OJS fun mirror trick

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Workhorse 700 trick. Adjust left mirror so it is near the top of the front side window, not the drivers door window. This way, every time sup reminds you to tuck mirror, it will stick out no matter what. Spend a lot of time with a puzzled look on your face!

browniehound

I have never tucked my mirror. Never going to stick my hand out. When I can't see what's coming. Rather have write up. Just a mirror

I'm not sticking my hand, arm, head, or anything out that window either. I keep telling the sup. this when he insists I pull it in on a busy street and he just shrugs it off and says "its the method and its what UPS wants you to do to avoid an accident". Apparently UPS would rather your arm or hand be struck than their $5 mirror.

Think about it. They want you to pull your mirror in because of the chance of it being hit by another vehicle on a narrow road. But, your putting your hand in the same place as the mirror that UPS fears so much will be struck.

I refuse to put my arm out anywhere I can't see what's coming.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I refuse to tuck my mirror in, pushing the mirror out to "tuck" it is, in my mind, an end range motion. We're told to avoid end range motions, so that's how I avoid one right there

barnyard

KTM rider
Pulling in a mirror is an end range motion that will tear up your shoulder over time. I have been a driver for 12 years and have heard of 1 mirror being hit. That is not a big enough problem for me to even give a 2nd thought. Tearing up a shoulder is.

MD Dan

Dangerous and not cost effective either.
If you fold the mirror only 75 times a day and it takes only 1 second to pull it in and 1 second to push it out, that is 150 seconds or 2 1/2 minutes.
The center I drive in puts approximately 80 routes on the road daily(it's a big center). 80x2 1/2= 200 min a day or 3 1/3 hours a day.
At the overtime rate of approximately $50/hr that comes to $167/day or $835/week.
$835 a week to POSSIBLY save a $7 mirror?
In only 27 years of driving I've never had a mirror hit while parked but I expect it could happen any minute:-).

I'm frankly surprised that UPS doesn't FORBID us to fold the mirror in.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I just keep my driver's side mirror adjusted as such. It's constantly tucked but still usable.
Untitled.png

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Constantly tucking the mirrors in will, over time, loosen the bolt that holds the arm in place. When this happens, the mirror will fold in on you from its own wind resistance while you are driving down the highway at 55MPH. No thanks.