Ohio local 348 gets special treatment?

Inthegame

I don't understand?
How can one small local in Ohio be exempt from joining Teamcare like the rest of the state?
How could they possibly be in the position to offer something superior or comparable to Teamcare?
Why wouldn't they want to be part of the reported enormous buying power of Teamcare?
Perhaps each local in Ohio can enjoy the same autonomy as Local 348?
I am embarrassed that I missed this loophole in the Ohio Rider.
Thanks chuchu for opening my eyes.
I look forward to Inthegame's explanation.

Because they were already in a union run healthcare plan. They are also in there own retirement plan. They have to be 57 to retire. They had a president in their local who had a lot of clout a while back. His name was Darrow. His son is now the local president. He's inherited a lot of the clout but it's not the same. They also only have about 300 ups members in this local. Also he is in charge of the Ohio rider.

I believe the key phrase is "existing Union plan". I also believe InsideUPS is the best source on BC regarding this plan.

C

chuchu

I believe the key phrase is "existing Union plan". I also believe InsideUPS is the best source on BC regarding this plan.
Evidently ours will be "existing" when it exists. Waiting for an indepth explanation. Not just why it exists but why it's allowed to be separate. If ours isn't sustainable evidently 348's is? No wonder they voted a strong yes to the koolaid.

Inthegame

Evidently ours will be "existing" when it exists. Waiting for an indepth explanation. Not just why it exists but why it's allowed to be separate. If ours isn't sustainable evidently 348's is? No wonder they voted a strong yes to the koolaid.
You really need an indepth explanation? While I'm unfamilar with terms of their plan, I'd suspect it covers L348 members not just from UPS as do other Union run Taft Hartley plans. Regardless the key here is it's an existing Union H&W plan. UPS employees that were covered under the Company plan are being moved to TeamCare.
This smells like a manufactured conspiracy, from the "usual suspects".

InsideUPS

The batphone at IBT headquarters must be on the fritz again???
Where are the "usual suspects"?

Bubblehead....Chuchu..... thank you for the entertainment here on BC.....and believe me...I do not say that in a disparaging way.

If you two really only knew all the facts behind local 348 and their healthcare plan.....you would not be so eager to encourage other locals into individual plans. I'm sure that both of you know that the local 348 MOU has been in the Ohio Rider for the past eleven (11) years (starting with the August 1, 2002 contract). Do either of you know what "special treatment" 348 is getting with their current healthcare plan? My only suggestion here would be..... "not to envy something that may actually be less than what you have now".

FYI...there are other locals in Ohio not listed in the Ohio Rider that have separate healthcare agreements. I happen to be in one of them..... Separate healthcare agreements are NOT without significant risk. I was initially all for separate healthcare agreements until I started to realize the potential risks involved. In addition, I could not justify my strong belief in Unionism while at the same time dividing the Union by promoting a division on healthcare. It's simply too hypocritical to do so.

I respect both of you for your beliefs and understand your thinking. Bubblehead....as much as you and I may not like it at times..... the IBT is looking out for more than UPSers in their thinking and negotiating.... but ....that is what a Union is all about... TeamCare is simply a good alternative to the UPS plan that many of us were in. Diluting the pool of UPSers in the TeamCare plan is not a good idea. (the exception I would make is in locations that do not have access to Quest Diagnostics, etc.. that provides 100% coverage for XRays, etc.)

While we're on "Contract Trivia".........What I would like to know is why did Local 100 dominate the Ohio Rider back in the 1997-2002 contract?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
All this time 348 had something besides the coveted company plan and no one was outraged?

...and you know this to be the case how?

Maybe they were outraged, and if what I'm reading and hearing here, they probably should be now.
Keep going along to get along.
It suits you.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Bubblehead....Chuchu..... thank you for the entertainment here on BC.....and believe me...I do not say that in a disparaging way.

If you two really only knew all the facts behind local 348 and their healthcare plan.....you would not be so eager to encourage other locals into individual plans. I'm sure that both of you know that the local 348 MOU has been in the Ohio Rider for the past eleven (11) years (starting with the August 1, 2002 contract). Do either of you know what "special treatment" 348 is getting with their current healthcare plan? My only suggestion here would be..... "not to envy something that may actually be less than what you have now".

FYI...there are other locals in Ohio not listed in the Ohio Rider that have separate healthcare agreements. I happen to be in one of them..... Separate healthcare agreements are NOT without significant risk. I was initially all for separate healthcare agreements until I started to realize the potential risks involved. In addition, I could not justify my strong belief in Unionism while at the same time dividing the Union by promoting a division on healthcare. It's simply too hypocritical to do so.

I respect both of you for your beliefs and understand your thinking. Bubblehead....as much as you and I may not like it at times..... the IBT is looking out for more than UPSers in their thinking and negotiating.... but ....that is what a Union is all about... TeamCare is simply a good alternative to the UPS plan that many of us were in. Diluting the pool of UPSers in the TeamCare plan is not a good idea. (the exception I would make is in locations that do not have access to Quest Diagnostics, etc.. that provides 100% coverage for XRays, etc.)

While we're on "Contract Trivia".........What I would like to know is why did Local 100 dominate the Ohio Rider back in the 1997-2002 contract?

First off, I want to admit that I think I have been morphing InsideUPS and Inthegame into one poster in my mind.
Not sure if it is because of their common avatar or their similar posting styles as gentlemen who don't take these debates personally.

I have never asked for what Local 348 has, as I do not know what that is.
What I am exploring is the obvious autonomy available within supplements and riders.
I am insulted the way the IBT has tried to trick us into thinking that it was UPS who wanted out of the healthcare business, instead of the truth, that the IBT wanted us in their plan.
I think I fully understand the hidden dynamics at play here, but if I am going to be a martyr again, I feel I deserve to know it up front.
How can the revolving door that is Central States be seen with anything but sceptism by a UPSer?

​Why would I know anything about Local 100?

...and you know this to be the case how?

Maybe they were outraged, and if what I'm reading and hearing here, they probably should be now.
Keep going along to get along.
It suits you.
Members of local 348 are generally happy with their benefits and have always been. They showed that with their vote count in both of the last ballots. Union run and proud. In my experience 348 is one of the better run locals in Ohio compared with the joke locals or the ones that are laughed at.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Members of local 348 are generally happy with their benefits and have always been. They showed that with their vote count in both of the last ballots. Union run and proud. In my experience 348 is one of the better run locals in Ohio compared with the joke locals or the ones that are laughed at.

Are you a member of Local 348?
If so, were you presented with your other options within the Central Region?
Sounds to me as if you and InsideUPS have a different take on what "generally happy" means.

BTW, your avatar is a major distraction.
I mean,...what an ass.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Sounds to me as if you and InsideUPS have a different take on what "generally happy" means.

I mean,...what an ass.

Hopefully it isn't his daughter?

I mean,...what an ass.
No I'm in a much bigger local in Ohio. I know members of local 348 quite well. These benefits are all the member have ever known. Funds like 348 are in are very dangerous. If I was a member of that local I would have fought hard to get into the Teamcare. Eventually Obamacare will cripple their healthcare. In the short term I think it will be sustainable but in the next contract they will be in Teamcare. Everyone will be fighting to get in.

Inthegame

First off, I want to admit that I think I have been morphing InsideUPS and Inthegame into one poster in my mind.
Not sure if it is because of their common avatar or their similar posting styles as gentlemen who don't take these debates personally.

I have never asked for what Local 348 has, as I do not know what that is.
What I am exploring is the obvious autonomy available within supplements and riders.
I am insulted the way the IBT has tried to trick us into thinking that it was UPS who wanted out of the healthcare business, instead of the truth, that the IBT wanted us in their plan.
I think I fully understand the hidden dynamics at play here, but if I am going to be a martyr again, I feel I deserve to know it up front.
How can the revolving door that is Central States be seen with anything but sceptism by a UPSer?

​Why would I know anything about Local 100?
Being morphed with InsideUPS in your mind is a compliment I don't deserve, but thank you. I believe due to the skyrocketing HC cost increases over the last dozen years, the autonomy in Health Care coverage locals once desired has faded away. L348 most likely had their plan long ago and are or will struggle going forward to continue to provide equal coverage bigger plans offer.
I'm guessing you'll be disappointed in your pursuit of the "obvious autonomy" locals within the Central enjoy as you'll find no locals are starting HC or Pension plans anymore. I share that disappointment.
I am as unconvinced the IBT had a secret plan as you are convinced they did. I know TeamCare reps personally and they were scrambling all summer with this. No one likes surprises and had a plan been in place these guys would have known.