Oh, the irony

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
There is a Center Manager in my district who has taken stress-related disability leave.

I'm not making light of this; stress is a real killer on the body and I wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy. This center manager is a human being with a family and my sincere hope is that he makes a speedy recovery.

The ironic part of the situation...is that this guy was transferred back into Operations after spending over 15 years...in IE.

The center he is now in charge of is a complete train wreck, with huge production issues. The impossible expectations that are stressing this guy out...may very well be the same impossible expectations he was a part of creating during his time in IE. Now that the shoe is on the other foot and he is having to try and make the numbers work in the real world ...the stress is literally killing him.

I hope he gets better and finds a way to manage his career without destroying his health.

I hope the powers that be choose to view this as a "teachable moment." I hope they choose to stand behind and support this man instead of throwing him under the bus and replacing him with a younger, cheaper person who will inevitably fall victim to the same issues if nothing changes.

There is a lesson to be learned here. Will we learn it?

NHDRVR

The fact that this is now common knowledge to the drivers should mean the end of his career as it was. Not that he will fired from UPS but management isn't taught to exhibit any type of weakness (stress) in front of the drivers.

What will training school say...

over9five

Staff member
I think that's quite funny! An IE guy sent to operations and has to try to achieve the impossible standards he helped to create!!!! AND he needed stress leave!

Talk about your poetic justice.

MobileBA

How about the on road supervisor that injured his back on one of the continuing harassment rides and had his injury denied by the UPS insuance carrier. I sense a common theme in the Oregon district.

LED

There was a management person in my center that got wind that he was going to be fired. He went out on stress leave for about 6 months. As soon as he came back he was fired.

soberups

I think that's quite funny! An IE guy sent to operations and has to try to achieve the impossible standards he helped to create!!!! AND he needed stress leave!

Talk about your poetic justice.

It would be funny except for the potentially life-threatening consequences of chronic stress on the human body. My grandfather died of the effects of hypertension...he had a stroke and spent the last 10 yrs of his life blind, impotent and bedridden. Its a terrible way to live and a worse way to die.

Yes, I suppose there is some "poetic" justice here...but the real justice will only happen when the powers that be choose to learn from this situation and make some changes.

Until that happens, there isnt any real "justice"...only another human being getting chewed up and spit out by the Big Brown Grinder.

As an IE man, this guy spent 15 years of his career twisting the crank on that grinder. Now hes just another piece of sausage.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
There was a management person in my center that got wind that he was going to be fired. He went out on stress leave for about 6 months. As soon as he came back he was fired.
Should have stayed out a year. That's what a guy did in our center, Came back for a couple of days and then he went out again and then he was fired.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Actually there are two lessons.

And we already know them.
IE controls everything and is the root of all evil.
Management eats their young or in this case, their old.

As an IE man, this guy spent 15 years of his career twisting the crank on that grinder. Now hes just another piece of sausage.

Having spent 10 years in IE ... he already was just another piece of sausage.

sosocal

I dream everyday that my counterpart in IE would run a center someday -- But it will never happen because everyone knows HE CAN"T....I often feel as a center manager much like Jack Nickolson in "a few good men" - people sit in their lilly white shirts in their far off desks putting together "goals" for my center as they sip on a diet coke---THEY CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH - once you realize this as a manager - you can then be very effective. HOAXTER has the secret to management success at UPS = IT IS WHAT IT IS....Within that framework, do your best, do it honestly and make a difference.

How about the on road supervisor that injured his back on one of the continuing harassment rides and had his injury denied by the UPS insuance carrier. I sense a common theme in the Oregon district.
It's a shame he failed to utilize safe lifting methods. I hope they made him recite all the safety drivel.

soberups

I dream everyday that my counterpart in IE would run a center someday -- But it will never happen because everyone knows HE CAN"T....I often feel as a center manager much like Jack Nickolson in "a few good men" - people sit in their lilly white shirts in their far off desks putting together "goals" for my center as they sip on a diet coke---THEY CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH - once you realize this as a manager - you can then be very effective. HOAXTER has the secret to management success at UPS = IT IS WHAT IT IS....Within that framework, do your best, do it honestly and make a difference.

YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH....UPS STYLE!!!:happy-very:

[video=youtube;vWhjtV-S8Ho]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWhjtV-S8Ho[/video]

Pump Up The Volume

There is a Center Manager in my district who has taken stress-related disability leave.

I'm not making light of this; stress is a real killer on the body and I wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy. This center manager is a human being with a family and my sincere hope is that he makes a speedy recovery.

The ironic part of the situation...is that this guy was transferred back into Operations after spending over 15 years...in IE.

The center he is now in charge of is a complete train wreck, with huge production issues. The impossible expectations that are stressing this guy out...may very well be the same impossible expectations he was a part of creating during his time in IE. Now that the shoe is on the other foot and he is having to try and make the numbers work in the real world ...the stress is literally killing him.

I hope he gets better and finds a way to manage his career without destroying his health.

I hope the powers that be choose to view this as a "teachable moment." I hope they choose to stand behind and support this man instead of throwing him under the bus and replacing him with a younger, cheaper person who will inevitably fall victim to the same issues if nothing changes.

Why do you care so much about management and their inability to make your life as a driver more efficient

We're all part of a circus. Take your money, maximize it, and laugh all the way to the bank

Last edited by a moderator:

browniehound

It would be funny except for the potentially life-threatening consequences of chronic stress on the human body. My grandfather died of the effects of hypertension...he had a stroke and spent the last 10 yrs of his life blind, impotent and bedridden. Its a terrible way to live and a worse way to die.

Yes, I suppose there is some "poetic" justice here...but the real justice will only happen when the powers that be choose to learn from this situation and make some changes.

Until that happens, there isnt any real "justice"...only another human being getting chewed up and spit out by the Big Brown Grinder.

+

Sober,
I apologize in advance because I'm going to be harsh and I'm not here to pick a fight. However, its my opinion that stress is a part of life. Deal with it and act accordingly. We all have to deal with the same world and if you and you're body can't deal with it, its not my problem.

You may succumb to stress as I succumb to cancer. People live and deal with it. Most people are going to suffer and die a bad death. Most likely, its going to happen to me so I'm not going to whine on this forum about stress and dying.

The world so full of P whussies who expect to not feel any pain anymore? Sorry, but its nature and you need understand that its a harsh ending for everything that is blessed enough to live...

trickpony1

Do you suppose Sober was, essentially, trying to say, "it's hard to count your money when you're laying in a hospital bed"?

Additionally, do you think Sober was trying to touch on the concept of "compassion"?

Last edited:

soberups

No ... because he was referring to IE and management.

I was referring to a human being who happens to be a member of management.

Your constant attempts to paint me as an IE hater are missing the point entirely.

We need an IE department...but we need it to support operations by providing accurate, realistic data.

From my perspective...we dont have that.

From my perspective, there is simply a lack of accountability in the IE dept. There arent any consequences for the incorrect or unrealistic expectations that are created...until a situation like this occurs and a human being winds up going out on stress disability.

Virtually every single problem that I have ever dealt with in my 22 yrs at UPS has had either unrealistic expectations, poor planning, unsuitable equipment and facilities, or a combination of those factors as its underlying cause. You wind up with a lot of good people...both management and hourly alike...being set up to fail by an IE department who should instead be setting them up to succeed.