Offical Post! What Behind The Numbers!

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
It's not a bad contract but it's not a good one either. The pension is the same as it was 2 contracts ago, that means inflation reduced it's value by ( 10 x 3.5) = 35%. Plus the fact Retirees healthcare cost could be as high as 150$ a month per person (retiree and spouse) compared to 50$ now, thats another 7%loss in pension. I think we all work too hard and UPS is too profitable ( 1 billion a quarter in PROFITS) that over 3 contracts the best we can do for our hard earned pensions is a 42% DECREASE in spending power of our pensions. Maybe it's just me, but I think we've earned better than that.:confused:1

O

OZZ

It's not a bad contract but it's not a good one either. The pension is the same as it was 2 contracts ago, that means inflation reduced it's value by ( 10 x 3.5) = 35%. Plus the fact Retirees healthcare cost could be as high as 150$ a month per person (retiree and spouse) compared to 50$ now, thats another 7%loss in pension. I think we all work too hard and UPS is too profitable ( 1 billion a quarter in PROFITS) that over 3 contracts the best we can do for our hard earned pensions is a 42% DECREASE in spending power of our pensions. Maybe it's just me, but I think we've earned better than that.:confused:1

I agree with you but your math actualy is too generous. Because of compounding 2008 dollars are worth about 46% less than 1997 dollars. Remember also that UPS wanted out of CS, they are simply paying what is required by law for their portion of the unfunded liability. This is not an amount the teamsters "won" for us in negotiations. They are not "bailing out CS" as some are saying. Also the new contract specificly states that UPS will not assume responsibility for the pension you have already earned. We will receive seperate checks from CS and the new pension and UPS will not cover the CS portion if it fails. This is not good for long time CS participants. Shame on management if they are misleading people into thinking UPS is somehow securing thier pension with this offer!

Braveheart

I hate to keep repeating myself, but, all everyone here is talking about is their raises and what's going in their pocket. It has been stated several times that UPS has the money and we should get more. YOU ARE! Who do you think is benefitiing from the 6.1 billion?

I used this example in another post. 6.1 billion divided by 250,000 equals $24,000/ person.

Vote this down and ask to go back to the table and watch what happens to the 6.1 billion. I don't know any company that was willing to layout that amount of cash FOR IT'S PEOPLE and at the same time continue to offer over $9.00/hr in additional wages and benefits over the next 5 years.

This isn't Disney World! Thank God the company has the business intelligence to continue to make money and is in a financial position to put up such a large amount of money!!!!

Think twice before you dismiss this contract as unacceptable!

Remember the big fish always eats the little ones
Do you really think that UPS cares about "ITS PEOPLE"?!? Please spare me the hand out comments. UPS knows damn well what they are doing. They will make their money back in no time and then some. UPS does not put out $6.1 billion dollars unless there is something in it for them. What will it take for people to see we are getting shafted.

Braveheart

I agree with you but your math actualy is too generous. Because of compounding 2008 dollars are worth about 46% less than 1997 dollars. Remember also that UPS wanted out of CS, they are simply paying what is required by law for their portion of the unfunded liability. This is not an amount the teamsters "won" for us in negotiations. They are not "bailing out CS" as some are saying. Also the new contract specificly states that UPS will not assume responsibility for the pension you have already earned. We will receive seperate checks from CS and the new pension and UPS will not cover the CS portion if it fails. This is not good for long time CS participants. Shame on management if they are misleading people into thinking UPS is somehow securing thier pension with this offer!
Great points!!!

1eyejack

Do you really think that UPS cares about "ITS PEOPLE"?!? Please spare me the hand out comments. UPS knows damn well what they are doing. They will make their money back in no time and then some. UPS does not put out $6.1 billion dollars unless there is something in it for them. What will it take for people to see we are getting shafted.
The real number is 44,000 divided by 6.1 billion equals 138,636..37 per person for central states.only Let UPS put that money in the ups only employee account only and we will have a great retirement pension hell with the rest of the central state teamsters..... let them suck the officals who have 2 an 3 pensions them thieves...

Buster

The annual raise is split equally each year of the contract, wage increases will be Aug 1 and Feb 1. Food for thought, how will $0.75, $0.75, $0.85 and $0.95 be divided equally in year 2 an so forth with the odd raises? :ohmy:

upsgrunt

The annual raise is split equally each year of the contract, wage increases will be Aug 1 and Feb 1. Food for thought, how will $0.75, $0.75, $0.85 and $0.95 be divided equally in year 2 an so forth with the odd raises? :ohmy:

It was printed that UPS will not round the split raises up but rather pay the 1/2 cent. Sounds goofy, but how does that work?

Z

zippo

It was printed that UPS will not round the split raises up but rather pay the 1/2 cent. Sounds goofy, but how does that work?
Happens all the time if you have ever invested in the stock market. Are you really worried about a half of a penny?

upsgrunt

Happens all the time if you have ever invested in the stock market. Are you really worried about a half of a penny?

No, not worried about the half a penny, just curious how it worked that's all. Don't you ever wonder about something you are not sure about, or do you just know everything?:confused:1

Fullhouse

Word around here is the first raise in Feb 08 (.35) will not be given to the employees as pay but will be paid towards benefits, then when August 08 comes around the emplyees will get the rest of that yearly raise in thier pay checks.

I have to agree with you there. And, what many fail to notice, is that the wage increase might not all go into salary, but into the pension, as you also pointed out earlier. Not one of the most advertised parts of the contract.

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
By the condition of the pkgs I deliver,smashed and dirty, and the constant over 9.5 dispatches, and the everpresent harrassing of hourlys to explain" where did you lose it?" I truly believe UPS thinks very lowly of it's employees and customers and their pkgs alike. I don't think it has always been that way. Jim Casey was a man of honor and vision that treated all employees with respect. Today we have too many in control, ie. new CEO, who have not worked in our shoes and think only of the bottom dollar. Too many times it's "penny wise and pound foolish" Don't we all see alot of waste of time and money on propaganda and others things? Don't we all have ideas on how to save time and money? It seems like mgtmt never wants to hear our ideas or concerns despite their claims that they are always open to suggestions. Not in my center! It's GET IN YOUR PKG CAR, GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE, and GET BACK AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Tomorrow will be the same plus maybe a little split for good measure:crying: Does anyone ever get the inside of their truck cleaned? Iv'e got 1 1/2 " of dirt piled up on the floor, some from 2 years ago. You customers ever wonder why all your pkgs are dirty?:sad:

Fnix

Drop frames in my center still have pet food spilt, 500 drink bottles and 4 inches of paper from 2 years ago in them.

They keep hiring supervisors that do nothing and end up following the hourlies orders.

I'd be happy to clean out dropframes and trailers for extra money.

They wont listen, maybe if I tell them "how many more boxes they could put in a drop frame if it was cleaned out" they might consider it.

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
No pension is secure except maybe for the remainder of this contract. But our pension has gotten weaker for the last 2 contracts and this will be the 3rd. Not even a cost of living increase, and after you retire, there's no COLA. So from the time you retire on your fixed pension it continually gets eaten up by inflation, that's why it's so importent to have a good starting pension, Ours hasn't changed in what 11years? and how about the cost of insurance for retirees, 50$ per person,(retiree and spouse) Word is, that could jump to 150$. I'll bet UPS doesn't bring that up until after the contract is ratified. Just like that 150lbs limit that came in AFTER a contract was ratified. Sometimes you have to fight for what's fair- and this contract does NOT seem fair to me-- just because I already make a good wage, I'm suppose to accept any crumbs they throw our way. WE have earned our good wage and we have earned an increase in our pension, especially with 200% increase in health care cost for retirees. 4 BILLION PROFIT last year for UPS --How about a cost of living increase in our pension? Do you think anyone in UPS or your union will be getting a pension of less than 50% of their yearly wages? OF COURSE NOT and we pay for our union reps pension, maybe they could actually improve ours, Thank you very much!:mad:

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
I asked my 17 year old son how he felt about the pt wages, benes, progression, pension. He wants todo ups as a back up plan. He said "I would start out ok, for being single. But if I went driving I would be making how much in only 3 years? And they will give me free money when I retire?" Now he wants to make ups his career.

he's only 17. i bet he won't say the same thing at 27 or 37 and 47.:laugh:

Damok

I think that the minority who are negative all the time about the contract must either be a Fedex employee, DHL, Postal Service or the TDU trying to benefit from our mis fortune

I would angry about life in general and just plain misinformed to that list.