Oh no ! Another accident at our station !

franknitty

Managers at our station are now sending out messages over the powerpad to couriers WHILE THEY'RE WORKING, informing them of their on-road numbers being below 100%. In the message the managers also stated, "If there is anything WE can do to assist you with this issue, please stop in our offices to discuss this matter". About an hour later, a courier was involved in an accident while doing their route. I'm not saying because of the managers message over the powerpad is at fault, just thought i'd mention it.

So, is anyone else out there receiving these messages ?

Last thing, our station use to be in the top 3 in the district on safety and accidents. Now that we have ROADS, gap time, gap reports, etc., our station has been in the bottom 3 worst stations for accidents and employees injuring themselves on the job.

I'm just saying...........

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Sending messages about productivity over the powerpads while couriers are on the road flat out sucks. Put the info in the courier's mailboxes or hand them out personally. Another "people move." :biting:

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

We get messages about checking out our kids playground equipment, but I could care less since I sign off dispatch around 0900 anyways...one of the benefits of being tucked away in a customer's warehouse.

whenIgetthere

Back when I was a swing and would sign on to a night route after my split shift, or from a day route to a night route, it would literally take five minutes to go through the 35 or 40 messages from dispatch that would get to sent out all day. By the time you finished getting through all the messages (and I never read them, just opened them so i could move on), I'd be leaving the building five to ten minutes late. I always asked why PM routes needed to have all the BS about P1 lates, SOS lates etc. sent to them, and why they couldn't be directed to only the routes they pertained to. Answer, it's easier thay way according to my manager. When I would mention that on calls seem to get directed to only the correct route (well, that's when dispatch sent them to the correct route, another post altogether!), my manager would just roll her eyes and walk away.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Sending messages about productivity over the powerpads while couriers are on the road flat out sucks. Put the info in the courier's mailboxes or hand them out personally. Another "people move." :biting:

Remember the first message of the day, which is "Be Safe" or some other variation on the same theme. I know that nobody here has ever looked at their brick while driving. All crap, all the time.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
We get stupid cut and pasted messages all day. Our dispatchers have to send out the same messages all day, every day. They are such stupid things as...

"Remember to stock your drop boxes"
"Remember to avoid backing"
"Remember this, remember that...etc..."

It's too the point that disp. knows we don't read any of these messages so, when they have a long winded message that they actually need us to read, the message starts out like this..."Ok guys, really need you to read this one"

Meh.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We get stupid cut and pasted messages all day. Our dispatchers have to send out the same messages all day, every day. They are such stupid things as...

"Remember to stock your drop boxes"
"Remember to avoid backing"
"Remember this, remember that...etc..."

It's too the point that disp. knows we don't read any of these messages so, when they have a long winded message that they actually need us to read, the message starts out like this..."Ok guys, really need you to read this one"

Meh.

Maybe we should send messages back. Here are a few suggestions:

1. "Leave us the eff alone so we can actually do our jobs".

2. "Remember to use that dead orb full of concrete on top of your management neck".

3. " What do you expect when you send me out over 195's, with a late start, and not enough room in the station for my truck?".

4. "Remember to stop promising help that will never be coming".

5. "Remember that sending someone out on a route blind is never a good idea"

6. "Remember that lying about how "easy" a route is will come back to bite you in the ass".

7. "Remember that playing favorites and effing over the same people repeatedly will have bad consequences".

8. "Remember that the Purple Promise is nothing but a joke, and that every time you tell someone to "live the Purple Promise", they're thinking you came to work strapped into a seat on the short bus".

9. "Remember that we delete almost everything, and that every time you send us a CYA message from Memphis legal we hate you and our jobs more than ever."

10. "Remember that when you took this job that you were a complete maroon and bought into the idea that you could actually make a difference".

11. "Remember that your wife is divorcing you because you've become a total A-hole and that your kids have pretty much forgotten who you are"

12. "Remember that we will eff you back every time you eff us".

Oh, and #13:

13. "We need a union".

whenIgetthere

2. "Remember to use that dead orb full of concrete on top of your management neck".

3. " What do you expect when you send me out over 195's, with a late start, and not enough room in the station for my truck?".

6. "Remember that lying about how "easy" a route is will come back to bite you in the ass".

7. "Remember that playing favorites and effing over the same people repeatedly will have bad consequences".

8. "Remember that the Purple Promise is nothing but a joke, and that every time you tell someone to "live the Purple Promise", they're thinking you came to work strapped into a seat on the short bus".

9. "Remember that we delete almost everything, and that every time you send us a CYA message from Memphis legal we hate you and our jobs more than ever."

10. "Remember that when you took this job that you were a complete maroon and bought into the idea that you could actually make a difference".

11. "Remember that your wife is divorcing you because you've become a total A-hole and that your kids have pretty much forgotten who you are"

Oh, and #13:

13. "We need a union".

Beautiful!

Cactus

Oh, and #13:

13. "We need a union".

14. You're a manager becuz you royally sucked at being a courier.

franknitty

The good thing is no one had to be rush to the hospital at the scene of the accident. The bad thing is a 21 year employee was ticketed for failure to yield the right of way, and witnesses near the accident informed the police officers the driver was driving faster than the posted speed limit which was 25 mph.

Cactus

The good thing is no one had to be rush to the hospital at the scene of the accident. The bad thing is a 21 year employee was ticketed for failure to yield the right of way, and witnesses near the accident informed the police officers the driver was driving faster than the posted speed limit which was 25 mph.

Sure hope the witnesses all had radar guns with printouts otherwise that's just hearsay. Nonetheless, if he was speeding it's because mangement pushed him too far.

Ghostwriter

New to posting here- however, not new to the tactics of bad mgrs. (I know this has been covered in another thread)- yet I can't resist to mention my concern. So by all the productivity push: stem times, sph, gap reports, break violations, service, safe driving, best practices procedures, batches, on time rtb, and the 2 or 3 min time to park your vehicle and do clerical it sure does seem like the expectation of perfection is the new norm. My question is once all the talent and experience has been chased out, fired, or if lucky enough retired from fedex who will pick up the slack? If hourly couriers are viewed as disposable then its not a far stretch that salaried employees will be very expendable as well... In the near future (if not now) quality will be a four letter word. So, if the proverbial whip keeps cracking on the front line, they should invest in their training department because that is where the most productivity will be in the future... high turn-over rate.

Cactus

New to posting here- however, not new to the tactics of bad mgrs. (I know this has been covered in another thread)- yet I can't resist to mention my concern. So by all the productivity push: stem times, sph, gap reports, break violations, service, safe driving, best practices procedures, batches, on time rtb, and the 2 or 3 min time to park your vehicle and do clerical it sure does seem like the expectation of perfection is the new norm. My question is once all the talent and experience has been chased out, fired, or if lucky enough retired from fedex who will pick up the slack? If hourly couriers are viewed as disposable then its not a far stretch that salaried employees will be very expendable as well... In the near future (if not now) quality will be a four letter word. So, if the proverbial whip keeps cracking on the front line, they should invest in their training department because that is where the most productivity will be in the future... high turn-over rate.

Welcome aboard Ghostwriter. Good to have you with us. :happy2:

Excellent observation there. Training is almost a thing of the past and Memphis seems to have forgotten that once the stable of talent have done an exit one way or the other, not many will hang around for this kind of treatment. It'll all come back to bite them, just watch.