OJS , Methods , Rebuttal

A

anonymous6

Looking at your secret super terrific ideas to screw up an OJS all I see is your standard basic ordinary correct delivery methods that the driver should be following anyway.

the point i was leading to is this. you posting here have to be careful that the advice you dispense does not give the wrong impression. A three day OJS ride is a serious event and If they think they can follow your posting here and somehow evade responsibility then they could get burned.

Most people will do a better job when observed regardless of how many little gimmicks they come up with to pad the day. Its human nature that you will relax less and hustle more when the man is following you around with a clipboard.

Some of the posters here give advice that indicates they have worked hard finding ways to pad the day. If they worked as hard finding creative but safe ways to get the packages delivered then they would never face the aggravation of a three day ride.

orangputeh response;

I don't think he was listing secret super terrific ideas. it was clear to me that he was encouraging drivers to use the methods we were trained to use to do our jobs professionally and safely.

It was a super terrific post.

A

anonymous6

There have been a lot more management people fired for playing around with the numbers than package car drivers fired for poor production. Talk about padding the numbers, that comes from the top down.

plus one brother

browniehound

I would agree with you in only the most general sense; unfortunately, there are those who do not fit this description in every center and this is where the focus should be, not on those such as yourself who obviously takes pride in and works very hard at his job. We have a couple of slackers in my center who will soon enough find themselves under this scrutiny, perhaps deservedly so. One driver in particular is always an hour over yet cover drivers manage to bring it in close to if not scratch.

Upstate,
I agree with you 100% and could have not said it better myself. A small minority don't fit my description of the hard-working, most efficent drivers in the industry. So, why not focus management's attention in this area?

Maybe focus it on pre-load misloads? This is my point of contention. Can you believe how much money UPS would save if drivers didn't have to break trace and deliver misloads? If we hardly make a profit on a single residential ground delivery, how can you justify making a driver deliver it off his route? It must be for reputation is all I can think off.

Half the people I deliver have no clue when their delivery is to arrive. It always leaves me very un-comformatable when they say "I'm not expecting anything, what is it?" Its a house call and I hand it to him/her, and say "I wonder what it could be?" I need to get back to the truck and continue to deliver while she asks "do you know where this came from? Then a light goes off in her dim mind: OH Wait! I know what it is! Its my kid's backpack, thank you!".

Good grief! Why can't I just hand someone a package and walk back to the truck? Why must people ask what it is? How would I know more than them, when its addressed to them?

Also, why won't the package scan when a residential customer comes out to meet you, lol? Now, you have to stand there and enter the 1Z when she just wants her bikini from VSC. How cool do we look when this happens???? Ha ha

tarbar66

Upstate,
I agree with you 100% and could have not said it better myself. A small minority don't fit my description of the hard-working, most efficent drivers in the industry. So, why not focus management's attention in this area?

Maybe focus it on pre-load misloads? This is my point of contention. Can you believe how much money UPS would save if drivers didn't have to break trace and deliver misloads? If we hardly make a profit on a single residential ground delivery, how can you justify making a driver deliver it off his route? It must be for reputation is all I can think off

Very well said. I also used to wonder why the preload numbers were so important when their failures cost the drivers so much time=big$$$$. Preloader cost, $8.50 to $15.00 per hour-Drivers cost $20.00 to $40.00 plus of overtime.
Also, why won't the package scan when a residential customer comes out to meet you, lol? Now, you have to stand there and enter the 1Z when she just wants her bikini from VSC. How cool do we look when this happens???? Ha ha

I always got a signature on VSC if possible or if I didn't know what she looked like!