Off to Courier School

MassWineGuy

At long (long) last, they're sending me to courier school. All three days of it. It should be interesting, except for the part of leaving at 5 am to beat the Boston traffic. Got my bucket 'o stuff all ready.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
At long (long) last, they're sending me to courier school. All three days of it. It should be interesting, except for the part of leaving at 5 am to beat the Boston traffic. Got my bucket 'o stuff all ready.

I'll bet you quit within a month. You'll figure it out.

dezguy

Make sure you get some nice steak dinners on your per diem. Get what you can from this company.

MassWineGuy

No per diem for me this time. But they do pay for mileage, so I'll splurge on a hamburger at lunch.

As for quitting, I've been there about a month and it seems ok. If I were working there full time, I might think differently. But I neither need nor want to do that. If I need extra hours, they're available in ample supply.

whenIgetthere

If class is still at District HQ, driving to Framingham both ways will suck, no matter which direction you're coming from. The day will end just in time to sit in traffic on Rte 9/Rte 95/Rte 128/Rte 495 or Rte 93. And those will be you're best days at Express. Then the real screwing begins!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If class is still at District HQ, driving to Framingham both ways will suck, no matter which direction you're coming from. The day will end just in time to sit in traffic on Rte 9/Rte 95/Rte 128/Rte 495 or Rte 93. And those will be you're best days at Express. Then the real screwing begins!

I don't think MassWineGuy believes us when we talk about this shathole. He'll discover the hard way.

SmithBarney

Hey take it easy on him, after 3 days, he'll be PRO, running 120%, providing insight to seasoned couriers on how to do their job better, and working up the ranks, he's gonna be SOMEONE BIG he'll fix this company one day......

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Hey take it easy on him, after 3 days, he'll be PRO, running 120%, providing insight to seasoned couriers on how to do their job better, and working up the ranks, he's gonna be SOMEONE BIG he'll fix this company one day......
This company is beyond fixing it seems.

MassWineGuy

I don't dismiss the criticisms made here of FedEx. If there's something to discover, I'm sure that I'll discover it for myself soon enough. Smith, I'm already someone big. And When, I'm painfully aware of the traffic nightmare and am very much looking forward to it.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I don't dismiss the criticisms made here of FedEx. If there's something to discover, I'm sure that I'll discover it for myself soon enough. Smith, I'm already someone big. And When, I'm painfully aware of the traffic nightmare and am very much looking forward to it.

Do you live more than 50 miles from courier class?

Honestly, being a courier isn't that hard. Yes, the company is screwing drivers, but stop acting like you're the pioneers to private space exploration.

Anyone can come off the road and drive, and anyone with half a brain can be pretty efficient in a short amount of time.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Honestly, being a courier isn't that hard.

Anyone can come off the road and drive, and anyone with half a brain can be pretty efficient in a short amount of time.

The problem is that they're hiring too many drivers anymore with half a brain, and giving them little training. They've never been taught how to set up and organize a route. Not a good combination.

vantexan

Honestly, being a courier isn't that hard. Yes, the company is screwing drivers, but stop acting like you're the pioneers to private space exploration.

I set up a guy in Texas with 20 stops, a good map, and a fairly condensed area. Took him almost 5 hrs to return to the station(area was 20 miles away). Don't discount how bad some are at directions. I've seen people freak out and quit after a month. The combo of a bad mgr, a really heavy route, a short window, bad traffic, some angry customers, coworkers with attitudes, etc can really wear on you. Especially if you're at one of those stations where you start around 6 a.m. and work a 4X10 and get pressure constantly to work your day off. I liked the OT, some prefer to have a life.

SmithBarney

No being a courier isn't that hard, but take a look around your location, there are plenty of folks that make it look impossible.. I work in a location with impeccable maps, where an entire route is inside a single housing development, and the CRRs there still manage to drive in circles...

MassWineGuy

I am navigationally challenged, though I know the towns my stations serves. Some type of Garmin or cell phone map app is in my future. I'll be a part time PM driver mostly doing pickups.

SmithBarney

I am navigationally challenged, though I know the towns my stations serves. Some type of Garmin or cell phone map app is in my future. I'll be a part time PM driver mostly doing pickups.
As a pup driver, you'll probably have a bunch of regulars, you won't need a GPS except perhaps for the random on-call you may get from time to time.

SuperHandler

Remember, you got 30 days to catch up to speed. Don't let those managers fool you into thinking you can get fired. Good luck and welcome to the wah-wah train.