Ohio local 348 gets special treatment?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Who's outraged? When everyone in your neighborhood is appearing to be getting robbed except one neighbor you start looking and asking questions.
I didn't care about anyone else's plans until my plan diminished
. No one said that 348's plan was coveted we just wanted details if possible. We're used to the Union looking out for us at contract time but now we're fending for ourselves.

I was told their BA was in Dayton for the healthcare information meeting and when the members of local 957 asked him why 348 was set apart in the lou he responded that it wasn't any of their concern. THAT kind of response peaks people's interest.
This isn't communist Romania. We are still (so far) able to ask questions.

I guess we're learning more about the healthcare issue as we go. Any of you blame any member for looking out for their family's health and welfare?
I wouldn't be as concerned about the TeamCare switch if the Union hierarchy had not allowed the fricking company to fill the TA with trash language that we, the dues paying members, will have to deal with for the next five years.
If the jerks in the lavish IBT offices in washington will allow this to happen when the"tree is green" what's going to happen when it's "dry"? Greedy idiots.

The third line in your post says it. "I didn't care about anyone else's plan until my plan diminished". That's been my point all along. Many of us had weaker plans than the UPS Plan all this time.

The third line in your post says it. "I didn't care about anyone else's plan until my plan diminished". That's been my point all along. Many of us had weaker plans than the UPS Plan all this time.
There's my boy the voice of reason. Man you've come a long way. Right here is the poster child for always being in a union plan and it's always been good and he shows his appreciation by telling it like it is on this forum. Thanks brownmonster.

No I'm in a much bigger local in Ohio. I know members of local 348 quite well. These benefits are all the member have ever known. Funds like 348 are in are very dangerous. If I was a member of that local I would have fought hard to get into the Teamcare. Eventually Obamacare will cripple their healthcare. In the short term I think it will be sustainable but in the next contract they will be in Teamcare. Everyone will be fighting to get in.
What local are you from???

C

chuchu

I understand that issue. Lack of trust breeds contempt.....not misery. Misery comes from hopelessness. I'm not hopeless. There will be a vote for Gen Pres someday and that gives me hope. I'm not bucking the healthcare issue as much as the overall language changes as I've always said. When it comes to looking at other avenues for bettering yourself that is only normal.

C

chuchu

You statement that 407 healthcare is already in Central States is not an accurate statement along with other information in your post. The part-time employees are in the company plan. You should try to make sure you give accurate information.
You, also, could take a lesson in reporting about things that you know, not speculation of hypothesis while correcting others.
The poster didn't say ALL of 407 was in that healthcare and HOW do you know if Bubblehead, myself or Hoaxster (well, maybe not Hoax) have ever filed a grievance unless you're a troll and are allergic to yellow sheets?
Going to get pretty quiet when this contract is over....except the hoopla about the stock that's going to hit $110+ a share after the part time hosing starts generating extra revenue. Not that we're hiring ft drivers (or sups) anyway.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Come on now you're reaching. That's how it's always been. We lost about 17 routes to that local like 13 years ago. That's an old style local. No bonus and I like that. I have friends who are over there. The benefits are nothing special and you have to be 57 to retire I believe. One of the best things about that local is their president is the man in Ohio.

just a steward not a chance.

That's business as usual. If you have their benefits you would bitch up a storm. They are good but no matter what nobody is going to be happy because misery loves company. No disrespect.

Come on you don't want that. Let it go and Will yourself to the force of teamcare.

You summed it up.

Man you are older than dust and you're still sharper than these guys. What's your secret????????????????

You are going there and you will like it.

They still do son. What local are you from?????????

Yea they do have a superstar so that's good but those benefits have been like its for decades.

There's my boy the voice of reason. Man you've come a long way. Right here is the poster child for always being in a union plan and it's always been good and he shows his appreciation by telling it like it is on this forum. Thanks brownmonster.

No it's a great poster on this forum and another great voice of reason.

You're a little late to the thread son, but thanks for your 2 cents.
Seems appropriate that your waiting on change.
Oh yea, that's right, nothing is changing for you.
Maybe we will see if we can get Cleveland the enhancements we got to your beloved TeamCare this time.
I think they deserve the same level of benefits as the rest of the state, don't you?

Inthegame

Going to get pretty quiet when this contract is over....except the hoopla about the stock that's going to hit $110+ a share after the part time hosing starts generating extra revenue.
You, also, could take a lesson in reporting about things that you know, not speculation of hypothesis while correcting others.
Do you read what you post?

Stonefish

The poster didn't say ALL of 407 was in that healthcare and HOW do you know if Bubblehead, myself or Hoaxster (well, maybe not Hoax) have ever filed a grievance unless you're a troll and are allergic to yellow sheets?
Going to get pretty quiet when this contract is over....except the hoopla about the stock that's going to hit $110+ a share after the part time hosing starts generating extra revenue. Not that we're hiring ft drivers (or sups) anyway.

Read the 4th page of the link you posted (vote count), it does state 407 is already in Central States. What is the ratio of part-time vs full-time? As far as filing a grievance maybe you have filed a grievance but you didn't respond about presenting grievances or negotiating contracts. It's easy to criticize and say what you would do until you are sitting in that seat. I am not a "troll" but I guess if you can't respond you resort to calling people a troll to deflect.

InsideUPS

I am convinced in the wake of the many concessions contained in the Master and the Central Region supplement.
Had it been the company that was indeed looking to get out of the healthcare business, Ken H would have had a HUGE bargaining chip.
Should we feel better thinking that he just got his head kicked in at the negotiating table?
Were you one of the employees that were taken out of service to usher around and support the TeamCare reps while they were touring your Local?
Is this how you came to know TeamCare reps personally, or is it just a coincidence that you know them?

Bubblehead........ UPS Teamsters to varying degrees focus on achieving the following employment related goals:

1) Strengthening our own personal position at UPS (better wages, pensions, general contract language that affects them personally)
2) Strengthening the position of our co-workers at UPS (concern over part-time wages, progression, etc.)
3) Strengthening the position of the Union at UPS (insuring that our Union representation exists well into the future)

Each one of us has individual feelings on how much emphasis we put toward achieving any one or a combination of these three goals. In a perfect world, we should care equally about all of them. They are integrated and and all equally important. In reality and unfortunately, there is a significant number of UPSers that put more emphasis on only achieving goal number 1. Some, like yourself and others I believe...... truly do care about all of them equally.

I am a believer in constructive criticism of our Union leadership if it has the potential of achieving goal #3. There comes a time however when constant criticism can actually weaken our Union and create division. I have asked myself many times at what point do I stop criticizing and start supporting our Union leadership which hopefully leads to achieving goal #3. The truth is.... none of us actually has all the information to be critical of our Union leadership on a continuing basis.... UNLESS....we absolutely...undeniably have ALL the facts, considerations, etc.. that that they face when making decisions. Negotiations are far more complex than most people will ever realize. At some point....I believe it is important to put your faith in our leadership, unite, and move forward knowing that our representatives did the best they could under the conditions at that time. I trusted Ken H back in 1997.....I still have faith in him today...

I'm really not that different in my skepticism, criticism, and beliefs than you Bubblehead. Our only difference is that I now want to move forward with the language we have and make the best of it. Am I happy with all the language?....not at all. I don't like part-timers having to wait 4 years for top wage when they already waited 10+ years to go driving. Does it affect me personally....no. I truly believe that this whole package is simply "dollars and cents" on one big Excel spreadsheet. There is a bottom line number that remains the same (the SUM...the maximum that UPS will compensate...the last, best, and final offer if you will) while individual categories are changed. Yes....the part-time column often does subsidize the full-time wages and benefits.... which in reality is not all that unfair from a Union leadership perspective. Hopefully we will see this "bottleneck" of part-timers waiting for driving jobs ease as the new pension amounts take effect 1/1/14.

P.S. On an entirely different matter - Hopefully all you drivers are exercising your Over 70 rights (Article 44) as Orion continues to be implemented. There is excellent language in our contract that individuals often fail to enforce or utilize. Part-timers.....make sure you also enforce Article 44 language (Sec.2 Sec. 3). I now see many packages coming through the system with a small H on the label that is not properly marked with highlight tape. etc...

Inthegame

Bubblehead........ UPS Teamsters to varying degrees focus on achieving the following employment related goals:

1) Strengthening our own personal position at UPS (better wages, pensions, general contract language that affects them personally)
2) Strengthening the position of our co-workers at UPS (concern over part-time wages, progression, etc.)
3) Strengthening the position of the Union at UPS (insuring that our Union representation exists well into the future)

Each one of us has individual feelings on how much emphasis we put toward achieving any one or a combination of these three goals. In a perfect world, we should care equally about all of them. They are integrated and and all equally important. In reality and unfortunately, there is a significant number of UPSers that put more emphasis on only achieving goal number 1. Some, like yourself and others I believe...... truly do care about all of them equally.

I am a believer in constructive criticism of our Union leadership if it has the potential of achieving goal #3. There comes a time however when constant criticism can actually weaken our Union and create division. I have asked myself many times at what point do I stop criticizing and start supporting our Union leadership which hopefully leads to achieving goal #3. The truth is.... none of us actually has all the information to be critical of our Union leadership on a continuing basis.... UNLESS....we absolutely...undeniably have ALL the facts, considerations, etc.. that that they face when making decisions. Negotiations are far more complex than most people will ever realize. At some point....I believe it is important to put your faith in our leadership, unite, and move forward knowing that our representatives did the best they could under the conditions at that time. I trusted Ken H back in 1997.....I still have faith in him today...

I'm really not that different in my skepticism, criticism, and beliefs than you Bubblehead. Our only difference is that I now want to move forward with the language we have and make the best of it. Am I happy with all the language?....not at all. I don't like part-timers having to wait 4 years for top wage when they already waited 10+ years to go driving. Does it affect me personally....no. I truly believe that this whole package is simply "dollars and cents" on one big Excel spreadsheet. There is a bottom line number that remains the same (the SUM...the maximum that UPS will compensate...the last, best, and final offer if you will) while individual categories are changed. Yes....the part-time column often does subsidize the full-time wages and benefits.... which in reality is not all that unfair from a Union leadership perspective. Hopefully we will see this "bottleneck" of part-timers waiting for driving jobs ease as the new pension amounts take effect 1/1/14.

P.S. On an entirely different matter - Hopefully all you drivers are exercising your Over 70 rights (Article 44) as Orion continues to be implemented. There is excellent language in our contract that individuals often fail to enforce or utilize. Part-timers.....make sure you also enforce Article 44 language (Sec.2 Sec. 3). I now see many packages coming through the system with a small H on the label that is not properly marked with highlight tape. etc...
Another home run, you should be on the Tigers coaching staff...