Officially start my first day as a package handler tonight...

iDC

2030 is my start time what will I be doing? I appreciate any advice that can be passed down to a noob. I'll be working at the hub out here.

Hatch76

don't get overwhelmed first day and don't worry about remembering everything they tell you. did they tell you what area you will be working at?

iDC

don't get overwhelmed first day and don't worry about remembering everything they tell you. did they tell you what area you will be working at?

No not yet, but we did tour the hub and got to see the different areas of the job

Hatch76

oh ok, so its just the orientation then. don't get discouraged if they start you at the input, all you do is offload cans, really just monotonous work. you might get lucky and start at an offload team or a slide. it used to be you could transfer to different areas in the hub after 3 months, not sure if its still like that, but you definitely want to get on an offload team. just show a good attitude and be on time; it takes some time to get from the parking lot to the bldg if its the Memphis Hub...

Star B

White Lightening
Good luck and please stop putting heavy boxes on top of light boxes.

Love, every courier that has to deliver said mangled boxes to pissed off customers.

BootsOnTarmac

Welcome to Express. It may not be your cup of tea but give it some time. Your body will adjust. Get to know your Team Lead. After 90 days your in like Flynn. While you work, look around at other jobs your manager is in charge of, you may find something that suits you better. Show up on time and if you can, volunteer for coming in early or staying after the sort. Try not to let your co-workers apathy affect you. Judge the job for yourself! Post back if you made the 90 days and decided to stay. Lots of advice available here.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Welcome to Express. It may not be your cup of tea but give it some time. Your body will adjust. Get to know your Team Lead. After 90 days your in like Flynn. While you work, look around at other jobs your manager is in charge of, you may find something that suits you better. Show up on time and if you can, volunteer for coming in early or staying after the sort. Try not to let your co-workers apathy affect you. Judge the job for yourself! Post back if you made the 90 days and decided to stay. Lots of advice available here.
Who knew there was a probation period for handler??? Lol.

BootsOnTarmac

Who knew there was a probation period for handler??? Lol.

In the past your first 90 days meant limited call ins and tardiness. Your manager had cause to let you go. Now it seems that after 90 days you get your health benefits, etc. Ever since they stopped the high school / GED requirement for handlers the pool of new hires has gone to crap. Every once in a while you get a shining star. Quality handlers are the keystone of this operation, preventing problems like crushed packages, miss-sorts, and putting the wrong cons on a doc bag to name a few.

l22

2030 is my start time what will I be doing? I appreciate any advice that can be passed down to a noob. I'll be working at the hub out here.

Do everything to the very best of your ability. Ask management all the questions you can and follow up until you get a proper answer/the info you were looking for. Familiarize yourself with company policy - the People Manual. Your body will adjust to the work - in particular, your hands will have to get used to handling so many packages. It may be painful at first, but you'll get used to it.

l22

Do everything to the very best of your ability. Ask management all the questions you can and follow up until you get a proper answer/the info you were looking for. Familiarize yourself with company policy - the People Manual. Your body will adjust to the work - in particular, your hands will have to get used to handling so many packages. It may be painful at first, but you'll get used to it.

Find out about tuition reimbursement and use it.