ODC Clerk Question

nystripe96

Quite simply, my friend is looking for a job. He's very good with computers, and I told him he should try to apply for UPS. Keep in mind this kid is very shy, and it's like pulling teeth to get him out of his comfort zone which is....um computers. Not the most athletic or strong person either, so I'm not sure loading would work out so well. Ok, so I notice everytime I walk into my hub, I see a bunch of computers set up. I asked a few guys on my belt what that designation is called, and they told me it's ODC. Few questions......Can my friend inquire about working on ODC at an initial interview with HR? Also, a little background on what ODC actually means and what the work entails if possible so I can relay some info to him. Thanks!

InsideUPS

Can my friend inquire about working on ODC at an initial interview with HR? Also, a little background on what ODC actually means and what the work entails if possible so I can relay some info to him. Thanks!

Not sure about other UPS facilities but at our location ODC/FDC would be a bid position. You may want to check into a non-Union Information Service position for your friend.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your friend would become bored within 5 minutes working in ODC. There is very little real computer work done--it is all data entry.

He may be better suited applying at Staples or Best Buy.

cino321

UPS may be the opportunity to break out of his shell. Lots of confrontation, plenty of opportunity to learn how to speak up for yourself, and if you do not break out of your shell you will eaten and chewed up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPS may be the opportunity to break out of his shell. Lots of confrontation, plenty of opportunity to learn how to speak up for yourself, and if you do not break out of your shell you will eaten and chewed up.

Good point. I still think he would be better served applying for a job where he would be challenged.

nystripe96

Well, simply put he just needs a job. ODC may in the very least be a start. He studied computer information systems in.college. I'm just trying to help him out

UPSGUY72

Well, simply put he just needs a job. ODC may in the very least be a start. He studied computer information systems in.college. I'm just trying to help him out

He isn't going to be able to ask for that job unless that job is listed on Upsjobs.com as a specific job opening.

gorilla75jdw

usaully the jobs where you push buttons at a place that uses seniorty as a mechanism to moving up are all gne , until someone moves out of the position and it becomes available , where-as the position would be posted for bid by seniorty . Hopefully your friend will fill out an aplication and work his way thru the ranks to get an ODC position , then one day he/she can post on here and tell us all the disgruntfulness that comes along with his newly desired position , just like everybody else you have seen posting on here abut there current or former position . There is no free pass to get to a preferred or soft position , we all work the seniorty bid system and move up as our seniorty is placed .