Odometer PCM

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had a PCM about the proper way to transfer odometer readings to the DIAD. Someone in a cubicle with far too much time on their hands has noticed that some drivers will round the odometer up to record their ending mileage but will round it down to record the beginning mileage the following day, thus "stealing" one mile. We are now instructed to round our odometer readings up. Our center manager was actually instructed to verify odometer readings of known offenders. Amazing.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have never rounded up or down, I just enter the beginning and ending miles as displayed by the odometer and ignore the tenths. It can get a bit confusing when you are like me and driving a different car every day; some of the cars have odometers that read out to tenths of a mile, and others dont. Some of the cars have over 100,000 on them and some dont. Some of the newer International cars have teeny tiny little odometers on an LCD display that almost requires a magnifying glass to read.

I agree that it is sad and pathetic that we are paying a salary to the cubicle-dweller who has nothing better to do than worry about such issues while at the same time cutting routes in a manner that negatively impacts the quality of service that we provide to our customers.

Overpaid Union Thug

I have never rounded up or down, I just enter the beginning and ending miles as displayed by the odometer and ignore the tenths. It can get a bit confusing when you are like me and driving a different car every day; some of the cars have odometers that read out to tenths of a mile, and others dont. Some of the cars have over 100,000 on them and some dont. Some of the newer International cars have teeny tiny little odometers on an LCD display that almost requires a magnifying glass to read.

Funny how the cubicle dwellers seem to care about a minor discrepancy such as the difference in 1/10 of a mile but a snotty little know it all OMS will give a driver attitude if we ask him/her to look up the previous day mileage for a truck. I occasionally enter the wrong mileage in the morning so at the end of the day I've drove 898765 miles! Then I get attitude from an OMS when I try to correct it.

rod

Retired 22 years
I went for almost a year one time with an odometer that added an extra 10-12 miles every day onto my 110+ mile route. I probably would have got away with it forever if some ying yang vacation driver hadn't written it up. That was about the only time in 30 years that I looked good on the reports.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Funny how the cubicle dwellers seem to care about a minor discrepancy such as the difference in 1/10 of a mile but a snotty little know it all OMS will give a driver attitude if we ask him/her to look up the previous day mileage for a truck. I occasionally enter the wrong mileage in the morning so at the end of the day I've drove 898765 miles! Then I get attitude from an OMS when I try to correct it.

I write down the ending mileage in the upper right hand corner of the DVIR every night. I started doing this when I was on a country run which had a pkg car with a less than accurate fuel gauge. I knew that if I filled it up and it sat overnight I would be fine the next day but if someone drove it I knew I would have to fill up during the day.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I write down the ending mileage in the upper right hand corner of the DVIR every night.
I write down the milage on the back of my Infonotices every morning. I also reset the tripometer too, the Saturday Air and PM Air Drivers often don't know how to work the fuel pumps.

Brownsfan

That is crazy. If its at .9 i will round up cause by the time the unload the truck it will say that. These guys are full of it.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Just out of curiosity, does anyone ever add the "new" miles from a new speedometer/odometer to the original miles? You know the miles the shop writes on the dash with a white out pen. Do they really expect us to add the 89,649 miles to the original 553,742, because I don't. The other day, I caught the guy next to me doin the math on his phone calculator...lol.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
That's the way I was trained and will continue to do so until I retire. Unless you are only driving 10 to 20 miles a day, rounding up to gain an extra mile won't make much difference anyhow.

If you only drive 10 to 20 an extra mile is huge. When I started back when none of the trucks had tenths. Of course nobody in a cubicle paid any atention.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Nobody is going down over a mile, let alone several tenths.
"They" say a lot, only some of it is meaningful.
Pick and choose accordingly.

brownelf

our center has had issues with mileage discrepancies in the past which have led to discipline up to and including discharge. Nowadays since we rely on the reports that are printed by the company, we no longer have a paper trail to fall back on if there's an issue. I've found that writing your beginning and ending miles on your DVIR each day will give you a paper record you can easily get at when needed if there's a question regarding miles driven.