Off the clock work?

km3

Not any time. My building won't let you get things from your car at break.

In my state, your break is your time and you can't be required to remain in a work area. However, the parking lot is so far away from the actual building, that by the time you got back inside, break would already be over. It's not worth it unless you're in excruciating pain and left your pain killers in the car or something like that.

MendozaJ

Here are some common lies I've been told regarding my pay:

It'll be on the next check.

They must not have adjusted the start time
(there is no they, it's you, the sup I'm speaking to that failed to make the change).

I'll take care of it.

One sup who jerked me around eventually got walked out because he was just a terrible human being. Even he was too slimy for management.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
image.jpeg
Actually, I drink Hamm's light because it really is pretty good. An old time pilsner style beer.

And, I have no problem with Busch light either. I don't feel as though I have to prove my manhood by the beer I drink.

So, there.

My go too

twoweeled

Hello, I'm a new hire. My supervisor asks us to come in an hour early and I don't think we get paid for it... when I clock in it'll say "Start time: 5:30" and it'll be 4:15. Then when I clock out, it says I worked an hour less than what I really did.

Is this legal? What should I do? Feels like a kick in the ass.
If your still on probation, I don't think you wanna get too crappy. Just my opinion. They will clearly take advantage of you, but I'm not sure about in the unload, still under probation. Take someone else's advice if that's the case.
If probation is over, make sure the sup is telling you to start early. Then let him know you were unable to change your start time when you punched in. If your pay isn't correct, according to the hours you worked, tell him and hand in a grievance. They tend to be reeeaal slow in pay correction. Management gets a LOT faster when penalty pay is in play. Once you file a grievance and get paid for it a couple of times, they'll be real clear about you starting early or not. DON'T WAIT TOO LONG TO FILE ON THE TIMES THEY HAVE NOT PAID YOU CORRECTLY IN THE PAST.
Talk to someone there who has actually filed on this problem. But don't be picking his brain about how and who - IF YOUR NOT GOING TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. It's really aggravating to some of us.

Saturday Air has moved our start time from 8:00 to 8:15 "unless the air gets here early then we will change your start time", without due compensation. Sounds sneaky to me. Of course "if you don't like your job you don't have to work here." is the only answer you get.

twoweeled

Saturday Air has moved our start time from 8:00 to 8:15 "unless the air gets here early then we will change your start time", without due compensation. Sounds sneaky to me. Of course "if you don't like your job you don't have to work here." is the only answer you get.
No, I think he has a few other answers. Regardless of what time the air arrives, is not his problem or responsibility. I'm guessing this newby doesn't fly the jet, nor drive the feeder. If they give him a time to start, he is to get paid from that time. If the air has arrived, or not. That's why management gets paid the big bucks. To make those decisions.

Last edited:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
There should be no such thing as "off the clock work". When they back a trailer to a dock, there is close to $100K worth of revenue being unloaded. Don't do it, the company does not care about you personally.

Cementups

Box Monkey
We had two new hires walk out in the middle of unloading yesterday morning. Tossed a box of live crickets bound for Petco onto the belt, performed a 180 and walked out the door.

Thursday night we had a girl who came in to get her last check. Her sups couldn't find it. So she stormed out pissed off and grabbed a fire extinguisher and smashed our glass double doors entering the hub. I'm gonna guess she won't be getting that last check anymore.

rod

Retired 22 years
Thursday night we had a girl who came in to get her last check. Her sups couldn't find it. So she stormed out :censored2: off and grabbed a fire extinguisher and smashed our glass double doors entering the hub. I'm gonna guess she won't be getting that last check anymore.

I would have liked to have seen that

browntroll

in our hub theres a few employees that do that, they had management favorites do it until a few seniority employees started
to file on it. they will adjust ur time to make sure u get paid for the work you do, ive done setup before when i was in unload
since i had higher seniority but now im in pickoff and dont get the option anymore.