OH What to do ??

UPSGUY72

I got myself in a little dilemma. My local covers 3 buildings which you can bid to any one. I'm a FT cover driver and during the last bid I got bumped to a different building. Not a big deal but instead of a 5min ride to work now it's 1 hour. I been driving just about everyday untill the last couple of weeks.

I haven't work at all this week. My SUP called me again this morning and said they didn't have a route for me. But I drove to the building anyways to get my flu shot. When I get there I saw and signed a bid sheet for a route ( not cover) in the 3 building in are local it's about the same distance that I drive now.

Here is the dilemma one of my ORS (one road SUPs) saw that I signed it and wasn't to happy he said "I trained you on all those routes ( 6 ) and that is what you do to me." He called me at home a couple hours later and asked why I signed it and I told him that I need to be working everyday. He said that he would find me work everyday if I removed my name from the and list just to show up tomoorow he would have a route for me. That's is fine but I kind of thinking that after this bid job get filled his finding me a route everyday will not happen.

Should I keep my name on the bid and piss him off or remove it and possible deal with not having work everyday.

Last edited:

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I'd say get in contact with HR, ask for some help and your problem. You need to work for your own reasons not theirs. Yet it might imply you drive an air route or on weekends. Anything should go because you want to be a team player for UPS, plus the long drive is more then you make in a week. Menction you are a team player, not that you work for yourself of course. You even could ask to come back into that closer building to work inside it while being summoned to work half a route for a time. Try to stay by there, work preload or other. If they ask you to work a route; be happy to. In time you will be given a route more often, thus leading to a cover or full time position. Over all, show you are willing to work at that building.

Dont remove your name, use it as a chip. You are so displeased with this, you are willing to drive elsewhere. Willingness to work is something left void in a country that wants A/c or heating and a nice comfy seat. UPS knows that as well. Just say you are willing to work, that should be the over all point.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Also consider if you would be in any better shape at the other building.
You may get there and then be in the same situation you are now.
Perhaps HR or the center manager in the new bldg might be able to help you get an answer.

and remember, "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". Sorry, I couldn't resist but there is some truth to that cliche.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Keep the bid.
Your sup could be gone tomorrow, in the meantime he can train someone else on those routes. That's his job, not a favor he did for you.

raceanoncr

Boy, have I heard THAT one before.

More than 30 years ago, still in package car, I was forced into coverage because there were no areas or routes to cover. No big deal, I guess. Didn't mind too much, I thot.

Supe then came up and asked if I wanted to do, what they then called, X-man, where you COVER AREAS OR ROUTES. I said, "Ain't that what I'm doing NOW?" He said, "Well, yes, but now you will be OFFICIALLY an X-man". Oh. Me: "No, I want my own area because I don't like going out COLD on all these". He: "Oh, we'll NEVER do that. We'll always go out first time on route to show you". Me: "Well, then, I guess so".

Next day, walked in. They: "You're doing X's route today." Me: "Who's going with me?" After this:lol::lol::lol::lol: was over and they sobered up and said, "Nobody, yer on yer own", I kinda realized that maybe their word wasn't quite reliable.

Do yourself a favor and not them, do what job you're suited for, qualified for and what is best for you and your family.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Boy, have I heard THAT one before.

More than 30 years ago, still in package car, I was forced into coverage because there were no areas or routes to cover. No big deal, I guess. Didn't mind too much, I thot.

Supe then came up and asked if I wanted to do, what they then called, X-man, where you COVER AREAS OR ROUTES. I said, "Ain't that what I'm doing NOW?" He said, "Well, yes, but now you will be OFFICIALLY an X-man". Oh. Me: "No, I want my own area because I don't like going out COLD on all these". He: "Oh, we'll NEVER do that. We'll always go out first time on route to show you". Me: "Well, then, I guess so".

Next day, walked in. They: "You're doing X's route today." Me: "Who's going with me?" After this:lol::lol::lol::lol: was over and they sobered up and said, "Nobody, yer on yer own", I kinda realized that maybe their word wasn't quite reliable.

Do yourself a favor and not them, do what job you're suited for, qualified for and what is best for you and your family.

Pretty much the same thing here (32 years ago). "Never send you out blind ... someone will be with you on the first day".
1/2 day the first day and never again in the next 40 plus routes I went on blind. After the first 2 or 3 - "Just give me a map and I'll be OK" ... rather do it on my own anyway.

UPSGUY72

Thanks guys. I thought about and have come to the conclusion that the SUP who said he would find me a route everyday doesn't have that ability to do that. So I'm going to keep my name on the bid list and have sent my HR person that handles the bids a email saying that. Also tomorrow when I show up to work I will make sure my name is still on the list. I have a 99 percent chance of getting the job I think I only have to worry about 2 or 3 people out of 180+ and those people I believe are happy doing what they do. If everything works out it will be nice to have my own route atleast untill the next 2 year bid.

One of my 3 SUP isn't going to be very happy with me.

fethrs

Thanks guys. I thought about and have come to the conclusion that the SUP who said he would find me a route everyday doesn't have that ability to do that. So I'm going to keep my name on the bid list and have sent my HR person that handles the bids a email saying that. Also tomorrow when I show up to work I will make sure my name is still on the list. I have a 99 percent chance of getting the job I think I only have to worry about 2 or 3 people out of 180+ and those people I believe are happy doing what they do. If everything works out it will be nice to have my own route atleast untill the next 2 year bid.

One of my 3 SUP isn't going to be very happy with me.
Good luck, don't worry about your sup being mad at you, it wont last. You need to think of you first, and your job. It may be hard at first but at least you will be working a full week now.

brett636

Keep the bid.
Your sup could be gone tomorrow, in the meantime he can train someone else on those routes. That's his job, not a favor he did for you.

Could not have stated it better. Side deals like that, if they really pan out, don't last forever. Do what is best for you.

The people in my life that I truly worry about keeping happy don`t work for UPS. Sign that bid. I will point out though that 1 hour drives get old quick though.

UPSGUY72

The people in my life that I truly worry about keeping happy don`t work for UPS. Sign that bid. I will point out though that 1 hour drives get old quick though.

Ya my wife will be alot happier if I'm working 5 days a week all the time since we pay $1300 a month to send are daughter and son to day care. I don't have a choise in the 1 hour drive right now I've been doing it 6 months already. Anyways only a little over a year untill the next 2 yr bid and hopefully by than I'll be able to bid back to the building 2 miles from my house.

Overpaid Union Thug

I think its strange that you can move back and forth from one building to another. We have a hub 30 minutes from our center in one direction and a center 30 minutes north and another 25 minutes south of us. Nobody from any of those buildings can work in the others. We are all stuck where we are.

UPSGUY72

I think its strange that you can move back and forth from one building to another. We have a hub 30 minutes from our center in one direction and a center 30 minutes north and another 25 minutes south of us. Nobody from any of those buildings can work in the others. We are all stuck where we are.

It's all in one local and there are about 185 FT drivers including feeder drivers one building has about 125, one with about 40 and one with about 20.

Cementups

Box Monkey
SCrew your sup and his false promises. My old center manager wasn't too happy when I switched centers, but he got over it. They always do.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I would keep my name on the bid list too. You need to work to support your family, supervisors come and go. Thats why I go to work.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I guess I don't understand. I was under the impression that work was done or not done based on seniority.Your sup cannot just decide that tomorrow you have enough seniority to work. Also, if your a full time driver and laid off, your allowed to bump into 2 part time positions if you have the seniority, or even bump a 22.3 job if you have seniority. Unless I am missing something here. Your getting screwed.

brett636

It's all in one local and there are about 185 FT drivers including feeder drivers one building has about 125, one with about 40 and one with about 20.

I somewhat share big_arrow_up's curiousity with your situation. Where I work we have 3 buildings which make up 7 centers. You cannot move from one building to another unless your route moves to that other building. All buildings are covered by the same local as well so this whole idea of switching buildings at bid time seems odd.