OJS certification & discipline for performance

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
My spohr can fluctuate between 15.6 and 19 depending on the setup of my route. How do you lock in someone when the stop count and geographic location of the stops can vary daily?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
My spohr can fluctuate between 15.6 and 19 depending on the setup of my route. How do you lock in someone when the stop count and geographic location of the stops can vary daily?

In the real world, you cant.

We arent talking about the real world, though. We are talking about management world; and in that world, the only thing that matters is the number of SPORH. Such minor details as stop count, geography, number of pieces handled, logic, common sense, safety, service etc are all irrelevant.

In management world there is a number, and you will generate that number by any means necessary, and nothing else matters.

purplesky

purplesky;

Guess you didn't read what I wrote, did you? In short, I think I was very MUCH "on topic", and - if you cared to notice - I stated flat-out that....

"to my DIRECT KNOWLEDGE, there have been terminations based on "production" here and there at least since the implementation of elemental time studies in the mid-to-late 1970's". Got that? In short, damn right I could name some.

As for your comment of...

"UPS has one of the most efficient and productive workforces in the world and they are UNION!! GO FIGURE! "

...let me ask you; do you think that UPS's workforce is that "productive" because they are UNION? I.e. - did the union hire it, train it, keep it motivated, etc? And how does all that jive with the fact that UPS's workforce is ***primarily NON-Teamster*** today?

Look, "purplesky", if you want to keep your head buried in the sand (and, in the process, keep the posterior part of your body exposed to that "purplesky" name-sake of yours), then you go right ahead; after all, that no different from what Teamsters generally have been doing for decades. But what has that attitude got them? I'd submit that losing the jobs of well more than a million members might be reason enough for guys like you to raise your heads up out of the sand to face reality.

Hey PobreCarlos,
Thanks for another fancy post. The irony here is huge. You are ripping on UNION workers who work their A** off for a very profitable company in a crap economy. You have the nerve to come on here and tell my Brothers and Sisters and fellow Americans that they dont have a right to a good wage for a hard days work. THE LAST THING THIS COUNTRY NEEDS RIGHT NOW IS MORE JOB LOSS. DO YOU UNDERSTAND THIS POBRECARLOS? MY FRIEND DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHY THIS COUNTRY IS ON THE DECLINE? WE ARE LOSING JOBS AT AN ALARMING RATE AND IT TEARS ME UP THAT YOU DONT SEE THE LIGHT IN THE PURPLESKY!!!! IF YOU LOOK UP TO THE HEAVENS YOU WILL SEE A GRAPH THAT DISPLAYS TWO LINES. BOTH LINES ARE HEADING TO YOUR HOME IN HELL. THE FIRST LINE REPRESENTS THE SHRINKING MIDDLE CLASS(UNION JOBS). THE SECOND LINE ALMOST MIRRORS THE FIRST LINE TO YOUR DOOR IN HELL. THE SECOND LINE REPRESENTS THE DECLINE OF THE AMERICAN ECONOMY. I BET YOU UNDERSTAND THIS ECONOMIC CONNECTION BUT YOU WILL COME BACK WITH ANOTHER FANCY POST BASHING UNIONS. THE GRAPH DOES NOT LIE. DO YOU EVEN LIVE IN THIS COUNTRY? YOU DONT SOUND AMERICAN. YOU SHOULD BE SUPPORTING UNIONS AND EVERYONE IN THE MIDDLE CLASS IN 2009. YOU PROBABLY THINK WALMART WORKERS ARE OVER PAID DONT YOU? YOU HAVE POSTERS OF RUSH LIMBAUGH ABOVE YOUR BED. YOU HAVE A FOX NEWS LUNCH BOX THAT YOU DISPLAY AT WORK. YOU WEAR GLENN BECK BOXERS AND WEAR THEM SOILED SEVERAL DAYS IN A ROW BEFORE WASHING THEM. YOU PRE-ORDERED SARAH PALINS BOOK. I KNOW YOUR TYPE. OK I AM GOING TO THE STORE NOW TO FUEL THE ECONOMY WITH MY TEAMSTER WAGE. THANKS FOR UNDERSTANDING POBRECARLOS.:wink2: GOD BLESS AMERICA!:happy-very:

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
There is no such thing as a "3 day lock in ride" mentioned in the contract.

The one successful production termination that I am aware of involved an employee who ran something like 15 SPORH while supervised and 10 or 11 by himself. He was screwing the company and he deserved to get fired.

There is a normal statistical variation in SPORH that will inevitably occur on a daily basis. My local has taken the position...successfully...that if the company wants to discipline based upon statistically insignificant decreases in unsuervised SPORH they will have to provide documentation that shows (a) the weight of each package picked up and delivered on the supervised vs unsupervised days (b) the exact duration of each and every traffic delay, stop sign and red light (c) the exact distance walked off for each stop(d) the number of irregs, signature stops, send-agains and COD's handled on each day and (e) the number of times the handtruck was used on each day in question.

This is all data that is, theoretically at least, available thru the Telematics system that the company has invested so much money in.

So far, the company has declined to make all of this data available and no one has faced anything more severe than a warning letter over production.

That all sound great, but if your local opens the door to using telematics you are opening up a huge can of worms for all your members. So far no one that I know of has been disciplined for telematics due to its inconsistancies. If you start using it to prove your cases, you have opened the door for the company to do the same. I would suggest that you never mention telematics at a grievance hearing!!

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
In the real world, you cant.

We arent talking about the real world, though. We are talking about management world; and in that world, the only thing that matters is the number of SPORH. Such minor details as stop count, geography, number of pieces handled, logic, common sense, safety, service etc are all irrelevant.

In management world there is a number, and you will generate that number by any means necessary, and nothing else matters.

As I said earlier, if you can produce documented proof that there is good reason for you not making your locked in SPORH, you will have a great case. Things to keep track of would be, miles, number of packages, route changes(different areas) comparison of bussiness vs. residential stops, addition of apartment complexes, multiple over 70lb packages you do not normally have, there may be others but thats a start.

If all these numbers are close on comparison to your lock in ride yet you are still falling short, you could be in trouble. Thats all i'm saying. Don't go out there thinking no matter what you do you will not get in trouble over production, it is happening and will continue.

browniehound

Dragon, whipping the horse would be "hurry up and stop talking to Suzie" or the customer offering us a water from the fridge in the back and the supervisor saying "no, we are all set" even though I was dehydrated. I think you understood what I meant...

PobreCarlos

purplesky;

Yes, I agree that....

"THE LAST THING THIS COUNTRY NEEDS RIGHT NOW IS MORE JOB LOSS."

....that's why it upsets me to see so many unions figuratively piss those jobs away. (an recent example? See the Teamsters in reference to the jobs they HAD at Metalworks in Luddington, MI. And we won't even get into YRCW right now) You see, "jobs" -over the long term - are ALWAYS (got that? ALWAYS!) going to migrate to the most efficient, most cost-effective (which is NOT necessarily the same as "cheapest per hour") labor alternative.

Now, if our domestic union workers can be competitive and PROVIDE that type of labor, then jobs will stay here and/or with union members. If they can't, then the jobs won't stay around either. No amount of finagling, or legal shenanigans, or any other un-natural artifice is going to change that.

It isn't a case of "ripping", or "bashing", or anything of the sort. It's simply the way things "are".

If, as a union member, you want subsidies (which, apparently, is what you're after...read "welfare") to maintain an ARTIFICIAL "middle class", then bully for you. But you have to remember that again, over the long term, those you're going to be asking to PROVIDE the subsidy (again, read "welfare") aren't going to be so inclined for very long. Nor, for that matter, are they even going to BE around for very long! Again, just the way things are.

Anyway, I stand by my point; i.e. - if the "organized" American worker wants to bemoan the vibrancy of the American economy and his fragile place in the "middle class", then he needs to look in the mirror in order to see the problem....and also the SOLUTION to the problem. And I'm telling you right now that it won't be in the form of an eternal "free lunch". Life just doesn't work that way.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Anyway, I stand by my point; i.e. - if the "organized" American worker wants to bemoan the vibrancy of the American economy and his fragile place in the "middle class", then he needs to look in the mirror in order to see the problem....and also the SOLUTION to the problem. And I'm telling you right now that it won't be in the form of an eternal "free lunch". Life just doesn't work that way.

Purplesky if you have any questions, members of the UAW (ie: GM) have some free time on thier hands and would be more than happy to answer your questions or maybe clue you in.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.

Purplesky if you have any questions, members of the UAW (ie: GM) have some free time on thier hands and would be more than happy to answer your questions or maybe clue you in.

Don't you think incredibly bad product lines had a larger inpact on what consumers were willing to buy than the price? If you consider the fact that most hybrids will cost more than their fuel guzzling cousins it seems a weak point. Unions have been successful for many boom years and will continue to be in lean ones. Maybe changed, but still unions. Retirement plans, 8 hour days, 40hour weeks, paid vacations, sick days are all positive results from labor's influence. Would you, in management and other detractors, want to see these concepts done away with for us and yourselves alike?

browniehound

Its almost a fact that your SPOHR will increase with a manager riding with you for three days. I liken it to a jockey whipping his horse. If he's not whipped he won't run as fast.

If a manager rides with you and corrects 10 items over a 3 day period (documented and in the letter of record) how is that whipping the horse? Oh by the way the driver was in off the clock by 630 everyday, also did 10-15 more stops a day and reduced over allowed by .25.-.40 ??

Dragon,
I just re-read this post and I would like to clarify what i said earlier because I can read where you are coming from now.

Being corrected 10 times over is not "whipping the horse", its the supervisor doing his/her job. If the driver's problem is the methods than I'm all for the 3-day ride.

It becomes a different issue when every driver is given a 3-day OJS. Unless 100% are not good enough at the methods then I can say you're "whipping the horse". If 100% drivers are not good enough at the methods, than 100% of the managers are not good enough either. We are all human, I think:dissapointed:.

I can't disagree that you will get a better number when riding with me. Its as simple as not being allowed to talk to the customer or waiting for a pick-up account to finish its last 1 or 2 parcels. On the OJS I can't wait and its OK, but if I'm on my own and leave I get a complaint called in and disiplined.

If you hold me to those standards, I can't make your number consistently. I will come close consistently and thats all I can offer. Its human nature and everyone knows it. We will work faster and talk less with a manger with us.

Without the manager, I sill think I do a pretty darn good job as does 95% of us. Instead of the manager/sup. wasting 3 days or $1000 in resources to prove the driver can save the company $40/week by doing .3 SPHORH more a day, perhaps the management focus should be in other areas of the business?

If it were MY business I would focus sup. attention on load quality, misloads, trace, and the right place to add/cut work.

One misload alone is costing us that .3 SPHORH you hope to achieve with the 3-day OJS ($1000 sup labor cost). I was directed to deliver a Basic/Shipper Release misload 10 minutes off my trace. It took me 20 minutes to get back on trace. At $44/hour for 20 minutes, was it worth it for the company for me to deliver a parcel generating $3 in revenue? After this instruction I would sell all shares held!

My load stinks, I should not have to sort and be able to just step into the load and select the next package (purpose of PAS/EDD). I should also not have to drive 1 mile past stops I could do to ones that were added to me "to give me enough work"?? Why can't I just come back to the building when I'm done with my work? Why isn't that enough? Why pay me the extra hour to inefficently deliver 10 stops from another driver who is right there to give me "enough work"?

It just doesn't make any sense to me? Why not just pay the driver who is right there 30 minutes of labor instead of paying me 1 hour of labor and fuel costs in driving to the area to "give me enough work"???

When I'm done with "my work" I "head in", lol. Why give me more work that is so far out of the way, in which I don't know the streets or #'s in the dark because "you don't have enough work"?

I don't get it. Isn't it enough work if I finish it and punch out? If I pulled this stunt as a manager of a small business the owner would throw me out the door with a law suit pending!

Not at UPS center level. Its business as usual.

Talk about someone, a group of people, or a company not "Getting The Big Picture", to coin a phrase, LOL...

Brownie:peaceful:

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Brownie Hound,

You are right on all points. Lots of times we waste resources on dumb stuff just to prove a point. I guess for every manager doing something dumb a bunch of other managers are doing things right.