Oil Problem Solved. No Middle East, No New Drillling and In Fact Less Drilling

Comes from computer controlled injector pump and oil fired injectors with fuel injected dirctly into the cylinder and air pushed into the cylinder by the turbo charger. As they say, timing is everything.

Never worked on diesel engines but did work on gas engines for several years, always assumed they worked pretty close to the same except for the injectors on the diesel.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I could see Ford bringing out a Ranger replacement with a 2.0l ecoboost. Lot's of power, light weight and cheap gas (compared to diesel).
Ford has a new Ranger , not going on sale here, that comes with 3 engine options , 2 which are diesels.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Ford's Eco-boost is a turbo-charged engine.
Europe for years has turbo charged just about every car they made, even little 1.2 liter diesels and they get GREAT mileage.
America still thinks turbo -charged engines are for race cars and heavy duty trucks.
Pick-up trucks from the 60's to today still get crappy mileage (12-20) despite all the improvements that cars have enjoyed.
The last time small diesel pick-ups were sold here was in the mid-80's, and surprisingly many are still on the road.
Today's diesels are not the old soot out the exhaust pipe monsters, with a special blue fluid( carried by most auto supply stores ) injected into the exhaust nothing but water vapor comes out.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
"
Mahindra planned to sell the diesel SUVs and pickup trucks starting in late 2010 in North America[23] through an independent distributor, Global Vehicles USA, based in Alpharetta, Georgia.[24] Mahindra announced it will import pickup trucks from India in knockdown kit (CKD) form to circumvent the Chicken tax.[25] CKDs are complete vehicles that will be assembled in the U.S. from kits of parts shipped in crates.[25] On 18 October 2010, however, it was reported that Mahindra had indefinitely delayed the launch of vehicles into the North American market, citing legal issues between it and Global Vehicles after Mahindra retracted its contract with Global Vehicles earlier in 2010, due to a decision to sell the vehicles directly to consumers instead of through Global Vehicles.[26] However, a November 2010 report quoted John Perez, the CEO of Global Vehicles USA, as estimating that he expects Mahindra’s small diesel pickups to go on sale in the U.S. by spring 2011, although legal complications remain, and Perez, while hopeful, admits that arbitration could take more than a year.[27] Later reports suggest that the delays may be due to an Manindra scrapping the original model of the truck and replacing it with an upgraded one before selling them to Americans[28] "

wkmac

"
Mahindra planned to sell the diesel SUVs and pickup trucks starting in late 2010 in North America[23] through an independent distributor, Global Vehicles USA, based in Alpharetta, Georgia.[24] Mahindra announced it will import pickup trucks from India in knockdown kit (CKD) form to circumvent the Chicken tax.[25] CKDs are complete vehicles that will be assembled in the U.S. from kits of parts shipped in crates.[25] On 18 October 2010, however, it was reported that Mahindra had indefinitely delayed the launch of vehicles into the North American market, citing legal issues between it and Global Vehicles after Mahindra retracted its contract with Global Vehicles earlier in 2010, due to a decision to sell the vehicles directly to consumers instead of through Global Vehicles.[26] However, a November 2010 report quoted John Perez, the CEO of Global Vehicles USA, as estimating that he expects Mahindra’s small diesel pickups to go on sale in the U.S. by spring 2011, although legal complications remain, and Perez, while hopeful, admits that arbitration could take more than a year.[27] Later reports suggest that the delays may be due to an Manindra scrapping the original model of the truck and replacing it with an upgraded one before selling them to Americans[28] "

Free market suppression?

Gee, now who would want something like this and who would benefit? Must be those welfare queens looking for a handout from the tax! Damn Double Dippers!
:wink2:

bbsam

Staff member
Never worked on diesel engines but did work on gas engines for several years, always assumed they worked pretty close to the same except for the injectors on the diesel.
Same concepts. Alot of what diesels have used in the past is making it's way to gasoline engines such as direct injection and turbo-charging.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Ever watch BBC America.
Their show Top Gear just had on a challenge of driving from London to Edinburgh, Scotland ( roughly 400 miles ) on a single tank of diesel. The car used had a V-8 with twin turbos , averaging close to 40mpg with careful driving.

Same concepts. Alot of what diesels have used in the past is making it's way to gasoline engines such as direct injection and turbo-charging.
Makes me wonder why automakers didn't do thins years ago. I suppose because the driving, car buying public didn't demand lower gas mileage.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Wonder how good that mileage is on a snow laden road?
I don't care what shoes you put on it, I bet it doesn't like the white stuff. I'm positive my sister won't be using one as her winter rat up in the Adirondack Park. (hehehe)

Having said that, it is nice to know Chrysler is thinking about promoting this technology(AGAIN). Must be when they went broke, the realized the oil companies weren't the ones bailing them out.

bbsam

Staff member
The cool part is that like racing motorcycles of the 60's, high performance can come from low weight and aerodynamics rather than huge horsepower.

The cool part is that like racing motorcycles of the 60's, high performance can come from low weight and aerodynamics rather than huge horsepower.
By high performance you mean faster speeds? I know that is the accepted evaluation but not my thinking of high performance. IMO, HP is delivering a load at a reasonable speed with as little expense as possible. Lighter vehicle weight and aerodynamics don't help that much. The heavier the load the more vehicle weight you need.
BTW, high speeds, racing etc have never taken a priority with me. Not saying that people who like lean, mean, and fast machines are wrong, just not my cuppa.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I have driven 4 cyl stationwagons for years now. I traded for a V6 Turbo AWD. OMG!!! I forgot how much I love speed. I have to be careful. My foot is full of lead. Look down one minute doing 65, next 85. YIKES!! I don't need the ticket!!

I have driven 4 cyl stationwagons for years now. I traded for a V6 Turbo AWD. OMG!!! I forgot how much I love speed. I have to be careful. My foot is full of lead. Look down one minute doing 65, next 85. YIKES!! I don't need the ticket!!
With the exception of about 5 years I have been driving pickups for 40 years. The 5 years was sheer misery. I guess I could have had a go fast little sporty car but they just didn't suit who I was. People are different and have different needs/likes.

I guess I have always been:

[video=youtube;yFJoE1GNNtM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFJoE1GNNtM[/video]

bbsam

Staff member
By high performance you mean faster speeds? I know that is the accepted evaluation but not my thinking of high performance. IMO, HP is delivering a load at a reasonable speed with as little expense as possible. Lighter vehicle weight and aerodynamics don't help that much. The heavier the load the more vehicle weight you need.
BTW, high speeds, racing etc have never taken a priority with me. Not saying that people who like lean, mean, and fast machines are wrong, just not my cuppa.
not true really. Even semi's frequently use air dams on the top of tractors to reduce drag co-efficient which is improving aerodynamics. Vehicles large and small use aluminum block engines, plastics, etc to reduce weight and thus performance. Really I was referencing the three wheeled vehicle article and suggesting what is true for any vehicle: lower weight combined with better aerodynamics yields a better platform for performance and efficiency. Case in point: the old grand prig racing bikes only put out about 60 hp but could reach speeds of 120 mph. In fact, what has been gained in engine technology is oft given back in aerodynamics? Why? Because aerodynamic properties don't look" cool".

not true really. Even semi's frequently use air dams on the top of tractors to reduce drag co-efficient which is improving aerodynamics. Vehicles large and small use aluminum block engines, plastics, etc to reduce weight and thus performance. Really I was referencing the three wheeled vehicle article and suggesting what is true for any vehicle: lower weight combined with better aerodynamics yields a better platform for performance and efficiency. Case in point: the old grand prig racing bikes only put out about 60 hp but could reach speeds of 120 mph. In fact, what has been gained in engine technology is oft given back in aerodynamics? Why? Because aerodynamic properties don't look" cool".

My point is that aerodynamics and lighter weights don't improve hauling, pulling capabilities which is my idea of high performance in a vehicle. I agree they do aid in reducing fuel consumption and speed, just not in payload abilities. There does though need to be a balance in the two.

Example: This past week I was , off and on, working of getting rid of some hedges next to my house. After cutting them close to the ground I still had the root balls to get out. The light weighted car in Menotyou's video would not have done the job even if you could find a place to hook up a chain. The tires would just spin on the driveway do to lack of traction. When I pulled them out with my heavier pickup, I didn't even have to accelerate to get the job done.
saving me around $300 bucks to have a professional to do the job. That is what I call high performance.
Aerodynamics would not have made a difference and a lighter weight would have been a detriment.

Last edited: