Oh boy Ohhrion

oldngray

nowhere special
I, for one, can't wait for this thing to show up where I am. My route, for the most part, is only about 5 city blocks. I deliver businesses and do pickups most days right up until about 4:15. My DOL is pretty much 100% with a few exceptions, most notable of which is a 400-unit apartment building that is early in my EDD that I skip and don't deliver until about 4:45 (after all commercial stops and pickups are done because it takes between 30-60 minutes to do).

I'm dying to see what happens when Orion tells me to deliver this building at 11:30 AM. The amount of missed businesses will be staggering.

It will be interesting to see how ORION handles a route that condensed. Mileage shouldn't change much and I wonder if it will do stupid things like tell you to deliver a few apartments closer to a main street, then go do something else then go back into that apartment complex later and repeat.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The problem I see is that ORION never accounts for a blown out package car let alone any day after November 20th.
I have trouble finding a package PAL'd 2000, do you really think I'm going to be able to find 4675 at the drop of a hat.

I use my head to get the most deliveries in a short amount of time, but don't waste my time if I can't because of bulk, commits, etc

My only prediction is that I will also be joining the 9.5 club AND taking my two 8 hour requests a month
​If it affects me that much, I will affect their bottom line !!

oldngray

nowhere special
The problem I see is that ORION never accounts for a blown out package car let alone any day after November 20th.
I have trouble finding a package PAL'd 2000, do you really think I'm going to be able to find 4675 at the drop of a hat.

I use my head to get the most deliveries in a short amount of time, but don't waste my time if I can't because of bulk, commits, etc

My only prediction is that I will also be joining the 9.5 club AND taking my two 8 hour requests a month
​If it affects me that much, I will affect their bottom line !!

Exactly. I also had a bulk route with many business stops getting multiple packages. Delivering nothing but business for the first 5 hours then maybe half an hour to deliver residential before pickups and everything else after 5. Their ideal situations with single package stops all delivered from the front totally didn't apply but they always tried to insist I do things their way. I just ignored them and did what was necessary to get the job done. And with a bulk route it is easily worth it to break trace to deliver a couple of bulk stops to create some room in the package car.

I told a sup about how it easily cost me 2 hours digging and ping ponging around the town. He said they didn't care because other centers were seeing an average reduction of 7 miles per route. Spend a dollar to save a penny?

Replace those miles with more stops.
Remove one more route daily
One less driver needed yearly
100K plus saved
Those are a lot of pennies....we just picked up.
http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/oh-boy-ohhrion-351070/#ixzz2XNeqVTDf
Got news for ya Drago.....you're not saving ***** with me. Add more stops,Ill add those pennies to MY paycheck! 20 plus years of driving,I could care less how many stops you misfits add....money in my pocket. Just remember....slower is safer ;)

iowa boy

Any driver worth his or her salt is should be able to run his route better than a computer.

Not according to UPS...

According to ups no driver is worth his salt. We all just lie cheat and steal.[/QUOT

I agree with you 100%.

And yet they continue to send us liars, cheaters and thieves out every day to deliver. Guess they haven't figured out how to strap a computer in either seat to teach us how to do our jobs correctly.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Honestly I'm amazed ups isn't pumping hundreds of millions into technology for vehicles to drive themselves.

I read an article the other day that said the technology is here. It's just a matter of public acceptance. Well once this happens. We are all just driver helpers.

Indecisi0n

Honestly I'm amazed ups isn't pumping hundreds of millions into technology for vehicles to drive themselves.

I read an article the other day that said the technology is here. It's just a matter of public acceptance. Well once this happens. We are all just driver helpers.

The technology is here but I wouldn't expect to see this commercially for a long time if ever. Too much liability.

iowa boy

Can you see IE trying to program this technology, oh one can only imagine what a CF that would be.

I do agree with Indecision though, the liability factor alone would shoot this down in a heartbeat.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
The issue isn't so much to make sense as it is to get bulk fuel savings along with cutting a route. Even though you get more miles, they cut a route which lowers everyones miles along with saving 4-7 miles per route avg. the pennies saved equals millions.

Brownslave688

Liability for who?

The car manufactures? They are testing this technology all over. They wouldn't spend this type of money if they didn't plan on using it.

Ups? They are already liable for us. Someone has convinced them that Orion knows how to run a route better than u or I. How hard would it be to convince them a car can drive itself better.

I love to drive and its painful to say but a computer (theoretically) can drive better than any human. We has humans can not pay 100% attention to the road 100% of the time. Just doesn't happen. Computers don't day dream or eat or check out the hotties walking all over campus.

Cars will drive themselves. Probably within 20 years or so.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Liability for who?

The car manufactures? They are testing this technology all over. They wouldn't spend this type of money if they didn't plan on using it.

Ups? They are already liable for us. Someone has convinced them that Orion knows how to run a route better than u or I. How hard would it be to convince them a car can drive itself better.

I love to drive and its painful to say but a computer (theoretically) can drive better than any human. We has humans can not pay 100% attention to the road 100% of the time. Just doesn't happen. Computers don't day dream or eat or check out the hotties walking all over campus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgMekYoaUlk

curiousbrain

It's actually pretty interesting how cars drive themselves; in a former life when I was in college, I worked on a sort of "auto conversation" between cars on the road that drove by each other.

More to the point, how does a car know about changing conditions and things like that? Whenever two cars pass each other on the road, they initiate a quick burst of transmission, whereby they exchange information about conditions, detours, things like that. I'm not sure if that's how they still do it, but that was the approach I took.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Liability for who?

Cars may very well drive themselves within 20 years...on designated stretches of freeway or major throroughfares that have been digitally mapped and programmed with GPS coordinates. That doesnt mean that a car will be able to navigate itself thru gridlocked downtown traffic, or figure out the best place to park and break out a two-wheeler. Nor will a car be able to navigate some of the rural, backwoods goat trails that I encounter on a daily basis while delivering to the hill folk. The job of a package car driver is a lot more complicated than just connecting the dots in the shortest amount of distance.

Rico

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't let you do that.

Brownslave688

It's actually pretty interesting how cars drive themselves; in a former life when I was in college, I worked on a sort of "auto conversation" between cars on the road that drove by each other.

More to the point, how does a car know about changing conditions and things like that? Whenever two cars pass each other on the road, they initiate a quick burst of transmission, whereby they exchange information about conditions, detours, things like that. I'm not sure if that's how they still do it, but that was the approach I took.

It'll get to the point that microchips are so cheap they will just lay them with the paint. Then not only will cars talk to each other but the road can talk to the cars.

curiousbrain

It'll get to the point that microchips are so cheap they will just lay them with the paint. Then not only will cars talk to each other but the road can talk to the cars.

Radio-frequency identification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With a little creativity, one could see how information could be stored in a condensed form, transferred from these chips to car tires as the car drives, and thus the road would just be a physical manifestation of a computer network - information could flow both ways in real-time.