has an major investment in america occured. Our current manufacturing to GDP sits at 9%, whereas prior to Ronald Reagan and the first tax cuts to the rich manufacturing to GDP sat at 43%.

This decline in manufacturing to GDP was solely based on the tax cuts which allowed corporations to invest those savings overseas.

By taking those jobs overseas and out of this county, what is there left for americans of all races to do? In eight years of BUSH, weve managed to become a "service industry" nation. Fast foods, hotels, mom and pop shops are all thats left for employment. We no longer build furniture, clothes, shoes, paper products, pencils,appliances,electronics,toys, paints,dog food,toothpaste etc etc etc.....

In todays ghettos, you want a kid to go to work for mcdonalds for 8 bucks an hour-part time, whereas, he could sell a "rock" for 25 bucks every 15 minutes. Where do you think he would rather work? Why not teach him to build cars with a living wage and teach him to raise his family to follow in his footsteps?

Its all about changing the mindset of this whole country. From the top to the bottom. Investing in america, investing in our people. I travel all over this country and I see good people and bad. I am treated well in some parts and frowned upon in others.

You said : ""Way to many are LAZY, create chaos in schools,are allergic to work.""

Well ISland, poverty creates chaos. So the solution is to solve poverty. The one thing that was overlooked when the ghettos were created was the rate of reproduction. Each area has growth numbers that are staggering, and it was only a matter of time before the rate of births would exceed the rate of ability to cover the costs.

Since Ronald Reagan, the richest americans achieved the most power in the country and its those interests that are being protected while the bottom rungs of the country asked to fix the nations problems.

We can agree to disagree, but hard work is not the answer, its only a process, the answer is employing our citizens and paying a living wage. Only then will we be able to save this country.

Peace.

wkmac

At no time in the history of tax breaks for the top1% has an major investment in america occured. Our current manufacturing to GDP sits at 9%, whereas prior to Ronald Reagan and the first tax cuts to the rich manufacturing to GDP sat at 43%.

This decline in manufacturing to GDP was solely based on the tax cuts which allowed corporations to invest those savings overseas.

TOS,

The point you made above is an interesting point and let me just say upfront. I'm no fan of Reagan as most here know but then I'm no fan of the rest either so there you go. Tax cuts or tax increases IMO are all smoke and mirrors anyway and is nothing more than surface mud to bog us all down from actually talking too one another instead of what we do and that is talk at one another.

As to your point about the collaspe of manufacturing GDP since the Reagan years, I agree completely but as to the cause we might all be wise to consider another factor that may play more a role than tax increases or decreases. That factor is when WW2 ended, global industrial production capacity lay in bombed ruin except for the most part in one nation, that being the United States. With our production capacity, being on the winning side of the war and our global monetary position we'd achieved thanks to Bretton Woods and the resulting creation of the likes of the IMF and World Bank, we dominated the economic globe for the next 30 years. The world easily ate up as much industrial surplus as we could crank out so life was good.

However, cracks did begin to appear in the 60's and by the 70's Europe was a bit back on it's feet and Japan was emerging from it's own ashes. When Reagan entered the scene, the truth was already there but we Americans could not bring ourselves to accept it and even some of Carter's dilemma was a part of this equation. It had nothing to do so much with them as either democrat or republican or even liberal or conservative. Economics and global industrial capacity just began to spread out as a matter of global policy. The ability for ourselves to be self sustaining first was jettisoned on the false notion of global interdependence which was nothing more than a cover story for global rape and pillage either by soldiers in 3 piece suits or soldiers at the point of a gun. Either way, "You will be assimulated, Resistance if futile" became the American motto regardless of party in power.

In the 80's not only did the manufacturing base accelerate into it's deminished role but so too did the historic family farm that was a powerful engine of American prosperity. Now the infamous industry of "friend.I.R.E" became the economic powerhouse but this was a fake prosperity from the get go as the whole thing was built on a system of unsustainable debt. In order to maintain the dollar as global reserve currency, a global economic system of production was necessary and this was more the driving point of our manufacturing decline than a tax increase or decrease itself. If tax policy played any role, it was as a tool towards an end and not the end in and of itself. I also believe tax increases are always shed off by corp. onto working people and consumers anyway so your goal of fairness may be noble but the bastards running the show will just manipulate your good intentions.

In the 1990's as a result of Clinton, the idea of global via GATT, WTO, NAFTA etc. came about thanks in no small part because of Clinton and the infamous DLC. The DLC has been the same ball and chain around the necks of good sincere democrat liberals that the neo-conservatives were to good sincere conservatives. In other words, keep em' fightin' one another, keep em' fooled and we can do as we please. Even today with Obama, the same damn bullschitt is playing out again.

Russell Means, former AIM leader and current Indian activist with the Lakota Nation recently put it best when he said, "Welcome to the Reservation!" What's been going on in America to african americans huddled in urban ghettos to foreign indigenious peoples being destroyed along with their way of life so global empire and global debt can continue is nothing more than the old 19th century reservation system taken on world tour by Uncle Sam and the British Bulldog. Now finally the shoe has dropped and white america is waking up to find their own lives being herded onto the global corp. reservation and political party and who we vote in makes no difference as the end results are always the same. They grow bigger and we get screwed!

BTW: I know we disagree on much but I'm glad to see you back in this forum more and more these days. Balance is good!

:peaceful:

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
TOS,

The point you made above is an interesting point and let me just say upfront. I'm no fan of Reagan as most here know but then I'm no fan of the rest either so there you go. Tax cuts or tax increases IMO are all smoke and mirrors anyway and is nothing more than surface mud to bog us all down from actually talking too one another instead of what we do and that is talk at one another.

As to your point about the collaspe of manufacturing GDP since the Reagan years, I agree completely but as to the cause we might all be wise to consider another factor that may play more a role than tax increases or decreases. That factor is when WW2 ended, global industrial production capacity lay in bombed ruin except for the most part in one nation, that being the United States. With our production capacity, being on the winning side of the war and our global monetary position we'd achieved thanks to Bretton Woods and the resulting creation of the likes of the IMF and World Bank, we dominated the economic globe for the next 30 years. The world easily ate up as much industrial surplus as we could crank out so life was good.

However, cracks did begin to appear in the 60's and by the 70's Europe was a bit back on it's feet and Japan was emerging from it's own ashes. When Reagan entered the scene, the truth was already there but we Americans could not bring ourselves to accept it and even some of Carter's dilemma was a part of this equation. It had nothing to do so much with them as either democrat or republican or even liberal or conservative. Economics and global industrial capacity just began to spread out as a matter of global policy. The ability for ourselves to be self sustaining first was jettisoned on the false notion of global interdependence which was nothing more than a cover story for global rape and pillage either by soldiers in 3 piece suits or soldiers at the point of a gun. Either way, "You will be assimulated, Resistance if futile" became the American motto regardless of party in power.

In the 80's not only did the manufacturing base accelerate into it's deminished role but so too did the historic family farm that was a powerful engine of American prosperity. Now the infamous industry of "friend.I.R.E" became the economic powerhouse but this was a fake prosperity from the get go as the whole thing was built on a system of unsustainable debt. In order to maintain the dollar as global reserve currency, a global economic system of production was necessary and this was more the driving point of our manufacturing decline than a tax increase or decrease itself. If tax policy played any role, it was as a tool towards an end and not the end in and of itself. I also believe tax increases are always shed off by corp. onto working people and consumers anyway so your goal of fairness may be noble but the bastards running the show will just manipulate your good intentions.

In the 1990's as a result of Clinton, the idea of global via GATT, WTO, NAFTA etc. came about thanks in no small part because of Clinton and the infamous DLC. The DLC has been the same ball and chain around the necks of good sincere democrat liberals that the neo-conservatives were to good sincere conservatives. In other words, keep em' fightin' one another, keep em' fooled and we can do as we please. Even today with Obama, the same damn bullschitt is playing out again.

Russell Means, former AIM leader and current Indian activist with the Lakota Nation recently put it best when he said, "Welcome to the Reservation!" What's been going on in America to african americans huddled in urban ghettos to foreign indigenious peoples being destroyed along with their way of life so global empire and global debt can continue is nothing more than the old 19th century reservation system taken on world tour by Uncle Sam and the British Bulldog. Now finally the shoe has dropped and white america is waking up to find their own lives being herded onto the global corp. reservation and political party and who we vote in makes no difference as the end results are always the same. They grow bigger and we get screwed!

BTW: I know we disagree on much but I'm glad to see you back in this forum more and more these days. Balance is good!

:peaceful:

Wkmac,

Great points, well stated. I agree on most counts. The only disagreement I have is with Nafta. It was George Bush who signed it into law just before he left office, it was the repubican majority in the clinton term that ratified the bill. A matter of slight of hand. Clinton had no choice but to ask for some concessions and the repubicans had the over ride in hand.

Either way, clintons involvement with the WTO only made matters worse.

The problem now affects all persons in this country and not just our minorities as you stated.

Peace.

klein

wkmac, what I get out of your "speech" is this:

When America prospered, the money went out as fast as it came in.
Nothing was saved for a rainy day.
It all went into the arms race, and I think a generous house mortgage tax write off plan, that no other country has.
Plus the fact that 30 years, ago, Canada and the US were both only spending 10% of GDP towards healthcare.
Today, it's 15% and 30% repectively for the US.

And I totally agree with you, the after effects of WWII, plus the benefit that the US got to steal a lot of german technology along with the best scientist and Inventors, and it was to be bound to end, as Europe rebuilt itself.

Last edited:

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Islandfox,

Watch this episode of "The Rifleman" starring chuck connors. Maybe it can lend you a sample of how minorities are treated in this country when they try and play by the rules and do the right thing. Watch how the perceptions of minorities by white americans plays the largest part.

Yes, its only a tv show, but one that speaks volumes given our discussions.

[video=youtube;Q5xAhQVivjU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5xAhQVivjU[/video]

Peace.

moreluck

golden ticket member
25 mins !!!

I'll just give you an aside......the man in the still pic. is Michael Ansara and he was married to Barbara Eden of I dream of Jeanie fame.

island1fox

Island's point was not worth responding to, that's why !
I'm following the election here very closely. None of that crap came up, and I can't comment on something, that is not a concern and not on our news.
I guess I could google some past remarks or whatever it is, to comment on. But, it's of no irrellevancy. Not wasting my time.

As far as I'm concerned he is just trying to dig up dirt on Canada, because he once lived here, and might slowly regret his move.
He house wouldn't even buy a mobile home here, and the US dollars saved up, are of little use here, too.

Klein,
Your personal attack only does exhibit ignorance. I am very surprised you went there.
As far as following your election closely and none of what I mentioned came up ? Try a little bit of honesty. During the Debate on CBC the three candidates all attacked Harper over "keeping famlies seperate from Immigrating countries. This also led to the Quebec candidate declaring "Independence" and claiming the right to regulate all Immigration to Quebec and not be under the laws of a United Canada. He also stated that they had to "preserve" the French Culture and language and did not want Immigrants changing that.
So that you get the point this time --A direct question : Is "Preserve" just another word for SEGREGATION or RACISM ???
As I have said many times people in glass houses should wash their windows once in a while instead of complaining about their neighbor's business.
Also Klein--just for this instance-I will allow my self to be dragged down to your level --not that it matters to anyone but me but a four million dollar home after the devaluation on ten acres of waterfront comprised of 11,000 sqare feet and 23 rooms ???? Mobile home in Canada ??? Also You are right I lived in Canada , Respect the country and have hundreds of very close Canadian friends.
But like so many Canadians your suffer from the American Envy Symdrome. You exhibit all of the symptoms --You worked for UPS rather than Canpar, you get your news from CNN rather than CBC. You spend all of your time on a UPS website ??? etc etc etc.

Also we have disageed on the cafe many times before -but always being civil about it. Don't know if you were just having a bad day, but shame on you .
As I stated above your personal attack comments do not support your claims of numerous degrees but only show lack of Intelligence and inferior communication skills.
P.S. I know the Stanley Cup Race is in full stride but take my advice --Watch your Leaders debate next time.

klein

Ok, I opoligize, I had a bad day, too.
And , I did watch the debate, but I didn't translate it into "towel heads" like you have.
We have immigration from all sorts of countries, and it's nothing new that Quebec wants to select their own immigrants. They have everything else, as you may know, such as their own CPP (canada pension plan) - there it's QPP (quebec pension plan).

A debate over immigration is even difficult in America , and in Europe, Australia, NZ. It's no different here.
Part of the problem about immigration is, you bring in 1, and eventually, you get the whole "Wong" family over.
The NDP did make it clear, that's what he wants to do (he's not getting my vote). The others were more causious, and didn't want to offend anyone, be it immigrants or the "Canadians".

It was more of a boring debate, they basically all ganged up on Harper, and Harper had, to most part, the same answer.
Once in a while Jack Layton would tell "Iggy" that he is to blame for keeping Harper in power.

Nothing new.
Right now, I'm watching Question Period on CTV (about the election), then W5 on CTV, and at 3pm mst, I will watch the "Your Money" show on CNN.
I watch CNN when nothing else is on TV. It's interesting.

Anyways, 1 more week until voting day, and Harper will remain Prime Minister, but it looks like the NDP is making major progress in Quebec. It's odd, and it looks like Quebec is seeking an alternative.
Could be good for all of Canada. :)

Last edited:

island1fox

Islandfox,

Watch this episode of "The Rifleman" starring chuck connors. Maybe it can lend you a sample of how minorities are treated in this country when they try and play by the rules and do the right thing. Watch how the perceptions of minorities by white americans plays the largest part.

Tos,
I am sorry, it is Easter morning and I did not watch the 28 minute video but I am sure it will show disrepect and examples of how the Indians were treated so poorly.
As you said it is a TV show and I am sure there are other TV shows or movies that portray the Indians as Non human savages. Not my point.
Many people do not like the term conquered people - but if you look throughout history most of the time the conquered do not get any consideration.
We can live in the past or watch TV shows or discuss honestly the problems of today. Would you agree that many of the tribes today enslave their own people? The tax breaks and the gambling revenues are controled by THEIR top one percent and the majority of the others are not interested in Education and a better life but only alcohol,drug dependency and whatever handouts they can get. Many of todays problems exist within their own communities. I would very much like to see this change but with some of the charitable organizations I have been involved with I see a very long road.
Also we have spoke about the Black community -again TOS we have and can agree on many points. The past was horrific for the Afro -American community. We cannot change the past and even such well know Black men Morgan Freeman and Bill Cosby state that it is time to be part of the present and provide for the future. Many problems also lie within the black community today. Six out of ten Black Children are born to broken homes. No guidance,education,parental discipline-run the hip -hop streets-drugs-crime -jail -children out of wedlock and the terrible reality continues to the next generation.
I do not believe you will-but someone who does not know me will throw the race card. I do believe that we still have a number of idiot racists around but I know for sure there are alot more race cards.
I have to run my wife is taking me out for an Easter b'fast--I am sure we will continue this discussion.:peaceful:

Yes, its only a tv show, but one that speaks volumes given our discussions.

[video=youtube;Q5xAhQVivjU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5xAhQVivjU[/video]

Peace.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
ISland,

The video shows plenty of disrespect and the like, but its the "message" that was the point. I talked about changing the mindset of people, all people to effect change, and in this video, you see how it starts, and at the end, the mindsets of all the people in town are changed with the exception of the die hard who unfortunately, are the ones with all the money.

Same exist today.

Peace.