Obstruction of the highway

thabigshot

Question.......

A year ago I was arrested for a DWI that was dropped down to Obstruction of the highway. Would this obstruction of the highway charge hinder me from becoming a driver?

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Is that charge even a moving violation?
Yes. It carries the same weight as the first offense, in terms of points and insurance rates.

As far as I know the only difference is they aren't subject to bigger fines or other consequences like a 1-year license suspension.

barnyard

KTM rider
Why not ask someone in HR that would actually know??? You HAVE to tell them. If you do not disclose and they find out, you are fired for lying.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

And they will find out when they run your driving record.

UPS does not request an abstract for each and every driver----that would be cost prohibitive----I know NY charges either $7 or $10 for an online request for an abstract----I don't know if they offer group discounts for employers. I have been told that they will review our annual disclosure forms and follow-up if they find any inconsistencies or have any suspicions.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
hinder me from becoming a driver

UPS does not request an abstract for each and every driver----that would be cost prohibitive
On initial hire a thorough background check is done on everyone including motor vehicle report. The OP was asking about becoming a driver.

That being said after I filled out this year's annual MVR certification stating I had nothing for last year my management team got an email asking to confirm my info because they ran a query on me and it came back no hit/no match for my info (like I didn't have a license) so I don't know what they do for existing drivers but they apparently attempted some kind of a check for me on the routine annual certification.

thabigshot

Well I do intend on telling them when they call me in for the driving test. I was just curious to see what everyone had to say. I didn't want to get my hopes up. Thanks for the comments everyone!

Sent using BrownCafe App

iowa boy

Question.......

A year ago I was arrested for a DWI that was dropped down to Obstruction of the highway. Would this obstruction of the highway charge hinder me from becoming a driver?

Was your license suspended at all? I don't know about other states but here in Iowa, you can plea down your first offense but it still on your abstract that you have an OWI on your record, and when UPS pulls that abstract, it will show the OWI but that it was pled down to a non moving violation.

thabigshot

I got the DWI, license got suspended for six months. Then court dates kept getting reset till the charge was a year old. The charge got reduced and I agreed to take some classes.

iowa boy

I got the DWI, license got suspended for six months. Then court dates kept getting reset till the charge was a year old. The charge got reduced and I agreed to take some classes.

Your license being suspended may be your demise. I can't say how it will work out for you, but you need to find out the official policy on license suspensions in your area with regards to UPS. Your HR person you are dealing with should be able give you the answer you need.

Hope it works out, but I don't have a good feeling about it for you.