Ok, it's way too

McGee

Damn cold for this:

I was driving down the interstate, cruising no probs... The windshield is dirty, so I turned on the wipers and hit the bus son for the windshield washer to come out ... Did it the first time very little came out so I hit the button again.... All of a sudden I hear a pop, and all dash Gage's DIE ( all power GONE),!!!!!!! I'm like really ? Now?? Damn! So I pull to the exit ( luckily I could get there), and pull over shut everything down and hope like hell I can start this beast, otherwise it's getting REAL cold real quick.

Luckily I got this thing started , but damn what a way to wake up! Lol.... And it's too cold to sweat bullets but was damn close!

It's one of the newer freight liner cars.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Holydriver

Damn cold for this:

I was driving down the interstate, cruising no probs... The windshield is dirty, so I turned on the wipers and hit the bus son for the windshield washer to come out ... Did it the first time very little came out so I hit the button again.... All of a sudden I hear a pop, and all dash Gage's DIE ( all power GONE),!!!!!!! I'm like really ? Now?? Damn! So I pull to the exit ( luckily I could get there), and pull over shut everything down and hope like hell I can start this beast, otherwise it's getting REAL cold real quick.

Luckily I got this thing started , but damn what a way to wake up! Lol.... And it's too cold to sweat bullets but was damn close!

It's one of the newer freight liner cars.View attachment 69435
Freightliners suck. Workhorse are the best. They are faster, the heaters work better, and they can make a proper right turn

McGee

Freightliners suck. Workhorse are the best. They are faster, the heaters work better, and they can make a proper right turn
I'm surely realizing that now, That and the 'shift inhibit' crap, ( Ok so if we have 'company' they are gonna freak the first time I put the parking brake on and shift into neutral and then when I need to go I can't because the dash will beep and 'shift inhibit' shows up) are gonna drive me nuts!

Hell I'd be better off driving a stick...

8 Hour Day

We have a few different new Freightliners. The gas powered 800s are silly fast, but beep impossibly loud if your lights are left on, hazards are on or brake isn't set. I appreciate the brake warning... The rest is maddening. They're also in the shop app the time.

The gas powered Freightliner 1000s are fantastic, though.

I still prefer my old diesel 1000, though... Reliable, quiet and tight turning radius.

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm surely realizing that now, That and the 'shift inhibit' crap, ( Ok so if we have 'company' they are gonna freak the first time I put the parking brake on and shift into neutral and then when I need to go I can't because the dash will beep and 'shift inhibit' shows up) are gonna drive me nuts!

Make sure you mash down on that break real good while shifting into drive. That'll stop the shift inhibits. It took me forever to get the hang of it.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
We have a few different new Freightliners. The gas powered 800s are silly fast, but beep impossibly loud if your lights are left on, hazards are on or brake isn't set. I appreciate the brake warning... The rest is maddening. They're also in the shop app the time.
It won't beep at you for the lights being on if you turn the dash dimmer all the way down.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The gas powered Freightliner 1000s are fantastic, though.

I still prefer my old diesel 1000, though... Reliable, quiet and tight turning radius.

Dimming the dashboard lights will make the beeping go away.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown

The 855/856 new freightliners are awesome here. The shift inhibit is set properly so you only run into it if you try to shift while actually moving or revving the engine at a dangerous level. The new 861 ones are pretty decent too except that dumb wedge under foot if I remember right. Some of the in between models have the obnoxious overly sensitive shift inhibit, the higher step and higher rear bumper and the dumb wedge under the right foot.

I had a workhorse 700 on a previous route (672xxx) and I loved it until it just stopped working one day. It just wouldn't start back up at a stop and it was in the shop for months. It was later reassigned to a different route and I saw it get towed into the shop recently. It was peppy, had great heat, didn't have the dumb foot wedge, very low step, but suspension was ridgid and the shelves didn't slope, so if you hit a bump or didn't baby the corners in the morning you'd empty the shelves into the aisle. It had that nice shelf next to the door you could set packages on. Later workhorses got that dump cage/handrail blocking that ledge like the new freightliners have that are obnoxious. Worthless as a handrail and takes up too much of that ledge.

Bottom rung

New freightliners
Pro. They're quiet. The blinker shuts off the hazards.
Con. Turn radius is horrid. Two point turn in a cul de sac. Shift inhibit.

Alarms are too loud, yes if you shut the dimmer off you only have to listen to the four way flasher tone.

The pulley/weight setup on the bulkhead door is junk and doesn't work on a road with a crown.

The shifter will rub on your knee, the roof isn't translucent so dome lights and removal of sunglasses are required to see the labels on pkgs.

They're more narrow than a workhorse. ...and of course, the emergency brake is to far away requiring a end range movement to set it. Like always.

Let's not forget they're a complete basket case and we've always got a few red tagged for an electrical issue.

Holydriver

I forgot about the shift inhibit thing. Thanks for reminding me. I was on a two lane road, 55 mph zone, and had a delivery for a house that sits on that road. No turn around, your only option is to back into the beginning of their drive way and make the delivery. Well, naturally I'm coming to that delivery location and there are tons of cars behind me. I turn on my hazards in advance, then switch to my turn signal hoping the people behind me will understand the UPS truck in front of them is going to make an awkward maneuver. Set myself up for the reverse into the drive and BOOM shift inhibit! I see in my mirrors the dumb asses behind me still barreling down on me. I freak out then finally get safely into the driveway. Stupid shift inhibit.