Obamas economic news conference

over9five

Staff member
Who saw this today?

I thought he did a fine job, and was very "presidential". Funny thing, Biden was standing right beside him the whole time and they never showed him.

passerby

Who saw this today?

I thought he did a fine job, and was very "presidential". Funny thing, Biden was standing right beside him the whole time and they never showed him.
Uhmm, It was a 'President-Elect Obama's' news conference. They didn't show Warren Buffet either, and he was right there.

Good group of very smart people he has backing him up. We are in a mess, and it looks like he's taking advice from the smartest people in America.

It makes me a bit hopeful.

over9five

Staff member
Re: President-Elect Obamas economic news conference

You're right, it said that right on the podium!!

It made me hopeful too. I hope it did the same for Wall St.

passerby

You're right, it said that right on the podium!!

It made me hopeful too. I hope it did the same for Wall St.
So far, the reaction has been positive.

But it is 10 weeks before he can do anything. I hope he takes his time, and finds the best people to fill the important cabinent posts. We really need smart people to get us out of this mess smoothly.

He does seem to have a steady hand on the tiller.

over9five

Staff member

Part of his speech was just that. Taking the time to get the right people.

Two months seems like a lot of time, but really it's not when you consider that not only do they have to be CHOSEN, but it would be extremely beneficial to have them all up to speed on Day One.

tieguy

Banned
Uhmm, It was a 'President-Elect Obama's' news conference. They didn't show Warren Buffet either, and he was right there.

Good group of very smart people he has backing him up. We are in a mess, and it looks like he's taking advice from the smartest people in America.

It makes me a bit hopeful.

Warrens Berkshire reported some pretty bad earnings results today. Guess he did not have the answer either.

tieguy

Banned

market dropping 8 or 9 hundred points is not a positive reaction. Its liberal thinking like this from our congressional group that got us in this mess.:happy-very:

passerby

I'm sure you are on the short list.

Are you blaming Obama for Bush's mess already?

Bush had a Repub Congress until 2006, and all he did was loot the country and shred the Constitution.

At least it appears you can still afford some cheap alcohol. Take a break.

tieguy

Banned
I'm sure you are on the short list.

Are you blaming Obama for Bush's mess already?

Bush had a succesful growing economy.
Obama was voting present when his congressional group destroyed a fine running Bush economy.

Bush had a Repub Congress until 2006, and all he did was loot the country and shred the Constitution.

I'll actually agree with you on the constitution part. Though I challenge you to provide a solution that keeps us safe from terrorist for seven years like bush did. Dying in a burning tower for the sake of the constitution is not one of my goals in life.

He and his republican congress had a terrific growing economy in 2006. Your liberal wackos then obliterated that economy.

At least it appears you can still afford some cheap alcohol. Take a break.

Thanks to your economy destroying congress I now have to buy cheaper alcohol and watch my pennies.:peaceful:

Babagounj

Strength through joy

But it is 10 weeks before he can do anything. I hope he takes his time, and finds the best people to fill the important cabinent posts. We really need smart people to get us out of this mess smoothly.

I thought his campaign was about change ?
So why has he picked Washington insiders ?

Same old song & dance

passerby

I thought his campaign was about change ?
So why has he picked Washington insiders ?

Same old song & dance

Insiders? Only one person has been picked so far, that is not a plural.

Glad to see all the patriots hoping for the best for the country.

Can you wait until January 21st to start attacking? He's not in charge of anything regarding the running of the government yet.

tieguy

Banned

Insiders? Only one person has been picked so far, that is not a plural.

Glad to see all the patriots hoping for the best for the country.

Can you wait until January 21st to start attacking? He's not in charge of anything regarding the running of the government yet.

For some reason I didn't see you complain when Over 9 was prematurely praising Obama for seeking guidance from Buffet?

Over 9 stop praising the guy until january 21st. Geez.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Good God this is surely something that TOS should've commented on! Where is he/she when you need he/she?! Could it be that he/she was on the Obama volunteer list and now has no more use of us because his/her job is done? J/K if your still here...if not, well then...I wasn't kidding!

chev

Nightcrawler
Who saw this today?

I think they are trying to keep the Jackass out of the picture as much as possible.:wink2:

Seriously though, Vise pres (elect) never really gets that much coverage anyway.
The country wants to hear what O has to say. Not his lap dog.

tieguy

Banned
Good God this is surely something that TOS should've commented on! Where is he/she when you need he/she?! Could it be that he/she was on the Obama volunteer list and now has no more use of us because his/her job is done? J/K if your still here...if not, well then...I wasn't kidding!

ever notice they don't post at the same time? wonder why?

Channahon

So far, we know Barack has good presentation and speaking skills, let's hope he has accountability skills as well, as I think accountability has been lacking for a long, long, time in government agencies.

Obama's Full Remarks On Economy

(CBS) Remarks of President-elect Barack Obama

Press Avail on the Economy

Thursday, November 7th, 2008

Chicago, Illinois

This morning, we woke to more sobering news about the state of our economy. The 240,000 jobs lost in October marks the 10th consecutive month that our economy has shed jobs. In total, we've lost nearly 1.2 million jobs this year, and more than 10 million Americans are now unemployed. Tens of millions of families are struggling to figure out how to pay the bills and stay in their homes. Their stories are an urgent reminder that we are facing the greatest economic challenge of our lifetime, and we must act swiftly to resolve them.

The United States has only one government and one President, and until January 20th of next year, that government is the current Administration. I have spoken to President Bush, and I appreciate his commitment to ensuring that his economic policy team keeps us fully informed as developments unfold.

Immediately after I become President, I will confront this economic crisis head-on by taking all necessary steps to ease the credit crisis, help hardworking families, and restore growth and prosperity.

This morning, I met with members of my Transition Economic Advisory Board, who will help guide the work of my transition team in developing a strong set of policies to respond to this crisis. We discussed several of the most immediate challenges facing our economy and key priorities on which to focus on in the days and weeks ahead:

First, we need a rescue plan for the middle class that invests in immediate efforts to create jobs and provides relief to families that are watching their paychecks shrink and their life savings disappear. A particularly urgent priority is a further extension of unemployment insurance benefits for workers who cannot find work in the increasingly weak economy. A fiscal stimulus plan that will jump-start economic growth is long overdue – and we should get it done.

Second, we must address the spreading impact of the financial crisis on other sectors of our economy: small businesses that are struggling to meet their payrolls and finance their holiday inventories; and state and municipal governments facing devastating budget cuts and tax increases. We must also remember that the financial crisis is increasingly global and requires a global response.

The news coming out of the auto industry this week reminds us of the hardship it faces – hardship that goes far beyond individual auto companies to the countless suppliers, small businesses and communities throughout our nation who depend on a vibrant American auto industry. The auto industry is the backbone of American manufacturing and a critical part of our attempt to reduce our dependence on foreign oil. I would like to see the Administration do everything they can to accelerate the retooling assistance that Congress has already enacted. In addition, I have made it a high priority for my transition team to work on additional policy options to help the auto industry adjust, weather the financial crisis, and succeed in producing fuel-efficient cars here in the United States. I have asked my team to explore what we can do under current law and whether additional legislation will be needed for this purpose.

Third, we will review the implementation of this Administration's financial program to ensure that our government's efforts are achieving their central goal of stabilizing financial markets while protecting taxpayers, helping homeowners and not unduly rewarding the management of financial firms that are receiving government assistance. It is critical that the Treasury work closely with the FDIC, HUD and other government agencies to use the substantial authority they already have to help families avoid foreclosure and stay in their homes.

Finally, as we monitor and address these immediate economic challenges, we will be moving forward in laying out a set of policies that will grow our middle-class and strengthen our economy in the long-term. We cannot afford to wait on moving forward on the key priorities that I identified during the campaign, including clean energy, health care, education and tax relief for middle class families.

My transition team will be working on each of these priorities in the weeks ahead, and I intend to reconvene this Advisory Board to discuss the best ideas for responding to these immediate problems.

Let me close by saying that I do not underestimate the enormity of the task that lies ahead. We have taken some major actions to date, and we will need further actions during this transition and subsequent months. Some of those choices will be difficult, but America is a strong and resilient country. I know that we will succeed if we put aside partisanship and work together as one nation. And that is what I intend to do.

(© MMVIII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)