off today for voting

Nimnim

The Nim
I can understand the desire to report to work, but here the polls closed at 7. There are a fair number of drivers who aren't off work by then.

If I was a driver and knew that on a normal day my chances of making it to the polls by 7 were limited I'd rather take a dead day to exercise my voting rights than to chance not being able to get off work in time.

I don't fault either opinion, as situations vary, but I value voting over work. 1 day less pay won't usually kill me, but in my mind my vote counts absolutely.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I can understand the desire to report to work, but here the polls closed at 7. There are a fair number of drivers who aren't off work by then.

If I was a driver and knew that on a normal day my chances of making it to the polls by 7 were limited I'd rather take a dead day to exercise my voting rights than to chance not being able to get off work in time.

I don't fault either opinion, as situations vary, but I value voting over work. 1 day less pay won't usually kill me, but in my mind my vote counts absolutely.

What if 20 drivers were in line? Do you all miss work. I would have went to work, and if I cant make it after work, so be it.

Nimnim

The Nim
What if 20 drivers were in line? Do you all miss work. I would have went to work, and if I cant make it after work, so be it.

I suppose that's why early voting is virtually everywhere, and some locals give holiday pay.

I will concede your point and add a counter point. If all 20 had shown up to work, how many routes would have already been cut? Surely not 20 but we all know by now UPS never plans to use their full staff unless they absolutely have to.

upsman68

Screw you upstate. The polls close at 7:00. My 9/5 is 7:20. My polling place is not on my route. I have every right required by the state law of Texas to have an opportunity to vote. I am old school I like to vote on Election Day.

Why do you think you are all high and mighty. You are a punk and a loser. Get over yourself.
I bet nobody likes you at your center. You sound like a suck up.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Yes, I do. The polls generally stay open long enough to allow people to vote either before or after work. The OP did try to vote early but through no fault of his own was delayed and had a decision to make. I would have chosen to go to work and voted either during the day (the polling station is on my route) or voted when I got off work. My center manager would have been pissed had I called him to tell him that I was going to be late because I had to vote.

County employees here get the day off. I think this is totally unnecessary.

When I was military the civilians were given up to 4 hours of paid time to vote.

Very few drivers only work 8HRs a day like you do. And I would guess that very few drivers have their polls on their route. And who gives a crap what your center manager thinks or says?

Some people have a lot of pride when it comes to voting. Losing a days pay might be a great trade to cast their ballot.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
And, you find this stupid???

Yes, I do. The polls generally stay open long enough to allow people to vote either before or after work. The OP did try to vote early but through no fault of his own was delayed and had a decision to make. I would have chosen to go to work and voted either during the day (the polling station is on my route) or voted when I got off work. My center manager would have been pissed had I called him to tell him that I was going to be late because I had to vote.

County employees here get the day off. I think this is totally unnecessary.

When I was military the civilians were given up to 4 hours of paid time to vote.

I would tell my center manager tough. I wasn't happy I got off after 9pm but I dealt with it. That's right I got off 2 hours after polls close. Remember everyone doesn't work where you do lots of us have very long days.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Polling places have extended hours so you can do both. I would have assessed the situation, gone to work and voted that night. I most certainly would not have taken a "dead day" just to vote.

Yet, just yesterday you told me there are more important things than money. Well, which is it?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Screw you upstate. The polls close at 7:00. My 9/5 is 7:20. My polling place is not on my route. I have every right required by the state law of Texas to have an opportunity to vote. I am old school I like to vote on Election Day.

Why do you think you are all high and mighty. You are a punk and a loser. Get over yourself.
I bet nobody likes you at your center. You sound like a suck up.

www.ragingcaseofinternetcajones.com